WIndows 8 question: How do you make a new user account without having to input 8 letters of password?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Thundr, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thundr

Thundr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I want to make user accounts with either no password or shorter passwords than 8 letters. Is this possible?

My basic user account was able to have no password at all (0 letters) but when I tried to make other accounts I couldn't find a way around the 8 character password.

The reason why I tried to make new accounts is because after downloading a couple proxy software, the internet stopped working and I didn't know how to fix this problem.

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  3. Ole man

Ole man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have Windows 8 on any computer in front of me, so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense or is inaccurate, but is there an option for a local, non-Live linked account? I seem to remember there being one, and that shouldn't require the same 8 character password as a live account.

4. Thundr

Thundr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. In that website it said:

..so I typed in netplwz and unchecked the "must have a password thing" thing but it still doesn't seem to work. When I tried to input new password as blank, it doesn't work.

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've haven't tried using Hiren's Boot CD with Windows 8, but Hiren's has a password remover tool in it's DOS utilities. You can try using that to clear a password from the Windows registry for that account. I've used it numerous times in Windows XP/Vista/7, but having no experience in using it for Windows 8, I can't promise you it will work.

Are you logged in as an administrator when you follow the steps for the netplwz? Try logging in under other accounts once they're set up and access that netplwz to see if that box is checked for each user (it should be a local setting, not a per user account one, but just in case).

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The easiest thing to do is to have a full-length password and then set a PIN for login purposes. That way it's four quick keystrokes to log in. You may even be able to set a pin that's fewer than four characters, but I haven't tried. Charms > settings >change PC settings > users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.