Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergy

Sergy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No problem, glad you could solve it!

No, as soon as I start to type, mouse gets freezed.
    I wouldn't notice that if not for you, but still doesn't really bothers me since I don't feel like gaming using the touchpad so I always use a mouse for that.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The touchpad being disabled when a key is pressed is a very frequent issue posted here. Strangely, I don't have that issue on my Series 7 (older model) and don't think I ever had it: I can move my cursor all I want while any key is pressed. I wonder if it is due to differences in driver versions or differences in hardware.

I recently rolled back from Touchpad Driver version 11.7.19.9 to version 11.7.10.4. I found my touchpad to behave erratically with the newer driver, whereas the older one had worked perfectly for me for the last year, before I tried the new one. I am very happy again after rolling back.

I do NOT recommend rolling back through Device Manager, as this can leave a mess behind. Instead, I recommend you just uninstall the current Elan driver using the Programs and Feature control panel, reboot, then install the driver you want. Version 11.7.10.4 is available in SW Update under Win8 drivers for model NP880Z5E-X03CA -- among other places.

Most of our useful discussion about the Elan touchpad can be found in the thread linked below, which covers all models despite its thread title:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...hronos-np700z5a-trackpad-discussion-only.html

There is also the small thread linked below, which contains relevant links.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...5c-s01us-keyboard-mouse-same-time-gaming.html

Also, the Owners Lounge thread linked below has seen quite a bit of touchpad discussion, particularly if you scan the last 2-3 months:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/733030-2013-ativ-book-9-plus-owner-s-lounge-np940x3g.html

Edit:

Oh, and good job there, @ChairmanSaab getting your graphics driver working. I am surprised that a different SW Update would have that effect. I wonder if merely re-installing SW Update was what did it. In any case are the AMD APU models different in several ways, and much of the discussion here doesn't always take that into account.

And @Sergy, thanks a lot for helping out!

3. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi

Is it safe to update my Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook 13.3" (model NP740U3E-S04UK) yet?

SSD: upgraded to 512GB mSATA Samsung SSD, RAM: (6GB DDR3 System Memory at 1600MHz (on BD 2GB + 4GB x 1)

Or should we wait until Windows 8.2 ?

J

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi ship mate ;)

There are no guarantees when it comes to 8.1 updates, but I don't think it will get any better than it is now. So if you want to update, now is as good a time as any. Alternatively wait for Windows 10 next year.

Before you update, make sure to backup everything important to you. Also create a recovery backup if you don't already have it (see this post). And finally, make sure to update your BIOS before you start, using the safe procedure described in John's BIOS Update thread.

Then follow Samsung's procedure here, including running SW Update AND Windows Update both before and after the actual Win8.1 update.

When it comes to choosing graphics drivers for your model, you'll have to refer to reports in this thread and the NP730/740 Owners Lounge. From my experience, the drivers built into 8.1 are a good place to start. So you could make an image backup (or Restore Point) if they are stable for you, before you start playing with newer drivers from Intel/AMD/Samsung.

5. moonvine

moonvine Newbie

Reputations:
    Among other items I have three Samsung computers. There is one laptop (NP305E7A) running Win 7. I plan to leave it that way until MS quits supporting that software.

The other two are All in One style machines running Win 8.1. Both are DP700A3xxxx. One machine was purchased with a Win 8 key and subsequently “upgraded” to Win 8.1 using the MS free or nearly free offer. It is identified as Build 9200. The second machine was purchased several months later for my spouse and it came with a Win 8.1 key. It is identified as Build 9600.

The machine with Build 9200 has been unstable with lots of compatibility issues since the upgrade. The machine with Build 9600, for the most part, performs as anticipated.

However, the NAS equipment I purchased recently to use as a network backup repository and network server has been impossible to use with the Build 9200 machine. It works great with the Build 9600 machine and the Win 7 laptop

So now I'm looking for a way to migrate from Build 9200 to Build 9600. My first thought is to purchase a new Win 8.1 key and load that onto the problem machine. If I do that will I need to delete the Build 9200 in its entirety? Will there be excessive driver problems? Is there a better way to migrate to Build 9600 functionality? Thankfully, the bulk of my data is on a partition separated from the OS.

As things stand right now, the value of my NAS investment is severely restricted. Help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do both those AoI machines use the same BIOS and is the BIOS up to date? (Use the BIOS update program linked to in the first post of this thread). If UEFI enabled and the partition layout the same on both machines?

Then, are you familiar with Samsung's SW Update program? There's a link to it here if you haven't got it installed. When it is running it checks Samsung's database for the latest version of your problems. There are also Find model and Export functions so you can save the software and driver packages (eg onto a flash drive ready for reinstallation).

Windows 8 / 8.1 keys are hard-coded into the computer and the OEM Windows installer should automatically find and use the key. However, see here if you want to have a backup record of the key.

Before you start wiping anything use Samsung Recovery Solution to make a backup of the recovery partition. If both computers have the same BIOS then it is possible that you would be able to restore the backup of build 9600 onto the build 9200 machine.

John

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is it possible, from the good machine, to make a recovery DVD with all the software etc.. Then use those to do a recovery on the old machine?

8. moonvine

moonvine Newbie

Reputations:
    John,

Thanks for your input. Both All in One computers do have the same BIOS. The link to the Nirsof program was helpful. I can only presume it is the latest since I can't find anything to the contrary. The Samsung SW Update is a friend. I use it regularly and and have the drivers etc., backed up on a flash drive. I have a backup of the "C" partition and and also a Win PE emergency disk.

Again, thanks for your help.

I have hesitated to do this for fear I'll make thing worse but I may give it a try. Thanks.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @moonvine: While Win8 Product Keys cannot be used to clean install 8.1 directly, you should be able to clean install 8.1 by entering a temporary Product Key during Windows Setup, then change the Product Key to your Win8 Key after installation, and only THEN Activate Windows. This guide in our Windows forum describes the process. You can change the Product Key EITHER using the slmgr command OR through Charms - Settings - PC settings - PC & Devices - PC Info. Of course you need to first extract your Win8 OEM key as described by John.

Or, as suggested by TANWare, you can create a Bootable Factory Image backup to a USB stick using Recovery on the Win8.1 machine, then use that to re-image the drive on the Win8 machine. This guide describes that process (in the context of installing a new SSD and cloning the factory installation onto it). Admittedly, I don't know how the 8.1 factory image will behave when it is deployed on a computer with a Win8 OEM key.

In ANY case would I recommend you create such a Bootable Factory Image backup on the Win8 machine BEFORE making any of these experiments. If something fails, you will be able to re-image the drive back to factory state, no matter how messed up it might have become. Again, that last link describes how to make that backup (and ensure it works).

10. Master_Sepp

Master_Sepp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dear fellow Samsung owners,

As one of the laggards, I finally update on Win 8.1 as well. I haven't read through the entire thread, but couldn't find anything through the search function, so I'm not sure, if I'm actually the only one. BUT: since the update my battery life is basically half! I have a Samsung NP700Z5C and on Win8 it got a battery life of 8+ hours, while now it only survives for a mere 4 hours anymore... Did anyone of you experience similar issues and knows a way to fix it? Besides the OS update there were literally no changes to the laptop whatsoever. Same CPU and GPU usage in idle, same battery savings settings and I updated after the update all Samsung drivers and also the "Settings" app through SW Update. Can anyone help me? This is driving me crazy!

Best,
    Sepp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.