Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aslsw

aslsw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, can someone post the instructions to create a recovery disk on a USB drive (sorry, my technical language might not be great).

I think this is great advice, but I have no idea how to do it and can't find a Samsung tool to assist.

2. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    • Is there no name or anything in its Properties that might tell you what it is? What category is it under? Can you try and get Windows to find drivers for it?
    • Download a benchmarking utility, any one will do. The HD4000 is a decent card, so an undemanding game will run fine on it.
    • There's nothing available for Windows 8.1 yet.

3. zlThomaslz

zlThomaslz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also play FSX. FSX Does not like Windows 8.1 or the current AMD Driver at all. I cant find the 13.4 driver to try that, but i have tried 13.9 and 13.11 and it CTD's everytime i go to the menu in game.

4. Flickerdart

Reputations:
    That Intel driver causes the black screen error on my Chronos. I will try one of the custom drivers instead. Will they work fine with 8.1?

Edit: Okay, something's definitely wrong. The Intel driver keeps reappearing (and re-screwing everything up) even after total removal with Driver Fusion like UniL suggests. What's going on here?

Edit 2: Ok, I have the 10.18.10.3282 driver installed now without it screwing anything up, and Radeon driver 13.200.16.0 but brightness still doesn't work.

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Check the first two steps in this guide. That will create a bootable factory image backup on a USB stick so you can always get back to factory state. Most models need a 32GB stick. This feature is only available on models delivered with Win8.

Older Win7 models (using Samsung Recovery Solution 5) have a more complex backup procedure. Check this post for overview and this post for details.

6. maxwellr

maxwellr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody!

I just clean installed Win 8.1 pro to my NP700Z5A , with amd 6750m.

With current v9.2 drivers, I have following issues:

Capture.PNG

The amd driver crashes at startup and whenever I launch catalyst center. Also gpu-z shows the message above when launched.

Is there any specific method of installing drivers so it works, or win 8.1 is not/will not be supported by my laptop?

Has anybody with same laptop installed win 8.1 ?

Thanks!

7. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Brightness control is depending on the Setting application as well as the Intel driver. If the Intel driver is running fine, then you have to wait until Samsung release new Setting application.

Mine is the same laptop, from 2012. The current 9.002 from Samsung does not work on 8.1. You have to find the custom built from Leshcat or LeeKM like I said in my previous post. Of course this laptop is supported, but Samsung have to release the correct drivers.

One thing that I notice about the current graphic from Samsung is that it is really suck on Windows 8, not mention might be 8.1 too. They release only 1 version for the 2012 models, 1 version for 2013 models, then no update after that. For the 2012 models, you cannot install separate AMD and Intel drivers from their website because the drivers installation don't permit that. However, for the newest 2013 models, you can actually install both of them without any problem. I wish they could just take the drivers from Leshcat or LeeKM and release it with their tweak. I tried them both before my machine went to service, and the result are much better. Like in the case of GPU-Z, if you have Windows 8 and you only install the one from Samsung, open GPU-Z will tell you that it could not detect the Open-GL no matter what settings are on the switchable panel. But the custom drivers are actually work.

maxwellr likes this.
  8. Flickerdart

Reputations:
    At the times that I didn't have the Intel driver installed at all (the generic Microsoft driver from 2006 was doing the work) brightness control at least worked with the slider in power management. Seems a bit odd that it would need the Setting app to do it.

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Settings is only needed to adjust brightness with Fn-keys and within the Settings Control Center. But it relies on the display driver to actually change the brightness. So if the Windows Power Management slider doesn't work, Settings wont work either. OTOH, if Settings is broken, adjusting brightness with Fn-keys won't work -- even if it works with the Windows slider.

10. Flickerdart

Reputations:
    I'm just having difficulty understanding how having no driver could be more functional than having a driver, even if the driver is garbage.

I'm guessing Settings isn't to blame here, since Fn+F2 and F3 produces the little box in the top left corner reliably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.