Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indigo

indigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Series 9 900X4C, updated last night- everything working except SWupdate (couldn't recognise the model number). Just checked again and SWupdate is now working, but doesn't show the drivers just software.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I see there that SW Update > Find Model now lists a "Windows Blue" section for some newer models.

However, the only program listed at the moment is SW Update (which should be auto-updating itself anyway).

This small step forward is a hint that Samsung might be working on something.

John

3. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Samsung Series 7 Ultra Notebook 128GB SSD (upgraded to 512GB) 13.3"
    Model: NP740U3E-S04UK
    Windows 8 x64 Pro, just upgraded to 8.1

Hi

Like an *****, I installed Windows 8.1 off a link in an article, blithely assuming that Samsung would have sorted out any possible driver problems by now. [By coincidence I even updated all the latest Intel drivers last night because I was trying to get Push2TV to work on my TV. A bit clunky and very slow to connect but it did work... In fact it was the site on Intel.com of lots of talk about "welcome to Windows 8.1" and "compatible with 8.1" and often no longer any mention of Windows 8 (vanilla)... and that encouraged me to install Windows 8.1.]

I now have a laptop with a blank (black) screen - i.e. as useful as a brick.

(Strangely, even if I log in using logmein.com it's still a completely black screen, even though I know I am controlling the laptop successfully because I can see the mouse pointer move on it. So it's not just a problem driving the screen hardware itself, it must be a deeper problem)

Okay what should I do next?

I think I saw someone saying that we need to remove some driver. The trouble is that I cant even boot into safe mode! (What is the correct proceedure? I tried holding down the power key for about 10 seconds, then releasing and touching the power key briefly. I then get the Samsung logo. And I keep hitting the F8 key... but the screen still goes completely black).

OR how do I uninstall Windows 8.1 ... or is it too late?

OR are we to be forced to abandon our computers completely for a few days until Samsung get their act together.

FWIW, the current state of play is that the screen is completely black except for when I move the mouse pointer using the trackpad, at which point the white pointer arrow appears for a second or so.

Many thanks

J

EDIT: I tried holding down Shift and then hitting F8 a couple of times every second but that didn't work either. Black screen again.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

4. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about your issue, mine seems, well minor compared to yours.

To get to Safe mode you have to first disable fast boot within bios that will then allow you to enter the key combinations before loading into windows.

then go past the BIOS splash screen, and hold down the Shift key and repeatedly hit the F8 key, this will bring you into Recovery mode.

finally in here (should be a blue metro like screen) you can refresh your PC, (see if this solves the issue). By clicking on the "show advanced repair options" choose "windows startup option" in here you can set windows to run in safe mode.

it's explained (probably better) in this article How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)

hope this helps

5. ReVaS

ReVaS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you can try holding F4 after you turn on the laptop. Keep holding it untill you get into recovery menu. You can check for a restore point there. (If you made any).

6. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wait so I held down F4 and yes, eventually I got a screen called "Recovery". However it is threatening to "recover this computer to the factory settings" - yikes! That sounds drastic! I have made some Restore Points recently in Windows 8.0 - can't I use them somehow?

With thanks

J

P.S. I also have v recently made a recovery CD (using Macrium Refect) - perhaps I could use that?

7. newcastlefc200

newcastlefc200 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    try my method it will probably give you more options.

The recovery disk may enable you to recover but it may wipe everything at the same time.

good luck

8. ReVaS

ReVaS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    with F4 you get into SAMSUNG's recovery. There is a windows recovery as well.

From your earlier post, i understand you do see the login screen? if you do, then before logging in push the power button on screen (right bottom corner), press SHIFT and click restart.

9. ship69

ship69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I have managed to 'Refresh' - and yes, I am now back to Window 8.0. But it has lost all my applications and settings. I wasnt expecting it to do that! Nightmare. Right I'd better re-install Macrium Reflect and see if I can recover from there. ***** nightmare.

10. snappersrb

snappersrb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried the upgrade with 740U3E-S02DE. I would recommend not to upgrade any time soon. Samsung has to sort out the issues with drivers and Samsung tools.
    For people with black screen: Boot to safe mode (hit Shift+ F8 during boot) and roll back the AMD Graphics Driver to the previous one.

In my case, the 8.1 upgrade also destroyed the possibility of recovery options (Samsung+Microsoft).

So: For any ultrabook users with AMD/Intel combination. Download the new SW Update, wait for new drivers (especially for Amd and Intel VGA). But there is hope Samsung will provide us with updates because they're officially promoting many Ultrabooks "ready" for 8.1 upgrade on their European support sites...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.