Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XxHAMADEHxX

XxHAMADEHxX Newbie

Reputations:

Hmm that's weird because I upgraded all my drivers and stuff but I haven't received the update in the store.

Another thing is you said normal windows 8 runs faster on your computer. My computer isn't slow or anything but I prefer the options that uses less hardware. So I might just go ahead and keep windows 8 like it is now.

Though if I do make the switch I'll be sure to back up like you said.

Thanks for the help friend :)

2. goatty2

goatty2 Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone had problems with windows file explorer since last win update?
    every time i right click on a folder explorer stops responding.
    I have removed any programs recently installed that didnot help and even stopped the virus checker and reinstalled from a fresh download no different.
    so downloaded explorer ++ and that seams to work alright

3. jeffcc

jeffcc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    updating driver and apps doesnt let you have access to upgrade windows 8.1. You have to update your windows through Windows Update

4. Sergy

Sergy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again Dannemand

Edit: After I posted this Windows Update did its magic and installed a newer driver and now everything is working perfectly, everything: Brightness control, Switchable graphics, Sony Vegas...

I can't tell you how much I love you >.<

Thank you very much for your time.

Its been a while since my last post here, finally I found the time to install Windows 8.1 on my Samsung.
    Unlike you, my laptop does have drivers for Windows 8, but once they are installed, dedicated GPU (AMD 7670M), stops working :mad:
    So I followed your advice and uninstalled every driver and software from AMD and Intel, then Windows installed some generic drivers for both GPUs.
    Now my AMD graphic card is working, but Switchable graphics settings are inaccessible.

What a bummer, I really really like Windows 8.1.

Thank you so much for your help through all this process, even though I might not get this to work, your help has been invaluable.

Kind regards.

Dannemand likes this.
  5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi Sergy,

Thank you for your update. Sorry it took a couple days for me to respond.

So if I read your post correctly (and your update), at first Windows did not provide its own drivers for your AMD 7670M, but after awhile, Windows Update offered one -- and now everything is working correctly. Is that correctly understood.

That's great. Thanks a lot for confirming this :)

I would recommend you make an image backup of that Windows installation, or at least save a Restore point. Then, if you are tempted to experiment with newer drivers directly from AMD, you can do so knowing that you have an easy way to roll back.

6. ChairmanSaab

ChairmanSaab Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone got Samsung settings for Windows 8.1 ? SW update doesn't work on my system, it's struck at " LOADING PROGRAM" for about half a hour now! Brightness key is not working nor does settings's F1 shorcut. I heard updating to latest Samsung's settings will fix it. Can anyone got direct link ? I've NP535u4c

F1,F2,F3 shortkeys are useless now.

7. Sergy

Reputations:
    Hi Dannemand,
    That's right
    I had to wait for a couple of updates, as you recommended, but eventually Windows Update installed the necessary drivers and now everything is working like a charm. Now in Catalyst Control Center I can access some features that were not even available with regular AMD drivers downloaded using SW Update :)

Thank you again, never is enough, your help has been truly invaluable.

I used my SW Update to download Settings 2.0.0.31, now I'm uploading that to Mega, when it finish the upload I'll share it with you, maybe someone else can give you the link before that.

Dannemand and ChairmanSaab like this.
  8. ChairmanSaab

ChairmanSaab Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok cool thanks! Waiting for the link!

My amd Catalyst control center software is gone after upgrading to Windows 8.1 Is there any way to get it back ? Since i can play games and Windows 8.1 has all graphics gimmicks enabled i assume graphics driver is already there but CCC is gone ??

[​IMG]

EDIT: I can't use my Keyboard and touchpad simultaneously , any fix ? It's crucial to play games only when mouse is not available. (I already have optical mouse near me but i want it to function as it should)

9. Sergy

Reputations:
    I think it is possible that those games and settings are running on the Intel GPU instead of the AMD one.

Although I had drivers for AMD graphic card installed (obtained from SW Update), I wasn't able to load Switchable graphics nor Catalyst Control Center and neither Sony Vegas nor Camtasia Studio could be launch as I keep getting the error message: "GPU device couldn't be initialized"

All of that was solved following Dannemand instructions for install Microsoft's drivers instead of Samsung's.

Those (Microsoft's) are generic drivers, as you can see in the following image:

[​IMG]

It shows an AMD Graphic Card but the model isn't quite right as it should be showing 7670M instead of 7600M series

It's kind of funny, when I had "official" Samsung drivers installed (from SW Update), the model number was being shown correctly, but everything else wasn't working at all :p

I don't know if our situations are that similar, but still, Catalyst Control Center is included within the installation of AMD driver for your GPU.

PS. Upload is now 33% complete, I apologize for the long wait but right now I am on a very poor connection so I will take a bit more to complete it.

10. ChairmanSaab

ChairmanSaab Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey it seems like you got an intel cpu but i've AMD's APU.
    [​IMG]
    After contacting Samsung through live chat, they told me to uninstall SW update and reinstall it through their website. That solved SW update issue and it's working fine.

I'm downloading Samsung's Settings 2.0.0.72 (seems newer than 2.0.0.31)
    It's 90% completed, will be rebooting pc in few minutes. Feeling sorry that your upload is being wasted now! i apologized for taking your time.

# I would still like to use my touchpad and keyboard simultaneously, is there any fix for that ?
    @sergy Are you able to move your mouse while typing ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.