Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does the power light come on when you plug in the PSU? Do any lights come on (even temporarily) if you press the power button? Did you try holding down the power button for, say, 30 seconds?

If there is no sign of life then you can try following the rejuvenation suggestions in the bricking thread.

John

2. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @robertdaveson18 try a micom reset iif thats possible with that model or call samsung customer servuce for repair

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

3. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Upgraded from 8 to 8.1 on my NP700Z5C-S04US. I have been using it for a week now. Everything works properly. Some of the things actually got better, for e.g., changing networks whether its wired or wireless would cause explorer.exe to stop responding for about 20s. That lag is doesn't happen anymore on 8.1. Plus boot times seem to have gotten slightly better.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Better WiFi might be due to a newer Intel driver being pushed out with Windows 8.1. Had you previously updated your Intel WiFi driver to a version issued within the past 4 months? This finally fixed the connectivity issues but you needed to get it from Intel.

John

5. mattorcullo

mattorcullo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have recieved a graphic driver update from SW Update. Should I install it? I need suggestions before installing the update. anyone please? thanks! :)

6. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this for the AMD graphics? what laptop do you have?

7. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there really no solution to the lack of an AMD drivers on Win 8.1 other than turning of the signed driver checking and using hacked drivers?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

8. mattorcullo

mattorcullo Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using a Samsung np370r5e. I recieved the update last 3 days.

9. sabrefresco

sabrefresco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A few days before I actually finally upgraded to 8.1, I noticed Intel issued a WiFi driver, which I could not install for some reason. The installer would launch for a few seconds and disappear in the background. Later on, I upgraded to 8.1. I still see that update on Intel's site
    Capture.PNG
    I will try installing later today.

I actually had problems with the wired connection too (with WiFi turned off). I thought that suggested a problem with networking in general, rather than the WiFi card specifically.

UPDATE 2: Nevermind, it actually got updated this time. :)

UPDATE1: This installer icon shows up for around 5s and disappears. Nothing else shows up.
    installer.png

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @sabrefresco: That's normal for the Intel WiFi installer when using the Driver Only package: It only shows that animated icon for awhile, and doesn't display a confirmation dialog when it has completed.

Checking the driver version in Device Manager is the best way to verify that it actually installed; but do note that the physical driver version often doesn't match the version of the installer package. You have to check driver version in Device Manager before and after installation to verify that an update happened.

The full PROset installation package from Intel includes a full installer GUI -- along with all the bloat it installs. I recommend the Driver Only package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.