Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do you get to this new settings? what model number are you using?

cheers

2. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I want to chime in the discussion of upgrading to Windows 8.1. In my opinion and experience with my Ativ Book 8 (NP880) over 1 week, I could say it is safe to upgrade to it. Samsung has released a set of driver that basically can be interchanged between different model, with one exception: the graphic driver. Currently I have installed the graphic driver from Samsung and it works properly. For those of you that have the HD 7000M or HD 8000M series, I suggest using some driver cleaner to remove completely the unusable driver and download the one from Samsung SW Update, its version should be 10.18.10.3304. Although this one is actually not the latest from Intel and AMD, but it will ensure the stability.

For those having problems with touchpad, install the one from SW Update, version 11.7.18.2. However, after you install this, go to the location that you download the driver and copy file ETDAniConf.exe from x86 folder to somewhere else and run it. This will allow you to config whatever you want with the touchpad.

For Settings program, here is the direct link if you don't see it from SW Update (version 2.2.0.5)
    Code:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201310/20131021184010169/BASW-84270A30.ZIP

For the rest, you can use SW Update to find yours or search the NP880 and download the drivers from that model. I recommend to download it and install each of them manually, not through SW Update if you can.

P/s: So the BIOS update breaks the ability to wake the system on when opening the lid. I guess Samsung will release another one to fix that.

John Ratsey and Dannemand like this.
  3. LusoSpikes

LusoSpikes Newbie

Reputations:
    On the 22 October 2013 I got the email from Samsung saying that I could install Win8.1 . (see my post in this Thread).

4. Mirlan

Mirlan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I have a np880z5e on w8 with basic hdd disk. I read many articles and I am bit confused. Is it safe to update to w8.1? I did all offered updates on sw update. Main fears are RAM usage, performance, display...

5. SkuterPL

SkuterPL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For ultrabook 5 we could download new BIOS P12, finally again I can enter in BIOS by pressing f2 ;)

6. hylobates

hylobates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded and my samsung series 9 notebook has a multitude of very annoying problems. Might sell it when it ever gets solved. Have had nothing but problems since I've bought this laptop (and the broken series 9 right before). Staying away from samsung in the future, seriously disappointed.
    Programs not installing, not downloading, games not opening, screen remaining on when lid closed, vpn not working, wifi not working, mouse pad completely crap, both physically as now softwarely. Piece of expensive crap.

7. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    UPDATE: regarding the loss of my power plans I believe a windows update caused it or its the new settings. After restoring my image I then installed the newest settings, all my toggles were back so I made a restore point. today after a windows update and a restart I lost my power plans again, so I restored back using the restore point and my power plans were back! I've stopped windows updates for the time being until I figure out whats causing the problem.

thanks

Dannemand likes this.
  8. Kev.Enn

Kev.Enn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    NP780Z5E-S01UB here, impatience got the better of me after trying to download 8.1 when it first came out. (Reverted back to win8 after the common black screen.) Today, I did a factory reset because I had nothing much on the computer from the last failure-- I installed the drivers via SWUpdate and the windows 8 updates. Downloaded 8.1, restarted, and no black screen! The resolution was off and brightness couldn't be toggled, but that was fixed after simply downloading the available 8.1 drivers from SWU. Now, resolution is fine, and brightness can be toggled. The battery life so far is the same as win8, as are the fans. I'm currently de-bloating + tweaking a few things, and so far things look promising.
    TL;DR: Windows 8.1 works so far on mine. I'll definitely report back if any problems arise.

Update: Tried to install my normal antivirus: Webroot. Shortly after installing, kept getting BSOD, error "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (kbdclass.sys). Uninstalled it and am running with Windows Defender, all is normal again.

Dannemand likes this.
  9. baroninkjet2

baroninkjet2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not thinking straight, I did the update first day on my 770Z7E 17". Compared with some of the horror stories here, mine was pale. Worst event was installing the Windows Update video package after the fact. Required two hard reboots -- battery disconnect -- to get Windows to start. But it fixed a ton of graphics problems(buttons would not work, etc). Finally today, I got Settings back.

The big problem I have is battery life. Mine was good for 5-6 hours before the update. Now I am getting close to three. I don't see anything obvious causing it. (I develop software and am beta tester for some high performance software, so am VERY attentive to performance issues.) I saw another post earlier on the thread with a similar issue, but never a solution.

Another thing I have noticed is the fan speed is running higher when plugged in. Even with identical power plan settings for battery/plugged, fan speeds up when it is plugged in considerably. Stumpted. Only clue I have is I installed the Intel ME Engine, which I had not before. I'm going to try uninstalling that next.

Anyone suggestions?

Thanks!!

10. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I lost my burning software power to go.. that was it for me. Plus, if I upgraded to the newer blue tooth driver it would kill that to.. Other then that, 8.1 did seem to be ok. Being that Samsung pulled 8.1 from the store on my NP900X3E-K01US I decided to do a refresh with the option to keep all my data files. That went smooth, but I hand to reinstall all my desktop applications again so several hours of customizing 8 again. But in the end, I notice the overall system seems snappier and more stable. I'm not going to consider 8.1 again until I see something from Samsung themselves pushing it. Although, the old windows mail really is unusable, I'll just use my web yahoo or Google one. Too much was changed in 8.1 it seemed to break too many applications. MS should have just built the better UI at launch. But if your experiencing sever performance issues I strongly suggest doing the system refresh with the option to keep personal documents intact. Its not worth the struggle with Samsung themselves are not ready for 8.1. If you don't see 8.1 in the windows store, that is a telling sign IMO.

UPDATE:
    Well a bunch more windows updates showed up and after installing all of them, the windows 8.1 promptly shows itself up in the windows store again. There are a couple of apps, like the Facebook app in modern that won't install unless I install the 8.1 again. I'm tempted to try it again. I've switched by buring software to Nero burning Rom which is suppose to support 8.1. I just wish there was an easier way to roll back 8.1 when thinks go south. Doing refreshes is time consuming process to get things they way I want them in W8. I will contact Samsung again via the chat to see if the ATB9 FHD is supports 8.1

Dannemand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.