Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello fotyc, welcome to NBR.

Samsung does not post any updated drivers on their web site, not for over a year. You have to use SW Update to pull them from Samsung's database, and either install them directly, or save them on your computer and install them manually. It is actually a pretty decent tool, once you get to know it.

I am still hesitant to declare the 8.1 update safe, although many have succeeded at this point (myself included). Check the last few pages of this thread for a more elaborate answer to that specific question.

Unfortunately, from your description, your Recovery is gone. The only way to get it back, is to have Samsung re-image the drive -- which they will do for a small fee, or free if you're within warranty.

If you have Recovery Media, that is most likely a Win8 Setup DVD -- which is great, most owners don't get that with their computer anymore. In your situation I would just use that to clean install Win8, then update to 8.1 (if that is what you choose).

Alternatively, there is a trick to download the 8.1 ISO from Microsoft when you're doing the update. I forget the details, but there is a link in this thread to a CNET article about it.

2. monza

monza Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a similar laptop (NP740U3E-X01AU). I also did the 8.1 upgrade along with the Samsung S/W update but like other people my function keys are not fully functional and my backlight keyboard is kind of not working. Do yours work properly? Does pressing Fn + F1 bring up the Samsung config/preferences options? How about Fn + F9 or F10 - does that work for adjusting back light option?

I spent a long time trying to find out why the AMD Radeon was not working properly using a fresh Windows install and in the end i followed the procedure below which worked for me:

In Samsung BIOS disable secure boot and fast boot
    change boot to CSM OS

1) Boot from USB created from Windows 8 ISO
    2) Update with Windows updates (DO NOT INSTALL Intel Centrino WiFi or AMD Radeon Graphics options)
    3) Install Samsung SW updates (DO NOT INSTALL Intel WiFi or AMD Graphics!)
    4) Install Windows 8.1 from Windows Store
    5) Install other drivers:
    • AMD Radeon 8570m lechcatlabs version download from (leshcatlabs.net forums • View topic - Release: Catalyst 13.12 WHQL UnifL) to make switchable graphics work - (as of Jan 2014 : Catalyst_13.12_WHQL_UnifL_rev_1.2.exe)
    • Intel Centrino 6235 - from Intel website (as of Jan 2014 : Wireless_16.7.0_De164.exe)
    • TouchPad (win 8 version NOT 8.1) - (Touchpad Driver_11.7.10.4 - i did this one because i found the version for windows 8.1 to have less functionality! So far i have had experienced no problems running the Windows 8 driver in Windows 8.1)
    • Realtek Memory Card Reader - from Realtek website - (as of Jan 2014 : RtsUVStor_6.2.9200.39052)

Hope this helps other people...

3. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After months following this thread, I decided to give it a try. I wanted to upgrade my Samsung Series 7 740U3E-S02DE. After all, I was successful.

Here's my step-by-step guide:

0) I created a full recovery image (look for Dannemand's post on Page 1).... I also created a backup image of my hard disk using Macrium Reflect
    1) Update everything in Windows Update and SW Update (only the 8.0 driver updates). I used only drivers provided by Samsung, exception: Intel Wifi/WLAN Drivers.
    2) Upgrade to 8.1 via Microsoft Store
    3) During Upgrade I disabled the automatic installation of driver updates via Windows Update
    4) After the upgrade process, I waited about 15 minutes looking at my Desktop. It seemed like SW Update installed some 8.1 updates without being asked. Actually I didnt care, but my Intel drivers and the backlight fix were automatically installed
    5) I followed TurtleMonkeys post on page 50 to clean install the VGA drivers (http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...msung-has-updated-drivers-50.html#post9524422)
    6) After a restart, I installed everything on SW Update. Only Audio Driver didnt work, but anyway there was no need to update because the driver was already installed.

Now everything seems to work. I kept my Original Settings Version 2.0.xx. But maybe I'll try 2.2.0.5 if its necessary.

I'm finally happy again

eva2000 and Dannemand like this.
  4. JBR48

JBR48 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Monza,

The Fn key seems to work perfectly in my case, settings menu comes up and backlight can be adjusted just fine.

I haven't tried everything yet, in particular I have to look into the working of the AMD video card. I think it's working, because Catalyst works normal, but I need to run some benchmarks to be sure. If not your suggestions may come in handy.

Jan

5. Unit Igor

Unit Igor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there,i installed Windows 8.1 and everything works ok for now.
    Only two problems that i have is
    First,my letters are somewhere ok and somewhere bold and blury.
    When i open control panel and after that Administrative tools everything is fine,but when i open Services in Administrative tools my letters are blury insade Services.I hope you understand what i try to explain.
    Second ,after i installed Settings for 8.1 from 900X3F (because 900X3C dont support Windows 8) when i clicking on buttons for backlit keyboard i dont see anymore that icone on screen.I hope they didnt move it because i miss it.

6. bertsirkin

bertsirkin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For all those that can't get SW Update working in Windows 8.1, I chatted with Samsung support today, and they provided the following link for my NP900X3C-A04US:
    SW Update

I uninstalled the version of SW Update that was installed on my NP900X3C-A04US and then installed this version. SW Update is now working, along with everything else in 8.1.

Post Script: When I rebooted the laptop, I got a notification that a newer version of SW Update was available. I foolishly updated. Then, SW Update no longer worked! So, I uninstalled, and re-installed the version from the link above, and it's working again. Now, everytime I start SW Update, I get a notice to update (which I won't do again!).

bert

Dannemand likes this.
  7. Unit Igor

Unit Igor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you see backlit icon on screen when you press backlit buttons.

8. bertsirkin

bertsirkin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My keys are back-lit, and pressing Fn F9/F10 does decrease/increase the key backlighting as expected.

There is no icon on the screen when doing this.

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @bert: That's silly Samsung's part. But good info, thanks for sharing.

10. robertdaveson18

robertdaveson18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Who can help me to solve my problem in my lapi(samsung series 5 ultrabook touch screen, model: NP540U3C-A01AE)..It can't power on even directly connected to power supply. The last time I used it, I leave the lapi on sleep mode unplug to supply and the nxt day I want to use it, IT WON'T TURN ON. I charge it for couple of hours thinking the battery was drain but still the same. Also before it happens I upgraded my lapi to win 8.1 also and now i cant open it and I dont know what to do.

Somebody knows how to fix it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.