Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack53

jack53 Dell XPS L322x Lover!

Reputations:
    Did not see a delete option? So this will do...

2. thunderboard

thunderboard Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody.

I did my upgrade in November, I had my issues about the black screen and the drivers not up-to-date, but at the end I managed to solve it (thanks also to the advices found here)
    I downloaded the drivers via sw update using the "searching model" function". But they are quite old, for instance now if I go to the intel website and I scan my laptop it gives me more updated version of drivers for wifi which I downloaded and for the graphic.
    This one I downloaded but then when I try to install it tells me "not compatible, look for a compatible", but it was an updated found by the scan system of intel itself.

also the amd catalyst mobility, it scans the system, finds this updates but then when I try to install it tells me not compatible, is there something I missing, I have a np 730U3E-s02, did anyone solve the issue?

After upgrading to Win 8.1 now everything seems fine but:

- Chrome seems not working anymore in the windows 8 modality, only on desktop
    - Skype crashes in the middle on the converation, sometimes but it does

Did anyone find a solution (apart installing the skype for desktop version?)

Thanks

3. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey thunderboard,
    what seems contradictory at first, makes perfect sense to me: AMD/Intel driver scanners cant find any update for your model because the Series 7 notebook uses a special version of the vga drivers. In theory, depending on your usage the Samsung switches between Intel and AMD chip. Unfortunately, the original drivers from Intel and AMD do not support the Series 7-style switchable graphics.

My advice to you: Install a current SW Update and install everything thats offered there (at least the drivers). A few days ago, there was also a new BIOS update for my 740u3e (your model but with touchscreen).

Uninstall Chrome and reinstall it after a full restart
    Uninstall Skype Metro app and reinstall it from Microsoft Store.

Maybe that helps.

4. jack53

Reputations:
    Best solution is not to do the update at all ;)

5. willowbrook

willowbrook Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When i updated my NP700Z5C when Windows 8.1 just came out, I had no problem with the usage. However, I had one crucial which was that games kept crashing for no reason
    I assume it's because I updated too early, but now i expect Nvidia to have drivers fixing those things. So updating to Windows 8.1 now should not be a problem for most users.

6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Good job getting that working.

Do note that it's only the 2012 Ivy Bridge models (like yours) that use Nvidia. All 2013 Series 7 and Ativ Book 7 and 8 models use AMD switchable graphics, and so does the previous 2011 and 2012 Sandy Bridge models. AMD and Samsung have been terrible at providing updated drivers that support AMD switchable graphics, pretty much since early 2013. That's a main reason (but not the only one) why Win8.1 has been so difficult for many Samsung owners.

I would absolutely NOT recommend anybody to update to 8.1 now, when Win 8.1.1 (or 8.1 Update) is just about to come out. Wait another week or two and see what Microsoft and Samsung have to say.

7. willowbrook

Reputations:
    That's pretty sad, in that case people should hold back updating to Windows 8.1. However, as for me I am going to see if any problems arise when I clean install Windows 8.1 tonight.

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just be careful: Several members have reported that Win8.1 clean install damaged their Samsung Recovery. I would make a bootable Factory Image backup first (using the first two steps in this post). It will allow you to re-image the drive no matter how messed up it becomes. This feature only exists on models with Samsung Recovery Solution 6 (delivered with Win8.x). Older models (delivered with Win7) need a more complex procedure to backup Recovery. See this post.

Edit:
    I just remembered this post from the other day, for another member who wanted to clean install Win8.1. Watch out for those gotchas.

snappersrb likes this.
  9. willowbrook

Reputations:
    Thanks, I made an image backup just in case, but luckily I didn't need to use it. No problems so far, but I haven't run any games or something like that. Some old programs were incompatible, but that's not Samsung's fault so...I wouldn't recommend anyone either to update to 8.1, but giving it a try wouldn't hurt.

One thing I did notice was that my benchmark for Samsung 840 pro SSD was a little off. I installed all the necessary drivers and tweaked the settings as before, but my random write iops is only giving 75% of the advertised. I installed new anti-virus from previous which might be the reason. If that is not, I have absolutely no idea why its lower...not that it would matter on normal laptop usage, but still...T.T

10. jack53

Reputations:
    As I said before... why fix something that is NOT BROKE???
    My Win 8 is running just fine on my Samsung Ultra Series 5 Notebook and I am not taking a chance on mucking up something.
    I will wait for the next major update and see if that one is better, usually the second update fixes the first ones problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.