Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My pole is Classic Shell :O) + disabling\deleting\trashing all aps, makes it tolerable as a win7 substitute if ever needed (w8 has some good stuff hidden under the metro mask).

off topic, your avatar, visited this place http://www.citromuseum.com some years ago, a staggering collection of "like new" old Citroens.

2. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm really late to the game. What are my options for getting a copy of W8 at one of the promo prices?

I haven't recently bought a PC. Is that the main requirement?

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    The main requirement for the current $40 discount pricing on Windows 8 Pro is that you buy before February. If you recently bought a computer with W7, the upgrade is usually around $15.

4. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see, thanks. I thought there may have been some additional promos for students, people with .edu e-mails, etc.

The marketing is certainly working - I wouldn't mind paying $15 to have a copy of Win 8 just in case, but I can't justify $40 when I have Win7 on my laptop plus an additional license for a future hopeful desktop build.

I remember there was a period a couple months back when people were getting Win8 for free by doing the media center upgrade or something similar. However I am not sure if that was legit or some kind of glitch/exploit.

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Unless it's something more than I'm aware of, that's just a free download that MS will be charging for soon to restore the Media Center functionality to Windows 8 Pro (it was included in W7 Professional). It wasn't a free download of the entire OS.

If you are a student, do make sure to check whether your school offers W8 for free through MSDNAA though. I got it for free for my X120e through UCLA Engineering.

6. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    It is a exploit.

7. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm guessing the loophole was closed quickly and keys were revoked or something, then.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Courtesy of XKCD:

[​IMG]

9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    To a point this is correct. You can never please everyone, so the best policy is to try and please the majority. M$'s problem with Windows 8 is they seem to have confused is the majority and who is the minority and the respective preferences . This especially with the majority at the time being their loyal PC customer base and the Windows 8 beta trial groups.......

10. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Majority do not clean-install windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.