Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @alfling: It's been a couple days now. If/when you're ready to take another stab at getting brightness working, I suggest you repost in the owners lounge. Somebody there is bound to have ideas for you, as many have managed to update and get it working.

I am sorry I don't have more suggestions myself :eek:

2. alfling

alfling Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you for the effort, but I just managed to get legally a Windows 8.1 ISO, so i'll just try a clean install, hoping that it will solve everything :)

3. megapleb

megapleb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I just picked up a NP900X3E second hand that came with 8.1, and am having a few issues. I've installed the latest updater, though it found that all the software was already up to date.

1. Touchpad - I can't seem to find any way to make adjustments to its functionality at all. As far as gestures go, one and two finger ones work, but not 3 or 4 finger ones. I found an older version of the touchpad driver earlier in this thread that was supposed to address this, but that made the touchpad far worse, it wouldn't respond to clicks anywhere except the bottom right corner, which was a left click!

2. Backlight on keyboard. This does not appear to respond to the controls in the settings, or the function keys on the keyboard. I can see it does come on, but only in a pitch black room. Either the backlight is faulty (seems unlikely as it does work) or it's stuck at a very low level.

I still have a number of things to check out such as bluetooth, but the two issues above jumped out at me immediately.

Any help much appreciated :)

Merged

Ok, so it seems that the backlight issue doesn't actually exist, I just didn't appreciate how dim the light is compared to my desktop mech keyboard!

I've tested bluetooth with my phone and a headset, so it's fine.

So that just leaves the touch pad. Any suggestions?

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hellow megapleb, welcome to NBR.

Did you install the Elan Touchpad driver from SW Update? All updated drivers must be obtained though this utility since Samsung doesn't post them on their website anymore. It should provide the gestures you are looking for.

5. megapleb

megapleb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for your reply :)

I did indeed install the latest drivers, but I couldn't find where the settings were. After a lot of poking around I managed to find them. Everything seems to work, except for the two finger tap to get a right click, which is temperamental, and can take a few attempts to make work. There's also the fact that the laptop doesn't remember the settings after a reboot. Is there a fix for that yet?

Overall I like this laptop, though I'm having to use high magnification in Chrome to make things readable (125% for most page, though here it's 150% because the reply text is so small!).

I've always hated laptops because they were underpowered, heavy and ugly. This is none of those things, and is growing on me :)

BTW, one other query, I've noticed that processor turbo is not engaged when on battery, is there any way to change this behaviour?

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I think it is indisputable that what you have there, is one of the most beautifully designed laptops ever made. So I can understand your liking it.

Yes, FHD in a 13-inch is tight. The 1600x900 on my own NP700Z3A (14-inch) is perfect for me. But you can scale things to your liking, and Windows and apps should only get better at that with time.

The problem you describe with the Touchpad forgetting its settings sounds like what is described here. BTW, that post also describes how to get a more powerful Touchpad control panel.

I would try a re-install of BOTH the Elan driver AND Samsung Settings and see if that helps. The post here describes how to find the latest Settings version and some tips for it.

Turbo Boost not being engaged on battery is a common complaint on the ULV models. For example, see this discussion.

7. megapleb

megapleb Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Dannemand! All those problems are resolved except for the no turbo on battery which appears insoluble.

While using the laptop I've had a number of freezes lasting up to a minute, mostly in Chrome, that I'd like to get to the bottom of. The computer becomes unresponsive except for the mouse pointer. Do you know if there are any common causes of such behaviour?

Dannemand likes this.
  8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Sorry it took me a few days to respond to this. Glad to hear you got the issues solved.

Freezes like you describe are usually caused by unexpected delays in hardware device drivers -- either due to poorly written or incompatible drivers or due to a problem or conflict with the actual hardware. They are referred to as latencies, and tools such as LatencyMon are the best way to diagnose them. See the thread linked below for a case where we go through diagnosing -- and finally pinpointing -- such an issue. In this case it was a defect HDD, but it can be any number of things. I recommend you read (or at least scan) the entire thread -- it's only a few pages.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/750256-samsung-5-series-laptop-freezing-issues.html

9. XxHAMADEHxX

XxHAMADEHxX Newbie

Reputations:
    So recently I realized I haven't upgraded my Samsung Ativ Book 4 to windows 8.1, and I haven't figured out how to do it yet. However I found this post and read that there were a lot of problems when Samsung users made the switch. Now I'm confused as to weather or not I should continuing pursuing this idea; as I currently don't have a means to back up my files.

So should I upgrade or should I leave my computer alone.

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hello XxHAMADEHxX, welcome to NBR.

I assume your model came with Win8 (not Win7), is that correct? If so, here is what I suggest:

1) Check on Samsung's Win8.1 update page if your model is officially supported for Win8.1. I think all models with the Ativ Book brand are supported, but better check your model number. This should factor into your decision.

2) Find a way to backup your data files and your current installation to an external drive. Without that, I wouldn't consider this update at all (or any major system operation for that matter). Samsung Recovery Solution (F4 after boot) can create complete backups, but doesn't have a way to separate just your data. Alternatively, manually copy your data to an external drive or use an online backup service, then follow the first two steps in this guide to create a bootable factory image backup on a USB stick so you can always get back to factory state.

3) Read the update in the opening post of this thread (which I think you already did) then scan the last 8-10 pages for posts that may be relevant to your model (or models with similar hardware).

4) Once (and if) you are ready to update, follow the steps on Samsung's update page (the same as linked in step 1 above). In particular, make sure you perform updates of drivers from SW Update and from Windows Update both BEFORE and AFTER the actual Win8.1 update. The Samsung guide points this out as well.

Note: If there are BIOS updates for your model, flashing the latest BIOS can be critical to a successful Win8.1 update. But DON'T perform the BIOS update directly in SW Update. As described in our BIOS Update thread you want to run the BIOS Update utility outside SW Update, save the BIOS update file itself, and run it standalone. This minimizes risks of problems during the flash process.

5) The Win8.1 Update itself should be offered to you in the Windows Store (accessible on the Metro Start Screen).

I recently switched from Win8.1 back to Win8. Even though I like 8.1's features better, I simply find Win8 faster on my computer (an older Series 7 which does NOT have official Samsung support for 8.1, but which works fine with drivers from Microsoft).

Presumably, most Win8 users will need to upgrade sooner or later, but so far Microsoft still provides security updates. You can also wait till 8.1 Update 2 comes out, reportedly mid August. At this point Win7 users should probably just dig in and wait for Win9, I am guessing a year from now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.