Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The answer is NO. In fact, this is one of the major omissions in that interface, and one of my main criticisms. I know that this was a conscious decision, and not an oversight. All the more reason to feel that the person (or committee) at Microsoft who came to this decision should be taken out and shot... Seriously, my guess is that this will be one of the very first capabilities to be added back into a future revision of Windows 8.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:

Agreed, I am now looking into Ubuntu 12.10. I am dual booting windows 7 with that distro now. I figure stop giving money to M$ and look for an alternative before Windows 7 support runs dry. If enough desktop users run away from the existing M$ culture because of windows 8 then maybe they will rethink it and be more considerate of future changes........................

3. the nightfly

the nightfly Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know who Thurrott is, but I've heard much the same prediction elsewhere -- that Win9 will dispense with the desktop and with much compatibility with per-existing software developed with the WinSDK. I think, in retrospect, the move to developing full-screen apps using HTML5 and JavaScript as the prime development tools may be the more significant Win8 development, even over the Metro start page.

Of course, there would be something odd in a "Windows" that essentially eliminates any vestiges of the windowing metaphor. Maybe they should consider renaming it to SurfaceOS, which would seem to be a more accurate title.

4. Wine

Wine Newbie

Reputations:
    windows 8, worth the $15 upgrade for what it brings in, even if there are some minor hardware compatibilities with the system I am using

5. beanwolf

beanwolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dropped windows 8 within an hour. The second I didn't see a start menu I completely lost it. Truth be told, it's just too cumbersome to use when win7 is still a perfectly stable and effective alternative.

6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Thanks Pirx :)

7. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To get back Windows 7 features missing in Windows 8 install the Classic Shell.
    Welcome to Classic Shell

On February 1st Windows 8 prices are going up.

The Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $199.99 MSRP (U.S.).
    The Windows 8 upgrade edition will be available online and at retail for $119.99 MSRP (U.S.).
    The Windows 8 Pro Pack will cost $99.99 MSRP (U.S.).
    The Windows 8 Media Center Pack will cost $9.99 MSRP (U.S.).

If you bought an eligible Windows 7 PC between June 2nd and January 31st, 2013 – be sure to register for the Windows Upgrade Offer and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99 ERP*** (U.S.).

The last day to register for the Windows Upgrade Offer is February 28th, 2013.

8. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Alot of people don't want to pay the discounted price. Who in their right mind will pay the extra or full retail costs? I am eligible for the $15 with this machine but I do not want it, at least as is................

9. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll take that off your hands if you really don't want it! ;)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    As this entire thread shows, W8 is proving to be an extremely polarizing OS...personally, I'm not touching it with a 30-foot pole, but am certain that there's quite a few folks who'll buy "the latest and greatest" MS OS at full retail...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.