Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This. I make a complete system image in case the worse happens, that way it will just be like it was when it was working. Unfortunately Microsoft have removed the UI way of doing the backup in windows 8.1, so if anyone does want to do a backup they have to use an elevated command prompt and use WBADMIN, (or third parties like macrium) I did this last night, and restored the image (just for testing purposes) and it worked fine, although I was sweating for a bit...

I have everything running fine, although the Fan goes mental at times, which it didn't do before.

2. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just some of my thoughts to this matter:

First is the graphic driver. To those of you who has the newest HD 8000M or HD 7000M, there are two options that might help you to fix the black screen or anything related to the driver. Because those cards have a completely different switching mechanic - Enduro - than the old generation HD 6000M with PowerExpress, you can actually install separate driver for each card in this system. As been said, currently, AMD only provided Catalyst 13.9 WHQL, but you could try the beta 13.11. For Intel, the working driver with 8.1 should be their preview driver, version 15.33.3282 (Note: After installing the driver, the driver's version is different as it is 10.18.10.3282). But in case that this does not work, then you could try to download Leshcat's driver or LeeKM's driver. However, be careful with this because the Intel component on those two are actually lower than the preview from Intel. If both of them are not possible, then I suggest revert back to 8 and wait for Samsung to release official driver, especially for those that have HD 6000M version from the 2012 Series 7 Chronos.

Second is the backup. You can actually use System Restore to backup before installing the driver. Or if you prefer, then you can actually use the same old method to refresh and reinstall Windows. It is not in the General tab on 8.1, but it is in the Update & Recovery. For backup, you can search for Recovery and select the Create the Recovery Key. On the matter that Microsoft would not provide us the ISO for 8.1, you can google the leak RTM. It is basically the same thing. The different is you have to download 3 more Windows Update from the internet called the GA Rollup to actually be official GA version of 8.1.

I currently don't have my 2012 Series 7 to test those because it is in service, should be returned to me by next week. Hopefully, by that time, Samsung would actually release those drivers for all of us.

3. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you go into a little more detail about this? Intel's website is not very good about telling me which driver is which, and I've never heard of Leshkat or LeeKM.

4. pjakesson

pjakesson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I managed to do download an 8.1 iso following instructions from
    How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

Though I haven't tested it yet, also waiting for official drivers from Samsung.

One observation though is that in SW Update you can choose from Win 7, Win 8 and Win Blue
    but no 8.1 drivers (yet).

Per

belzebutt and Dannemand like this.
  5. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go here
    Code:
    https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-21232
    for more info on the Intel. About the other, just google it and you could find Leshcat on his official site or LeeKM from Guru3D. Leshcat was famous for his custom AMD graphic that built for switchable graphic. LeeKM created a fix for PowerExpress/Enduro (as I said before).

Note: Both those custom drivers are not signed, which means that you have to turn on TESTSIGNING ON or equivalent to TEST MODE to be able to run those drivers.

Windows Blue is actually 8.1. It was a codename at MS.

6. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Uninstall the AMD drivers - then install the latest AMD Mobility beta - 13.11 beta 1. Should restore your brightness settings.

7. norepinephrine

norepinephrine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm unable to install beta 13.11 because I have switchable graphics. How do I bypass this?

8. ReVaS

ReVaS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i think its the same for everyone. When installing the catalyst, there is no driver shown... WIndows either does not recognize, or does not allow. Some people speculated that it could be related to digital signing or somthing, and the only solution i found, is to uninstall amd, then use ccleaner to completely remove any registry entries about amd, restart, and only then try to install AMD. i have not tried it. as i can live for the moment with hd4000, i am still waiting for samsung's official fix. (i have hd8750m).

9. sXe

sXe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my SW Update I see only Win 7 and 8. No blue nor 8.1
    SW Update version 2.1.19
    Serie 9 NP900X4C-A01IT italian

:(

10. aslsw

aslsw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Firstly, big thanks to everyone for their tips. I managed to successfully 'fix' my ultrabook using the guidance here (ie. boot into safe mode, disable the Intel driver, download and reinstall both the Intel and AMD drivers). This was way more helpful than the Microsoft support guy who promised to call me back but never did.

Now I have some questions:

• Device Manager now reports an unknown device. How do I figure out what it is?
    • I see some comments about the ATI graphics not working. How do I tell? Previously I could never tell if the graphics were working anyway, there was no visible indication. The only game I play is FSX but it seemed to play quite nicely.
    • Should I have a go at running the Samsung software updates?

This so-called 'free upgrade' has really shaken my confidence. I'm due to travel this week for work and really need my ultrabook - I'm scared about making any changes that will break it again.

As I say, many thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.