Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewangel

andrewangel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After a clean installation of Windows 8.1 o.s. via USB key, I downloaded Windows 8.1 drivers & software for my Samsung Series 9 NP900X4C A01IT using NP900X4C A02IT model via SW Update (no Windows 8.1 drivers found for my NP900X4C A01IT using SW Update) with manual model selection; Settings software wasn't available in Windows 8.1 list of A02IT model, so I downloaded the Windows 8 version specific for my A01IT model.

Installed: Chipset, MEI, IRST, Video drivers, Airplane mode (all specific for Windows 8.1, A02IT model) and Settings (for Windows 8, A01IT model). Touchpad, wi-fi and bluetooth are ok with default Microsoft Windows 8.1 drivers. Function (Fn) keys are ok after Settings installation.

Until now it seems that everything is working well with my Series 9 NP900X4C A01IT.

Andrea

Dannemand likes this.
  2. pjakesson

pjakesson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Similar experience as Andrea with my NP900X4C-A01SE, but I did a clean 8.1 install from USB iso.

Samsung drivers installed: Airplane mode, chipset and ELAN touchpad,
    Samsung software; SW Update and Settings (from Win 8, same as Andrea)

Everything seems to work nicely,

Per

3. vphilot

vphilot Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you managed to get out of this boot loop? I'm currently desperate trying to save my notebook because of looping after 8.1 update,

4. baroninkjet2

baroninkjet2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, after a few weeks of modest success I screwed up something today. The big issue is the AMD drive (Series 7 770Z7E). Disabled AMD, and it turns it back on. Delete the software, it gets it again. Certain actions were causing "Thread stuck in device driver" Finally, the screen wouldn't come on at all. Mouse would show up on it, but that's it.

I am writing this just as a word or warning. I though I was done and all was stable. And here I am rolling back to 8.0 recovery. I think I will stay there a while. I never did figure out the battery life issues, so it will be nice to get my battery back.

5. Flickerdart

Flickerdart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is actually an Intel driver issue (at least, in my experience). Knocking it down to an older version can fix this problem.

6. kDrum

kDrum Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well this is annoying. I have default drivers for my HD4000 and GT640M on a np700z5c series 7 chronos, but I think something else is up. My laptop is EXTREMELY slow when it resumes from sleep. Like, it takes 5+ seconds, and is choppy getting like 5 frames per second and dropping letters and everything. This is on a quad ivy bridge CPU with a samsung 840 SSD. I don't know if it's a driver issue, but it hasn't happened until I updated to 8.1 so it must be.

I'm annoyed with Samsung lately. I think I'm definitely going to upgrade to a broadwell laptop when they're out and get a Surface Pro 3 or something similar. Samsung support has been crappy to me lately >.< and I have my desktop for gaming.

7. fugunaga

fugunaga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay here's my review, i have updated my laptop NP740U3E touchscreen + AMD 8570 graphic version, the steps for update is
    1. reset it to the factory version (of course it's windows 8)
    2. update all of windows 8 needs (i didn't upgrade the drivers from SW update)
    3. restart then go to store and download the windows 8.1
    4. restart and install the windows 8.1
    5. Log in to desktop (i do this normally without any issue) and open SW update, there are some updates for drivers.
    6. Update the drivers from the SW update
    7. after that all of the functions works normally (including brightness, ambient sensor, airplane mode, graphic mode, amd catalyst (mine is not beta), Lan driver and wifi works normally, Sleep mode still normal, Battery do normal
    8. there's some improvement for my laptop (my RAM management become more efficient, my graphic's memory is increased, startup become a bit faster (about 1-2 seconds).

this is my review with my laptop version ativ book 7 and good luck :)

John Ratsey likes this.
  8. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey fugunaga,
    when you start SW Update in Windows 8.1, are there any Samsung tools (like Settings) or just drivers? I want to wait with my 740u3e until a working settings application is published...

9. fugunaga

fugunaga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i didn't see 'settings' , only graphic drivers, airplane mode, sound drivers, lan drivers, windows 8.1 patch, adaptive brightness control for 8.1, touchpad drivers, bluetooth drivers ....... my 'settings' (FN+F1) working well , no issue although it's not updated :)

10. Quazartz

Quazartz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, is it safe for me to install the graphics driver (10.18.10.3304) provided by SW Update if I already installed the one from Windows update (10.18.10.3316)? My laptop model is NP370R4E-S06PH. AMD (13.152.0.0) was already installed through Windows update so that's why I can use demanding programs without lag but I still can't open the Catalyst Control Center. Will the graphics driver update gain me access to AMD settings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.