Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Hello.

I would like to install Windows 8.1 Pro on Samsung NP-Q35. The notebook in question has T5200 and 1.5GB RAM (most likely to be upgraded to 2.5). The HDD is most likely to be dropped in favor of cheap SSD.

Is it a good or a bad idea? Will it suffer from low performance (browsing and office stuff, occasional movies) in comparison with outdated XP?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There are two big unknowns:
    (i) How well Windows 8.1 supports 7 year old hardware - Samsung won't have prepared Windows 8 drivers although Windows 7 drivers might be available for the basic hardware; and
    (ii) Whether Samsung's Settings program (which you for the Fn key controls if nothing else) supports such old hardware.

John

3. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since XP wont be supported after March 2014, you should consider buying a new notebook or reinstalling the old one with either a newer Windows or Linux (e.g. Ubuntu or Mint). In my experience, a linux install can provide new life to older hardware. And there is always somebody that solved device-specific issues like using FN-keys.
    If you rely on Windows, you can give it a try to install Win8.1 or Win7. If there will be to many problems in 8.1 you can try 7 afterwards.

I don't think it's a bad idea. It depends on your time budget and your personal motivation to play around with your old hardware. you can try both Windows versions, or migrate to Linux (preferably something based on LTS Ubuntu.)

The worst idea is to stay on Windows XP, since there won't by any security updates after March.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answers, might give it a try.

5. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi

A few days ago, after what is now nearly 4 MONTHS of waiting, I phoned Samsung Technical Support about my new Samsung laptop and they told me NOT to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Please can someone tell me, now that the dust has started to settle, who is responsible for this upgrade fiasco. Samsung? AMD? Microsoft?

I really need to know who is responsible, because I am serious about not buying ever again from whoever is responsible. In fact for the first time ever, I am now seriously considering defecting to the (much despised by me) Apple. For a couple of months now, these upgrade problems have been making my blood boil, but now it is starting to look like they will NEVER fix the problem. I that happens, I'm genuinely not sure what to do. Sell the laptop? I am keen not to because I have paid over the top money to upgrade the SSD.

Or perhaps we will need to wait until Windows 8.2.

My problem is that I am extremely unhappy with Windows 8 because of the well documented text sizing issues on small, higher resolution screens...

J

P.S. My new laptop is a Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook 128GB SSD 13.3" (SSD upgraded to 512GB) Model: NP740U3E-S04UK which includes an AMD Radeon HD 8570M graphics card.

bahamutscale and Mirlan like this.
  6. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey ship69,

I managed to upgrade my 740U3E. I wrote a guide how to successfully upgrade to Win 8.1 on "our" model. You can find it here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...msung-has-updated-drivers-52.html#post9531992)

Jocelyn84 likes this.
  7. amishra123

amishra123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! I have a Series 5 Ultra (NP540U3C-A01UK) after upgrading to 8.1 I thankfully didn't have too many problems. Today I decided to reformat just to refresh things. However SW update isn't installing the touchpad driver (it's just not appearing in the list!). I also can't seem to remember how to get to the menu where you can see all models of laptops and os's .

I was wondering if someone could access that and upload the latest touch driver (even if it is just for 8). I can't stand not being able to use multi-touch gestures on the trackpad!!!

Or if someone could at least show me how to access that menu again!!
    Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks
    Amishra123

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi amishra, welcome to NBR.

It's under Find Model in SW Update. Even if it doesn't properly detect your model (due to Win8.1) you should be able to use Find Model to look it up (or any other model) and download drivers from there.

9. bahamutscale

bahamutscale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I felt compelled to respond because I share ALL of your sentiments and would like to offer a precaution.

I have practically the same exact laptop: Series 7 Ultra NP740U3E except I bought mine when it first came out in the US June 2013 so it only has an integrated graphics card. I've gradually went from feeling neutral to HATING my purchase. I can't believe I gave up the opportunity to buy a Macbook Air or smaller screen Macbook to spend around the same money buying this junk. I don't have anything on this laptop except stuff needed for work (Office and Adobe suites) and it lags so much.

I recently went back to Win 8 after not being able to withstand 8.1 any longer. For one, be warned that 8.1 will take certain functionalities away from your laptop. For example, the touchpad in 8.1 FORCES you to have time delay when dragging and dropping files. My brightness adjustment couldn't work after upgrading so I had to work with Samsung Support for 2 hours experimenting with different drivers to get it to work. This and other omissions lead me to believe Samsung just didn't care about fully complementing 8.1 with new drivers.

Did I mention how unstable the laptop is? At times, if your CPU usage is moderately high, the touchpad will freeze completely, forcing you to navigate with the touchscreen and restart. This has happened with me just web browsing (10-15 tabs open in Chrome, some of which include flash heavy sites like ESPN or multiple Youtube - nothing a $1000+ laptop shouldn't handle). Along with the touchpad freeze, other issues include the touchpad pointer jumping EVERYWHERE with oversensitivity when CPU usage is moderately high. If you're listening to music on headphones, there are static sounds every time the computer 'thinks' (for example, when scrolling. The computer just lags so much with activities I consider very basic. So many more nits and bits I'll avoid listing.

Eventually, for some reason, the driver for the touchpad gestures decided to stop working altogether so I couldn't scroll with 2 fingers or anything. Not even restarting the laptop restored the functions. Resetting drivers didn't help. I contacted Samsung and all they said was the generic "you should refresh your laptop" line. By this point, I got so sick of troubleshooting all the time I just brought back Win 8.0. Obviously, Win 8.0 has significant flaws of its own that I can go on for days, but at least I can scroll now since I can't take even basic functions for granted with Samsung+Microsoft.

I've been a defender of MSFT for so long, but no more. I've had the iPhone 4 and now 5: if the Macbooks work anything as perfectly as my phones, than I was a fool for believing that AAPL is overhyped. Apple products just work - software, hardware, everything. It just feels so integrated and backed by ONE company focusing on a FEW quality products. I originally bought the Samsung because of the amazing specs on paper compared to the Macbooks at the same price range. Never will I buy based on specs. Great individual hardware pieces don't matter if they're not integrated efficiently with complementing software.

10. MysteryX

MysteryX Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung NP350V5C and have also reset the computer back to Windows 8 after experiencing the "8.1 hell".

Graphic card didn't work properly (and I still can't switch graphic mode for some applications, the option is disabled for some apps every since), DVD drive didn't have any driver whatsoever, and a bunch of other issues. I got some "help" from a MS support agent on a forum who told me a few things to try to fix my computer, by repairing Windows components.

After running the diagnostic tools he told me, trying to run SW Update and install the video driver resulted in a hard crash and reboot instead of just giving an error message, and things got much worse from there.

So yeah... scraped it all and went back to Windows 8

I'm surprised I'm not seeing any driver updates and it has been MONTHS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.