Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

that looks exactly like the problem I experienced yesterday when foolishly upgrading to Windows 8.1 on my Ativ 8 (HD4000 + AMD 8870 switchable graphics). On my notebook, the system booted into a black screen, showing only the mouse cursor for a short time when moving the mouse. When looking closer, the login screen widgets on the left and right (network and language IIRC) also some times briefly flashed up, and sometimes the mouse cursor changed to busy, fooling me to think theres still something going on, but it isn't. After some examination, I suspected a problem with the graphics driver and alas, that was it. Removing the old Win 8 driver for the AMD temporarily solved the problem, so I'm running on HD 4000 only currently, but otherwise the system works. This is how I finally got the system back:

1. Boot into Safe Mode. This is remarkably complicated nowadays. The correct combination is CTRL+F8, but as Windows boots very fast, it's difficult to hit at the right moment. Took me several times including hard power-offs to finally make it; there are other ways including usb sticks to overcome this; just look for details on the net. When the blueish screens appear, you're on the go. It will present you with several options, including restoring to save points, but i got only one after the upgrade and that one did not help. There should be a box labeled "Extendend Options" or the like (can't tell exactly, as I'm using a localized version), and one of the menu items there finally leads to a modern version of the old F8 options. Two of those are interesting, one of them may be booting with Low Resolution graphics, but I decided to take the Safe Mode one. Rebooted, finally landed in Safe Mode. First part complete.

2. Find the device manager and look for the graphics cards there. On my system, there are two. The culprit is the old AMD driver. Right click on that item to see the options. I decided to select "Uninstall". Note that in Safe Mode, you cannot uninstall the AMD software itself, but you can do later when the system is up again. Reboot.

The system should now come up ok. If you visit the device manager again, you will see that Windows installed a generic driver (WDDM v1.3 or sth), but that works ok for now. At least the former brick is alive again. Further actions would be to get rid of the AMD software (tried twice actually, repeating the above procedure, but they seem to be dead incompatible), hoping that Samsung will provide an update soon. Windows 8.1 also complained that the Bluetooth drivers, WiDi and so on are causing problems, and most of the Samsung tools are not up to Win 8.1 yet. Note that Windows 8.1 installed a newer version of the Intel HD graphics drivers that may or may not cause problems with brightness control, can't check for now as I reinstalled the old Win 8 drivers via SWUpdate. Apart from the missing AMD graphics, everything is more or less fine now.

What just puzzles me is that Windows thought everything about the graphics system was fine all the time. Not even a warning sign in device manager :p

HTH and good luck,
    -- Chris.

2. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    SWupdate after an update finally can recognize my laptop NP530U4E, but only 3 useless program available under all software menu ;(.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks to everybody who shared information and help here. I added to the opening post what I saw as the most significant updates. Please let me know if I missed anything significant. I'll be out much of the day, but checking in on my phone from time to time.

4. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK new problem - How do I get my PC to boot from an external Rescue CD?

Presumably I need to get at the BIOS... but like I say, repeatedly hitting F8 doesnt seem to do anything and I go straight to the logging in screen. Control/F8 and Shift/F8 seem to be no better!

EDIT:
    Okay, I've managed to boot off my external CD and am now installing off my Macrium Reflect (Free) image of my hard disk that I took a couple of days ago.
    [ To help anyone else - I worked out that you need to hold Fn down before hitting F2, and then it opens the BIOS. I think needed to A) turn Fast Bios mode off and B) change boot device to the CD. The bizarre thing about B) is that it boots off the CD drive *immediatelyI* you select it! ]

5. belzebutt

belzebutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you disable Fast Boot? Disable that, reboot, hit F2 and then make sure your USB stick is in the boot options and at the top of the list.

6. belzebutt

belzebutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm upgrading to Windows 8.1 for the second time, the only issue I had the first time around was with a VPN client and it turns out this wasn't 8.1's fault.

On the NP900X3C I'm pretty sure there's no reason not to upgrade. Here's what you should do first:
    - Optional: do a clean Windows 8 install if you want to do something that resembles a clean Windows 8.1 install. There is no legit ISO available and I don't think you can install Windows 8.1 without an 8.1 key anyway, so assuming you want to keep legit licenses you have to start with Windows 8.0.
    - Optional: if you have a Media Center key, add that to Windows 8 first. Then make sure you run Windows Media Center at least once and do the setup.
    - Run Windows update. You need at least KB 2871389 in order to see the 8.1 update, maybe more. I updated mine fully.
    - Install SWUpdate and install anything you consider crucial. This time around I went with only Settings, the Touchpad driver. Also I added the Rapid Storage driver and installed Rapid Start 3.0, but I think those can be run later since they're from Intel and Intel has 8.1 drivers.
    - Run Windows 8.1 upgrade.
    - Re-install the Touchpad driver.

Everything should work fine.

go45cvi and Dannemand like this.
  7. wickettaker

wickettaker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My ATIV Book 8 boots to a blue screen where I can move around the cursor for a few seconds and it disappears into the blue screen again. I booted it in safe mode and under device manager, it highlights monitor and says "generic PnP Monitor". I reinstalled HD4000 drivers from Intel's website and it seemed to work but I keep hearing the sound you hear when you unplug something and then the AMD drivers are highlighted. It's a clean install of windows 8 and I downloaded 8.1 from the Windows Store. Any help is appreciated. :)

8. gizzmoffm

gizzmoffm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yay, got Bluetooth working again on my NP900X3F.

1. Removed Qualcomm Drivers
    2. Rebooted
    3. Downloaded Windows 8 Qualcomm drivers
    4. Enabled Windows 8 Compatibility Mode in Properties of the installer executable
    5. Finished Setup

After Reboot, Windows told me that the device does not work.
    Here's the trick: You have to hard-reset the USB Bluetooth device.
    How?
    - Shutdown Windows
    - Remove Power Cable
    - Press PIN on the back for a couple of seconds (this disconnects the Battery)
    - Connect Power
    - Boot

Everything works now :) This took me hours to figure out...

Dannemand likes this.
  9. rhed

rhed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi DackEW, so you're saying you've updated your laptop to Windows 8.1, updated SW Update, and yet only the three useless programs are available? If so, how's your machine running so far on 8.1?

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I had to do some cleaning out here:

The handling of this upgrade by Samsung does indeed leave much to be desired. Microsoft too, if you ask me, for breaking compatibility and making it so hard to roll back.

But this is a sticky thread, not a chat room. Venting frustrations, let alone discussing how this compares to other failures in the history of technology, is NOT what this thread is for. I would ask participants to keep their posts on the topic of documenting Win 8.1 issues and solutions. And please keep your language within forum rules.

Now please carry on. There has been some great information shared here already :)

John Ratsey and damouk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.