Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirdwilli

weirdwilli Newbie

Reputations:
    I've held off with the BIOS update, has it broken anything for you?

Or better yet, has it improved anything?
    Got the AMD card working again but battery life is still poor since the 8.1 update (3h rather than 4.5h)

2. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see no change after the new BIOS update. I got the impression that my CPU fan is more active after the BIOS update but that could also be related to my usage, so no worries.
    Today SW Update offered me new versions of Support Center and Settings (2.0.0.72). I'll check it out and see what it does....

PS: My only device that I can report on is the 740U3E. But experience with my friends' notebooks is that 530/540/730/740 models are comparable regarding the compatability to win8.1, at least in European markets.

3. jour

jour Newbie

Reputations:
    hi i just bought my 730

i decided to stick to win8 and NOT upgrading bios

i heard here and someplace else that bios upgrades changes fan characteristic (louder fan noise) which makes one of best featuers of this machine... an issue.

please share your thoughts about bios upgrading ;)

4. Matthias_K

Matthias_K Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just a little heads up to everyone installing the newest Settings version, after the first reboot you will have to manually run SW Update to actually get your settings programm and your drivers installed. Atleast that was the case on my NP900X3E.

5. BRANXTA

BRANXTA Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

First of all apols if im posting this at a wrong place, im new to the forum and this thread seems to be linked to the issue im having.

I own a Samsung 7 Series Gamer (700G7A) and after few unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issue of extremely slow boot up of windows 7 (and missing express cache after i re-installed W7) i decided to upgrade to SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 2.5' Internal SSD) and Windows 8.1

Now, the installation itself was pretty straight forward and both Windows 8.1 and the new SSD seem to work just fine once the system is up and running, however im surprised (and quite annoyed) by incredibly long start up times..

Now i would expect the Windows 8.1 on SSD to boot within 10-20 sec max given that everything is installed (fresh) on the SSD.

However what happens, is that once i start from "cold" and press the power button the BIOS Samsung Screen stays inactive for around 2mins!! and the eventually it goes into the windows 8 logo after which it takes additional 1minute to show the log on screen.

This is 3 mins boot time in total every time i start the laptop - there must be something wrong, but i cant figure out what it is. Even with Windows 7 and Samsung default settings (with Express Cache working properly) the boot time was around 30-40 secs all in, which was actually quite all right.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
    I tried all sorts of BIOS settings but nothing seems to help.
    Could it be wrong BIOS for Windows 8.1? (I got the latest version available through SW update.)

Do you reckon resetting BIOS by removing CMOS battery could help?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Two thoughts:

1. The BIOS is struggling to find the boot files for Windows. The ExpressCache can cause confusion if you installed Windows from USB as explained in this thread.

2. The BIOS is having problems detecting the hardware. You should be able to check this by tapping the F2 key a few times immediately after pressing the power button to enter the BIOS setup. This should happen in very few seconds and if it does then I think the problem is related to the BIOS finding the Windows boot files.

John

7. BRANXTA

BRANXTA Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi John - thanks very much for your reply. It sounds ExpressCache might be a part of the issue.
    I tried pressing F2 after pressing the power button and i can easily enter the BIOS setup.

However - i wouldn't rule out hardware issue: could it be a faulty iSSD ?
    it seems that 8gb ExpressCache iSSD is not recognised by my system at all.
    Please see the screenshot of the allocated drives. I installed Windows 8.1 from the DVD and the main drive (SSD) looks ok to me.

However the iSSD seems to be missing Screenshot Drives.png

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Take a look in Device Manager if the small iSSD used for ExpressCache shows up there. If not, it could be a sign that the iSSD has become faulty -- which will cause exactly what you are seeing, with Windows hanging during boot while looking for a disk that doesn't quite work (but still announces itself as present). We have had some reports of this (not many, but a few) and unfortunately there is no solution short of replacing the motherboard, since the iSSD cannot be disabled in BIOS.

Fortunately, there is another possibility: If you installed Win 8.1 in UEFI mode on the new SSD, AND if you also installed the ExpressCache software, it will have problems unless the iSSD is converted to GPT layout, and ExpressCache is re-installed. See this discussion for more on that. The latest ExpressCache version 1.0.94 should be used (it's pretty old already).

In your case you should NOT install ExpressCache at all, since it will just slow down your main SSD. If you DID install the ExpressCache software, just uninstall it using the Windows Programs and Featues control panel. Restart Windows after this (don't Shutdown, it merely hibernates and doesn't properly reload the system).

If you DON'T have the ExpressCache software installed, and Windows STILL hangs during boot, you can try and install Minitool Partition Wizard (Google it) and see if it detects the iSSD. If so, use Minitool to wipe the iSSD and -- if you installed Win8.1 in UEFI mode, but ONLY in that case -- convert the iSSD to GPT. There is a chance this will fix it.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

9. BRANXTA

BRANXTA Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the prompt reply.
    Unfortunately it looks as it might be the faulty iSSD.
    Its not showing in either Device Manager or the Minitool Partition Wizard.
    Express Cache is not installed.

Boot up and shut down times are ~5mins now, so i guess im looking at replacing a motherboard.
    You wouldnt by any chance know what MBs are compatible with 700G7A and whats roughly the cost?

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am sorry to hear that. I suggest you scan through the thread linked below first. Despite the thread title, most of the discussion there is about software related issues. But again, we DID have some reports of disappearing iSSD, and in a few cases members were able to revive it. Unfortunately I didn't note down the exact posts where that is discussed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...ache-i-want-my-expresscache-back-edition.html

I looked at samsungparts.com (our usual reference for part numbers) but they don't list the NP700G7A at all. Googling NP700G7A motherboard brought up this on PChub.com which does indeed list G7A parts, including mainboards at surprisingly affordable prices. I have no experience with that company. They could be the best in the world or a complete scam, I just don't know. Maybe others have suggestions. Google gave other hits as well.

It would be easy to say that this is a fairly old computer and not to spend too much money on it. But it's a great machine, and Samsung don't make them anymore, so I can understand why you want to pursue repair options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.