Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    And also reinstall the Samsung Settings program since it does background configuration during installation. Anything's worth trying. You've found an obscure problem and the next step would be to load a live Linux CD / Flash drive to see how the display looks. If it also has display problems then you'll need to check the hardware starting with the display cable.

John

2. SteveCurwen

SteveCurwen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the colours are bad as soon as I turn the laptop on. I can hardly read the bios screen. I have never seen this before.

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    If there are problems with the internal display at the BIOS screen but an external display is OK then it is either hardware (eg cable or connections) or the parameters describing the display that are stored in the BIOS / NVRAM have been messed up by the BIOS update. There are various guides for reflashing the BIOS or the NVRAM in the threads listed in the BIOS section of the sticky list. It may still be worthwhile trying a Live Linux disc because someone found out that Linux configures itself using the display data from the panel instead of what is in the BIOS (which windows uses) so, if the display becomes OK when Linux is loaded then the problem is corrupted parameters.

John

4. SteveCurwen

Reputations:
    Thanks for you help. I've just tried Ubuntu and the colours are still completely crazy! Sometimes when the laptop is shutting down the colour comes back normal for a split second so I really don't think that it is the hardware. I will a look at reflashing the NVRAM. Is flashing the NVRAM dangerous? is there any chance that I could completely screw the machine up?!

Here is a picture of the display.
    Ubuntu Display.jpg

5. amir786_z

amir786_z Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows update ruined my laptop. Turn off the stupid updates

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    If the brief appearance of the right colours is erratic then I would still not discount either hardware (which would be coincidence) or something in the BIOS NVRAM settings. I've never seen other reports of a similar problem to be able to think of other possibilities.

There's always a small chance of a BIOS update going wrong (perhaps yours did) although the recent achievements by a few people here to resurrect what appeared to be bricked notebooks have demonstrated that much can be done when the alternative is an unusable computer.

John

7. SteveCurwen

Reputations:
    It was the screen that was the problem! I changed it and now all the coulours are good! The only thing bothering me now is how slow the laptop is running. When I check task manager and look at the hard drive usage it sometimes just stays at 100% or nearly 100% when there isn't even much running. I am running Win 8.1 but it has been doing the same on Win 7 and even Win 10. Could this be due to the bios? I updated it to the latest version before I put the new screen in.

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    That must have been a rare coincidence for the screen to go bad at the same time as a BIOS update.

Make sure that the computer is not stuck in Silent Mode.

Run HWiNFO and see if the CPU speed is varying.

John

9. SteveCurwen

Reputations:
    Not a very good coincidence!! No, silent mode is not on.
    I have just run HWinfo and it all looks okay to me. I will attach a screenshot so you can see
    HWinfo.jpg

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    HWiNFO should give you a dynamic CPU speed display similar to this (except you should have 4 bars because your CPU has 4 cores):

HWiNFO CPU speed display.JPG

Under normal operation the core speeds should be fluctuating over the whole CPU speed range. If your CPU speed is varying and the computer still feels slow then the next place to look is in Task Manager.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.