Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDog

SDog Newbie

Reputations:
    For those who updated to Win 8.1 and get a black screen on startup, this worked for me....

1) shut down
    2) hit F8 during bios startup
    3) work your way through the windows advanced menus (forget the exact path), and startup in safe-mode with network
    4) download and install intel graphics drivers, 2nd last ed. 15.31.xxxxx

this worked for me.
    I also installed the beta AMD 8800M drivers, and the system still boots OK.

I'm currently ignoring the latest intel graphics drivers that popup in windows update.

2. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't see this thread, updated to 8.1. Everything seemed to load OK, except that occasionally my screen would flicker black and when it came back to normal a second later, all my windows would be moved around (as if the screen resolution had changed). Also, some windows had their control bar black (making them impossible to close, minimize, or maximize). I thought this was odd and decided to run SW Update, which bade me to restart...and then I ran into that nasty black screen + blinking cursor bug. Rolling back the 4000HD driver from safe mode left me where I was before, with the blinking screen.

Nuking Intel's graphics drivers altogether from Control Panel seems to have fixed that particular issue, but now I don't have control over my screen brightness - the various sliders slide, but brightness doesn't change. Is there some way to get that back with currently available drivers, or will I have to roll back to Windows 8? And if so, how? I foolishly did not back up.

3. zlThomaslz

zlThomaslz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What I did to get brightness control back:

1. Control Panel, Uninstall AMD Catalyst , Control Installer, Selext Express Uninstall ALL Amd Software, Wait for it to finish, Then reboot.

2. Do the same for the Intel HD4000 software, Also go to Device Manager and Uninstall the HD4000 driver there also. Then Reboot

3. When you reboot windows should install the default HD4000 Driver. When it does, reboot.

4. Run Windows Update and get the Latest HD4000 driver from microsoft, then reboot.

5. You should now have brightness control back., now you can go get the latest AMD beta driver 13.11

4. Bitech

Bitech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to test Windows 8.1 and Samsung's drivers in a Virtual Machine? Luckily for me I was having trouble getting the 8.1 update before I found this thread and I haven't busted my Series 7.

5. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, the newest HD4000 driver IS the problem that causes the flickering black screen, so that doesn't work. I rolled back to the generic Microsoft driver which at least lets me use the slider in power management settings, if not the hardware buttons.

6. TechBill

TechBill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone here help me get this Samsung NP700Z5C-S02UB to either boot with DVD or USB .. It keep ignoring and I cannot find in the bios to force it to boot from the DVD or USB

7. SDog

SDog Newbie

Reputations:
    You have to disable fast boot I believe. Save and restart. Go back into the BIOS, then you should see boot options.

8. TechBill

Reputations:

Hrmm did not see Fast Boot anywhere in bios .. I will go look again. Thank you

Bill

9. TechBill

Reputations:
    Finally got it to boot up back to my Windows Desktop, but it running and loading application very slow

CPU about 40% but HHD is running at 100%

Any idea what causing this slow speed? I am doing a disk scan now

bill

10. TechBill

Reputations:
    I managed to fix it all now ... Recovery "F4" was able to repair my boot master successfully then when it booted up it start to run very slowly.

I checked over the settings in Windows 8 then I caught that the video driver for nvidia would not load at boot up. I downloaded the newest nvidia driver and now it running fast again and the CPU dropped down to about 2% and HDD dropped down about 1%

Look like it working again but I am glad I didn't lose anything this time and still all my data are still there. I don't know why did Window 8.1 update corrupted my MBR or SecureBoot in the first place.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.