Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatty2

goatty2 Newbie

Reputations:
    my model is in the samsung list that could be updated to win 8.
    battery life down to 5 hrs used to last 6hrs.
    just received an update for intel Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    via windows update
    no problems so far

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Indeed, your model, even though it shipped with Win7, is on Samsung's update list for Win8.1 (not just Win8).

As John posted, most Win7 models are NOT on that list (including my NP700Z3A). I think they're largely precluding Sandy Bridge models and including Ivy Bridge ones.

3. bertsirkin

bertsirkin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    FWIW, my NP900x3c-a04us shipped with Windows 7, and I was told by Samsung that I could upgrade to 8.1, which I did about a month ago without any issues (other than the fact that the SW Upgrade program doesn't seem to work now).

bert

Dannemand likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    8.1 Pro is also working fine on my gamer 7.

5. yaguiz

yaguiz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my samsung NP550PC5 shiped with win 7, I'll installed a ssd drive (intel 520/240gb has main drive, hdd caddy in BR bay with samsung HDD 1tb), windows 8.1 rtm from scratch, I use a guide from this website to install drivers and reduce latency, most of the drivers are for win 8 (manual downloaded via SW update), nvidia video drivers downloaded from nvidia site. Intel drivers downloaded via windows update. Zero problems, Zero lags, Zero crashes!!, run applications like adobe suite CC, 3dsmax, corel x6, all updated without problems.
    Simply wonderful (the ssd drive really makes the laptop flyyyyyyyy!)
    the only thing I have is not the full support of the function keys (mainly, performance control F11), the other, without visually show activation / deactivation, function anyway.

Dannemand likes this.
  6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Good job there. Thank you for sharing.

It sounds like you are using the trimmed down installation of just the Fn-keys described in the latencies thread. That hack is really just for WIn7 -- and will not give you Fn-F11 (Silent Mode).

I would definitely recommend you uninstall Easy Settings (if that is what you have now) and install Settings 2.2.0.5 instead, which you can find in SW Update under model NP940X3G. On models like yours (with ExpressCache and BLE) I prefer Settings 2.0.0.55, but unfortunately it is not compatible with Win 8.1. See the Settings thread for details.

7. Bitech

Bitech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is why I'm always hesitant to upgrade to anything new soon after its launch (whether it's the new consoles, new desktop hardware upgrades, new operating systems, browser updates (firefox's addon compatibility), new games, etc.). They're bound to be full of bugs and glitches, and the new customers are guaranteed to become guinea pigs, running into the problems and complaining about them on the forum of the particular upgrade.

I stopped installing Windows Updates a few years back after hearing about certain updates causing problems with WiFi or Windows Product Key Validations. And up until running into this thread I assumed Windows Service Packs were an exception: they were simply just stability updates to the operating system. I should have known after hearing lots of complaints regarding WiFi connection problems from Windows XP's 3rd Service Pack in the past that Service Packs were no exception. And for notebooks and pre-built desktops systems it's much worse.

I may be running Windows 8.1 on my custom desktop with no issues, but I will have to add Windows "Service Pack" updates to the wait-list for all my future notebooks and tablets.

8. DanyBoss

DanyBoss Newbie

Reputations:
    So guys just making sure, if the laptop is on the list on samsung's website is it "safe" to update? I tried it when the update came out and my laptop went retard mode (most because of the graphical driver) but now on SWUpdate if i check my model (350V5C) and set the windows version to 8.1 it appears to have a bluetooth and a amd graphic update, which were the ones that gave me trouble on the update. Just try to making sure before making something stupid again xD

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    My general response to those who ask if it's now safe to do the 8.1 update would be this:

Lots of owners of different models have successfully managed to complete the update at this point. Some with more work and pain than others. Some are working perfectly, others have only minor issues, yet others have enough issues to wish they hadn't updated or decided to roll back to Win8. A few have been disastrous.

Generally, owners of models with AMD switchable graphics seem to have had a harder time (particularly models with AMD Enduro, such as 2013 Series 7, Ativ Book 6, 7, 8) while owners of models with only integrated Intel graphics (such as Series 9, Ativ Book 9) have had an easier time.

Many have reported that Win 8.1 broke their Samsung Recovery Solution (both the older SRS5 and the newer SRS6, though in different ways). It seems that 8.1 clean install, in particular, causes this.

Personally I was able to update to Win 8.1 on my older NP700Z3A (2012 Series 7 with AMD PowerXpress) with everything working, including switchable graphics using LeeKM's modified AMD driver and Win8's built-in Intel graphics driver (as described in this post). This model (like other Sandy Bridge Models) is NOT officially supported for Win 8.1 by Samsung, even though it IS supported for Win8. But the path and combination of drivers is different for each model.

Note that you need Samsung Settings 2.2.0.5 (or newer) which can be downloaded in SW Update by using Find Model to look up NP940X3G. Newer versions may be on their way now with recently announced Samsung models. Pre-2.1 versions of settings have various incompatibilities with 8.1.

I personally prefer Settings 2.0.0.55, which is the latest version to still support Battery Life Extender and ExpressCache (for models which have those features) but this version does not work on 8.1.

In any case, and as described in the opening post of this thread, are full backups highly advisable before attempting the update: Data backups as well as image (or Recovery) backups of your current Windows installation.

For those running the update from Windows Store, System Restore (the Windows feature, not Samsung recovery) has generally been reported as unable to roll back to Restore Points before 8.1, and the Samsung Recovery Windows app also seems not to work under 8.1. F4 Recovery seems to work for most (though not all).

For owners of models delivered with Win8, I am a strong proponent of creating a Bootable Factory Image backup on a USB stick, as described in the first two steps of this post. Such a backup will allow you to completely re-image the drive no matter how messed up it becomes, and re-create all partitions, including working Recovery.

Of course experienced users (who understand UEFI and GPT) can always clean install if things get messy -- assuming they have access to Windows Install media.

In addition to the ongoing updates from Samsung (which we all agree have been late in coming) I personally expect a large update from Microsoft at some point, to address the backwards compatibility broken in 8.1 Unless the current 8.1 contains some must-have feature for you, I would recommend users to remain patient until 8.11 or 8.2 (or whatever) comes out. But that's just me...

10. Mirlan

Mirlan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much, Dannemand!

I have an Ativ 8 np88075e, I will wait as you recommend. ))
    I often read this thread, so plz share ifnormation in future regarding this question! ))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.