Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi

My Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook (NP740U3E-S04UK) has finally popped with "Get Windows 8.1 for free... Go to the Store", (in a big blue stripe across the screen) which it certainly didn't do previously. In fact I dont know how to get rid if the message. Escape and Alt/F4 both fail.

Does this mean that Samsung have got the drivers working?

J

2. gorbick

gorbick Newbie

Reputations:
    NO! Be careful! I have exactly the same model - NP740U3E-S04UK. And as I was adventurous enough, I installed Windows 8.1 on the very first day of its release. I had almost no problems, compared to some other users of this forum, still there was this irritating issue with no brightness control. Having read other posts I realise I need to install old graphics driver. I did this via SW Update by manually inserting my model number and choosing Windows 8 (NOT 8.1!) as operating system. Then I was able to download old graphics card driver and install it, that fixed the issue with brightness.

BUT! A few days ago SW Update prompted me a whole list of updates available. I decided that Samsung finally made some fixes. But I was careful enough to update one by one. And everything went smoothly apart from Graphics driver. Samsung offer to install graphics driver ver. 10.18.10.33. After installation I got black screen issue. Had to reboot and make system restore! So be careful with graphics driver!

Annoyingly enough, this morning, while I was working, it started to install this driver again without even bothering to ask me if I don't mind! I was lucky enough to kill this installation via task manager before I got black screen again!

3. helom6

helom6 Newbie

Reputations:
    ah yes I saw those posts but unlike him, my keyboard doesnt seem to respond when my laptops starts. Not sure why though.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I had the same thing pop up on my X4C and had the same annoyance about no easy way to get rid of it. So I clicked on the banner and then managed to escape at the next screen.

I had an interesting telecon with a Samsung support person today: They seemed to think that it is Microsoft's job to make sure everything works with 8.1!

Unless there's a must-have feature in 8.1 that you can't wait for then I recommend you wait until this thread goes quiet and the title gets changed. Samsung are evidently working on various issues and I wouldn't be surprised if these compatibility issues are delaying their Haswell models.

John

5. QuiteCalm

QuiteCalm Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you guys for all the hard work that has gone into resolving the problems. I'm down to 1 (that is obvious to me) thanks to you! Greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, the last problem is a high volume warning that I get each time I increase the volume above 40%, when having external speakers jacked in. I've got a 730U3E. I've not found anything when googling, and I'm usually quite good at it. Anyone has any experience of this annoyance?

6. Ultra_Gizmo_64

Ultra_Gizmo_64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The recent update with SW Update has caused my pc to be on constant high memory usage.

Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

The high memory is not being caused by Google Chrome because before this update the memory usage would stay around 40-50%
    The PC that I have is a NP550P7C-S05UK.

I hope Samsung or Microsoft can fix this and many other bugs.

7. johnbarr

johnbarr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Updated an ativ book 8 np880 (Australian model) last night but only after finding 8.1 drivers in the "find model" section of SW update. Did what Samsung suggests, that is, SW updates and Windows update before and after the install. I noticed in the SW updates after I loaded 8.1 there was a patch called "brightness" and a graphics driver upgrade. Maybe Samsung has read this thread. :) All works perfectly except the screen was blurry and was obviously not the right scaling. I remember another post that mentions this but I couldn't find it. I googled "blurry screen after windows 8.1 update" and got the fix I needed. Right click the desktop, screen resolution, change text size to fixed scaling. I chose 125%

8. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So here my take on the update Windows 8.1 with the Ativ Book 8. Since I bought a new Ativ Book 8 to replace my 2012 Series 7 Chronos, I decided to throw in an SSD and then installed fresh Windows 8.1 on to it without upgrade from 8. I don't know if I was lucky or not, but everything is working right now. What I did were installed SW Update, and instead of using that program to install drivers, I downloaded each driver, then install them from the download. This way is much safer. You will have complete set of driver, compare to download and install at the same time using SW Update. Some small drivers can be done through that program, but for most of them, try to download and install each of them.
    There is actually a fix for brightness as someone pointed out early. For Setting program, you need to download from other model, then SW Update will provide an update to it.

And here is the thing about the graphic. Without the driver, either from AMD or Samsung, the screen will behave like crashing after awhile, but completely usable as Windows recognizes both cards, but we don't have switching mechanism with that set of drivers. Then I tried to use AMD 13.11 Beta 7. Surprising, that driver was failed. Maybe it is brand new so that the Intel driver does not support or vice versa. Then I completely removed everything, download the one from Samsung and install it. Now I have both are working good. I have not tested the gaming capability yet, but seem like the switchable is working. One thing that I noticed is that the Intel driver from Samsung is not the latest that Windows provided, but it works.

Just some of my opinion in my case. I hope Samsung will release more latest driver, especially the graphic. I might try to use some of those drivers to install for the old 2012 Chronos and see what will happen. The only thing that I am not sure is that the Ativ 8 does not turn on from sleep when I open the lid as I have to press the power to turn it back on. The other thing is the BIOS update that SW Update tells me. Try to find the link to download the BIOS file but no hope. If I went with SW Update, it would take forever and nothing would happened. Also I tried to use the firmware tool from the old Chronos, but it said it could not download.

9. flotheking

flotheking Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my 730U3E, my computer doesn't work very well each time I close the lid.
    It is supposed to shut down but it doesn't.
    Moreover, I also lose my trackpad settings when I'm coming back from sleep mode.

10. HI DesertNM

HI DesertNM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a pretty huge blunder IMO for 8.1 One that I noticed immediately after I installed 8.1 on my AB9 FHD. Changing the scaling to fixed is the only solution. Even popular apps like skype did not scale well. That is truly embarrassing for MS being they own skype. :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.