Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterhobbs

misterhobbs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been using Windows 8 for about a month now and one of the biggest annoyances is how it keeps tossing me back to the Start Screen when I'd like to stay on the desktop. For example, if I open a pdf document that I downloaded, as soon as I close it it tosses me back to the Start Screen.

It does run pretty fast, though.

2. ExMM

ExMM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The consumer preview will last until January 15th 2013.

3. Fountainhead

Fountainhead Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I'm the sysadmin at a modest-sized company with 300 desktops. We have Software Assurance and can install whatever OS version that we want, so we could easily deploy Windows 8 with no additional software costs. We're 100% Windows 7/Office 2010 and have never shy'd away from upgrading quickly.

That said, after using the developer preview and consumer preview I can guarantee that Windows 8 will never be deployed on a desktop or laptop our environment. Ever. And we deployed Vista.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Windows 8 will be the least adopted desktop OS in the enterprise of any Windows version ever. I'd bet pretty big money on it.

4. Helios22

Helios22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^^ I hope MS has burn heal after that post!

The thing is that we've all already used Win 8. the only difference from RP to a year from now is bug fixes but all the things we dont like about it are still going to be there.

5. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I made the terrible mistake of installing the preview of the upcoming Office 2013....which for some reason shows up as "Office 365". Well after 2 days it refuses to load any type of Word Document. It gets stuck and says that it failed. SO i try to uninstall it thinking I'll return to Office 2010. Umm yeah it doesn't work. So now I'm stuck with a useless pos program and no way to be productive in terms of my papers and powerpoints.....

I'm starting to hate this company so much.

6. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Try using System Restore. A restore point was most likely created during the install process. You should have no problems.

7. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, your terrible mistake was loading up Beta software and not having a backup plan for its inevitable failure. No one in their right mind would even load a beta on a production machine.

8. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    aarrr.... works about as well as .NET 4.0, which apparently stumps the brightest/best MS followers out there, if they happen to have MS's "best" OS: Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional.
    I quit fighting with that one... something so buggy that even your top experts can't remedy other than via their final answer in the many threads on the subject: "wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS"....

9. TheAtreidesHawk

TheAtreidesHawk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And I've tried System Restore and it didn't work. I don't know if my laptop just doesn't have enough space set aside for it or whatever but its cool. Its an old laptop anyways and I'm just dealing with it until I save up from my new job for a new one.

And yes I'll continue to be pissed of at Microsoft. Just because its beta doesn't mean it should be impossible to remove? Its one thing if it crashed. That is expected and I wouldn't cry over it. But I don't think its unreasonable to expect a company to release a beta that if you're not satisfied with can be removed.

Moving on....

10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some interesting takes on metro in two PCMag articles:

This one says that Microsoft had no real interest in the traditional desktop (and, I might add, laptop, as well):

The other one states, quite correctly IMHO, that Metro makes no sense when used with a mouse and keyboard:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.