Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    spot-on! And you try in vain convincing them to do such and waste half a day to do the work for them.

2. andyadams

andyadams Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a itf14 developer,i used to use Windows 7 to help me do my work,but recently i upgrate it to Windows8.

I've been using computers since the days of the Commodore Vic-20 and BASIC and PC's with DOS. Every version of Windows since 3.1 has been an improvement. Windows 8 is just plain awful. The fact that i've had to Google SO many things to find my way around is an absolute joke.

I'm all for getting used to new designs, software, new version, updated interfaces, etc., but this does not fall into those categories. It's simply not meant for a desktop or laptop computer. Perhaps for a tablet, but not for keyboard and mouse and for work tasks or general enjoyment.

I am beside myself with just how this could ever make it to the market. I understand that new technology sometimes has to be force fed, but Windows 8 is just not practical - it's bad.

I downloaded a program that adds the Start BUtton back and it's made a HUGE difference. Still, the screen is always swapping back and forth to the Start Screen and desktop, that sidebar is a joke, and general navigation is like finding your way through a maze with a blindfold on.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you install Classic Shell, you will NEVER EVER see the Metro screen unless you press the Start Button then press the Start Screen shortcut from the top! there is no way it would do it randomly as you're saying!

As for the annoying side popup menus, right click on your taskbar, choose properties, then go to the 2nd tab (Navigation) and set your options as below:

[​IMG]

4. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    good note re: Classic Shell but I would like to add a couple things - I've reconfig'd 8 a number of times for customers.
    - In PC Settings - simply turn off Tablet Features
    - In mouse settings/hardware - turn off edge swipes

It appears that in Windows 10, the system detects hardware and turns off Tablet on first run unless you're using a hybrid.
    I don't reco Win10 preview for real production systems but from what I have seen it is going to be a win. It has to be, for Micrsoft's trendline is looking a lot like Sun Micro's circa 1998

5. MichaelGillett

MichaelGillett Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Andyadams, have you seen these tutorial videos? Some of them provide very useful information http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/tutorial

6. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have a cottage industry fixing win 8, and actually like 8.1, for the record.
    8.1 is a huge step from 8.0. Some laptops neede a bios update to get all the features stable etc so check your mftr for that first and if bios upd is available do it. install 8.1 if you haven't.

for those that like Win7, Classic Start is a good product well debugged at this point. it will do most of the work for you but others are:
    - turn off TAblet features. Depending on your model and how slick the 8.1 upgrade is/was, it may already be in the OFF condition. see PC Settings
    - Turn off corners.
    - Hit Mouse in the Control Panel, hardware tab, somewhere in advanced features [hdwe depending] will be swipes. turn off swipes.

these steps and tweaking Classic Start via its settings panel will make Win8 for the most part indistinguishable from 7, except 8.1 is faster, more mem efficient, faster booting, etc.

7. bobbell

bobbell Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a asp.net barcode designer.A client's it guys messed around to give me access to their network. Since then all connections are showing up as limited. Resetting the stack would fix such problems in windows7, I can't find the cmd prompt console on win8 however. Help!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Press the windows key, type cmd and then hit enter? Basically the same as in Win 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.