Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marioho

marioho Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the brazilian edition of Ativ Book 6 (670Z5E-XD1BR). After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I went through all that damn black blank screen with flickering mouse cursor, but managed to get rid of it after rolling back Intel graphics driver to an older version (9.17.xxx I think).

But I noticed that SW Update doesn't show all my softwares! I updated it to 21.1.19.0, but nothing changes! It only shows:
    • Quick Starter
    • SW Update
    • Allshare play
    • Support Center
    • Recovery
    • Help Desk
    • Side Sync

There's no BIOS info, nor Graphic Card or wifi drivers...

I chosed "Windows Blue" as my OS, btw. I understand that there may be no updates for all that stuff yet, but I think it was supposed to show them anyway!

Any help?

2. TechBill

TechBill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here ... Mine only showing

Quick Starter
    Allshare play
    SW Update
    System BIOS Update
    Recovery
    Online Chat Consultation Service

I was wondering what happened to all the other software in the SW Update and I thought maybe I was the only one who had this.

Bill

3. TechBill

TechBill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Welp .......

Even I managed to recover my Windows back again but the boot up time in 8.1 is a lot lot lot worse than Windows 8. It take about at least 10 minutes to completely boot up and for the harddrive to stop going crazy and for my laptop to run fast again.

I already did a scan disk and it claimed to find no errors in it.

I wondered if something in Windows 8.1 broke the Fast Boot feature or is Fast Boot feature a driver controlled? So Samsung probably need to release a new driver for Fast Boot?

10 minutes is too long to wait for a complete boot up.

Bill

4. fugunaga

fugunaga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello everyone my laptop is samsung ativ book 7 NP740U3E touchscreen version and the store is when i finished the download of windows 8.1 in STORE and restart my PC , there's a message that i failed to update to windows 8.1 with error code 0xC1900101-0x30018 and after that my laptop is restored to the previous version. My question is how to solve this problem and update to windows 8.1 successfuly? and what should i do? i have tried some ways including updating all of my drivers, all of windows 8 update, but the result is the same , i have tried this for 6 times and all of them leaves the same error code.... help me

5. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From my experience on my NP740U3E-S04UK, installing Windows 8.1 creates a completely black screen that renders the computer unusable. Worse it appears that a simple uninstalling/roll-back of Windows 8.1 is impossible. I tried F8 (Control/F8?) during boot, then "Refresh" but although this got me back to Windows 8.0, I lost all my software installations and settings.

In the end I was forced to recover using a disk image that I had luckily made a couple of days ago (using Macrium Refect Free, and external CD/DVD drive and a 1GB external Zip hard disk).

In case anyone needs it, hold down Fn and then hit F2 during boot in order to open the BIOS.

In order to boot from an external CD/DVD you need to change these settings in BIOS:

Advanced ==> Fast Bios Mode set to off
    Then: Boot device chanced to my external CD/DVD and it *immediately* boots off the Rescue CD I had put in the external CD/DVD drive.

Phew!

6. Animaag

Animaag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received a new update to SW Update today - SW Update Patch, 854kb. I'm using NP370R5E-S01EE model (Estonian version). But when trying to install the Update I get 'Update Failed(-10)' error. Don't know what to think about that...

7. fugunaga

fugunaga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i feel lucky that i failed to update to windows 8.1 because of the error and managed to restored back to windows 8 safely without any lost..... hmmm maybe i should wait samsung update for windows 8.1, i hope that SW update provide the windows 8.1 so that i don't need to update from the microsoft store....

8. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since august 29 RTM release, Samsung had so much time to shape out bugs for start and I wonder what do they have done until now? I'm really disappointed of Samsung:(

mzn likes this.
  9. dlau77

dlau77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    8.1 has ruined my laptop. I have the Series 7 Chronos (780Z5E)

I can no longer control my screens brightness - it either boots up at full brightness, or at the lowest setting (which is probably the worst).
    When I close the lid, nothing happens. It no longer goes into sleep mode.
    If I leave it idle for a while, instead of going into 'sleep' state, it shuts itself down.
    My AMD drivers don't work either.

If anyone knows how I can resolve these issues, I'll forever be i your debt.

Thanks

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree, it is very disappointing. In the opening post I mentioned my thoughts on what may have caused the delay, but of course we will never know for sure. Even though I could easily entertain that discussion myself, I prefer if we don't get too carried away in this thread speculating about the why's or venting our frustrations. I am still hoping that we can keep this thread to a manageable size, so that new participants will actually read it (or at least skim it) before upgrading.

But don't get me wrong, I am with you entirely.

So many good tips have been posted here since my last update of the opening post yesterday. It's a busy weekend for me, but if I can find the time, I'll add some more updates, probably tomorrow.

I would like to stress (again) the importance of making backups before attempting the upgrade. Owners of laptops delivered with Win8 have Samsung Recovery Solution 6, which allows them to create a standalone, bootable factory image backup on a USB stick, or system state backup on an external drive. The USB stick can be used to re-image the drive, no matter how messed up it becomes.

Even those who already performed the upgrade -- and survived -- should consider making this backup while they can. Since Microsoft has stated that 8.1 clean install ISOs will NOT be available to consumers (only to Enterprise) that means future 8.1 installations have to start with a Win8 installation. I'd say such a "Recovery on a stick" containing the Win8 factory image, is a very attractive tool for anyone who doesn't have other Win8 install media.

mzn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.