Windows 8: The Thread

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, but the question is, will they want to? :rolleyes:

Interesting, too, that Microsoft would lower the price for upgrades to this level...

2. Helios22

Helios22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they want everyone to get onto the Metro train!

pun intended

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I see the pricing as a direct response to Apple pricing upgrades to Snow Leopard, Lion, and presumably Mountain Lion at $29. A $100+ upgrade just isn't palatable to people anymore. I think it's a good move.

As to people saying they hate it and thus it costs to much...well then don't get it. I don't like pistachio ice cream. But I don't complain that a $5 quart of pistachio ice cream is overpriced because I don't like its flavor and I'd only be willing to pay ten cents for it. A $5 quart of pistachio ice cream is a reasonable price for people who like its flavor. I don't buy it, but I don't complain it's overpriced; it's a reasonable price for people who prefer its flavor.

4. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Why would MS take into account Apple's upgrade pricing scheme?
    Wouldn't that imply some correlation between switching OS's and their respective upgrade pricing schemes.
    Going from Win7 to Mountain Lion bares a lot more costs given all hardware and software purchases necessary.
    I see this only as move to increase Win8 uptake among older WinOS users

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    No no no, I'm not comparing the cost of going Win 7 to Win 8 with Win 7 to Mountain Lion. I'm comparing the price of going from Win 7 to Win 8 with the price of going Lion to Mountain Lion. I've heard more than one person complain that a Windows upgrade costs a lot more than an OSX upgrade. The low price of this upgrade may be in response to that perception.

It may also be because Win 8 will open up the Windows Marketplace for people, which then has the possibility of being a source of future profit for Microsoft. They don't need to profit on the upgrade itself if they can profit on post-upgrade transactions.

6. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What exactly is the point of windows market place? I understand what it does, I just don't see how it can be successful given that people are free to release what they want where they want, without the need to give microsoft a cut of their profits. It's not -at least I hope it's not- like the walled garden system apple have set up with the iphone.

If it is at all like the system on the iphone then it won't stay that way for long.

7. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Won't you be able to use a proper DevKit that simplifies the process of creating Apps for the platform?

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It's more like the App Store for OSX than the App Store for iOS. It's a convenient, centralized source of apps, but NOT your exclusive source of apps. You can use it if you want to, but you're free to buy from other sources too. I've bought several apps for my MacBook Pro on Apple's App Store for OSX, including Knights of the Old Republic.

9. Lnd27

Lnd27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    is refs feature still will be for server editions at start? or they change something?

thanks

10. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I understand how it works, I just don't see any significant reason why you would publish your software on it when microsoft will be taking some of your profits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.