Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well I sorted out my "right click" problem, just updated the Nvidia driver using the new SW update on the samsung website, its still a bit screwed though. you have to enter in your model and it brings up the drivers (only windows 8) so I guess I had an old Nvidia driver.

everything is working, although I'm pretty sure my F11 button thingy isn't working, it quiets the laptop for a few secs and then starts up the fan. oh well I can live like this for a while I guess :)

2. lagos

lagos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated my Ativ 9 plus to 8.1. I had two issues after the upgrade and here is how I fixed them.

Issue one, sw update doesn't work:
    Search for sw update in the start menu, right click and choose locate file. After the file opens in explorer, right click on it and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility and accept the changes it recommends. Sw update will now work.

Issue two, touch pad behaves strangely and doesn't save its settings on reboot:
    Use the now functional sw update to export a copy of the touch pad driver to your desktop. Once the files have exported, run the touch pad driver installer from the desktop. This should fix the problem.

Other than that you can click Fn+F1 and check that your settings are still the same in there. After the 8.1 update that menu had reset itself and turned Bluetooth back on when I had previously turned it off. So its good to just go over that and make sure everything is working correctly.

3. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the rundown. Might have to try this on my X3B. Now where did I put that WMC key...:D

4. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Almost everything is working good, feels faster, no wifi signal drops and now stable for one day. The one thing which bothers me is the too bright screen, I cannot decrease brightness.

Here is how SWUpdate looks now;

rhed likes this.
  5. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. TechBill

TechBill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last Night I updated to Windows 8.1 but .......... really wish I didn't ........

This is Model NP700Z5C-S02UB

My Samsung rebooted after the update was done and then it went into a loop reboot and each time it reboot it would briefly display a blue screen with message something like "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart .............. (at the end) ... If you would like to know more ........ search for this error: ACPI BIOS ERROR."

So I got on Samsung support site and they said to hit F4 to go into recovery. I hit F4 and went into recovery. A screen pop up and said that my boot was corrupted and needed to be repaired so I click Yes to repair it. It finally booted into Windows 8.1

But this morning after booting up I got the same message again and this time it did not do a reboot loop instead it went directly to Recovery page with options to choose from so I choose 8 for Safe Mode in hope to recover some files before I mess with it further but it didn't work and rebooted back right into Recovery page.

So I rebooted and hit F4 again to go to Recovery and this time I get a message "This computer does not support recovery" so I am unable to use Recovery to repair my computer or at least limp to either safe mode to do a factory reset etc.

It won't just do anything but display a Recovery screen... even try the command prompt and it only reboot to the "Your PC ran into a problem and back to Recovery page again.

Anyone have any advice on how I can fix this?

I really don't care about the data on there because I have them in cloud so it not a real bad loss for me but I need this laptop working for my college thou.

Thank you

Bill

7. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They lie - black screen issue, even following their own instructions - only fix was to safe boot and remove graphics drivers!!! AAAArrrgggghhhhh!!

8. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they're updating the models on that list so they must be working their way through. mines not on there yet though :(

9. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't recommend clean installing, it will wipe the recovery partition with no way to return to factory defaults.

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Whoa, that's nasty. Thanks a lot for the warning.

Does it wipe and re-partition the entire disk (with no option to choose otherwise)? And it's not related to switching between MBR and GPT? Say you started with an MBR disk, and the new Setup automatically makes the GPT conversion, which in previous versions you had to do manually with DISKPART. That would actually be an improvement -- assuming you can control it.

Thanks again. To all who is sharing here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.