Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aslsw

aslsw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got 10 updates through the SW Update:

- Online Chat Consultation Service - installed after restart,
    - Multi-Memory Card Driver,
    - Chipset Driver,
    - Intel ME Interface Driver,
    - Intel Rapid State Storage Technology - installed after restart,
    - Sound Driver,
    - Touchpad Driver,
    - LAN Driver,
    - Wireless LAN Driver - installed after restart,
    - Bluetooth Driver - installed after restart,
    - Support Center – installed after restart,
    - Help Desk - installed after restart, and
    - Win 8.1 Brightness Patch Program.

Brightness control is definitely back, I'm not sure how easily I can test out the other updates although wireless will be easy enough to observe in action.

I also notice that the AMD site shows the 13.11 beta driver is now dated 25/10/2013 so I assume there has been an update to that as well. I'm just about to download and install that now.

[EDIT] New video driver refused to update claiming that it's not compatible. Tried to update the driver through Device Manager and have now screwed it up. Got the black screen of death initially, laptop has now booted up properly but graphics card is no longer working.

[EDIT 2] Device Manager now reports the AMD as 13.152 dated 30/08/2013. Next step is to see if this plays along nicely with FSX.

2. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    No, it is not nice from Samsung, for me it is clear Samsung made the mistake, everybody knew Windows 8.1 is coming! I wonder Samsung was sleeping? The manufacturers even could have the final RTM version since late August for to prepare their drivers, software for the 17th October start. Samsung should have offer the 8.1 drivers and installation instructions from 17th October or earlier via SWupdate, than no black screens, brightness control, etc... And now they blaming Microsoft, because they published a new OS? I want enjoy the new OS and do not wanna wait more!!!
    Fortunately now my AtivBook 5 working perfectly with the new chipset and the two VGA drivers, but still bugging me Samsung's attitude.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is again complete speculation on my part, but I think there may have been a tug of war between Microsoft and Samsung going on for months leading up to this upgrade. Samsung knew 8.1 broke compatibility and wanted Microsoft to fix it, so they wouldn't have to spend a fortune updating and re-certifying all their drivers - only a year after having done the same for Win8. Microsoft were on a righteous path to transform Windows and wanted Samsung (and other vendors) to just do the work and update their drivers. In the end, Samsung (and again, maybe other vendors too) dared Microsoft to release 8.1, betting that they (MS) would take the blame from users when everything fell apart. Something like that.

Any of us here who tested 8.1 since the first Preview (as I did here back in June, along with several other members) noticed immediately how it broke compatibility and new drivers were needed. It just doesn't make sense that both of these big companies would completely overlook this problem or pretend it didn't exist.

There is no doubt we have incompetence here. I just think there has to be more going on. Either way, customers ended up on the losing end.

I did it again now, giving in to speculation, instead of focusing on solutions here :eek:

For now, I think by far the best strategy for Samsung owners is to wait. If you already upgraded and it works, great. If you upgraded and it doesn't easily resolve, then roll back and wait. I wouldn't be surprised if an 8.11 update comes out. Or maybe just a bunch of Microsoft updates to 8.1.

John Ratsey and Atom Ant like this.
  4. aslsw

aslsw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whatever happened in those driver updates, I now have my old system back*. FSX plays along nicely with no crashes to the desktop, screen brightness is adjustable, no wifi dropouts since the updates although I still can't figure out what my remaining unrecognised device is.

* Fingers crossed. My confidence in PCs and Windows 8 has taken a massive hit.

5. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just after the upgrade to 8.1, the Fn-keys in my X3E worked fine, but then after a day or two they stopped working, perhaps because of some update, I am not even sure, as there were so many of them. F-12 WiFi is always on and F2/F3 brightness keys don't work, which is very annoying (I've booted up several Linux distros from a pendrive, they have other issues, but in all of them the brightness keys do work..).

6. MENTAL1ST

MENTAL1ST Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can still see the update in the Windows Store, and there are a load of drivers for my NP780Z5E-S01UK for Wndows 8.1 listed in Software Update.

So I'm taking the plunge.

3.something gigs is going to take a while to download, though, so I've got plenty of opportunity to chicken out.

7. navneetsingh

navneetsingh Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung NP300E5C-S01IN and it came pre-installed with WIN 8. I updated it to WIN 8.1 today and the touchpad and bluetooth are not working. I tried to update the drivers using SW-Update. But it is not taking all the keyboard commands. I downloaded the touchpad driver using another laptop but the driver is unable to find the touchpad to install it.
    I DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO.
    And there is not much I am able to do with the help of the keyboard. I cannot access the Samsung settings as keyboard doesn't work there.

8. d14b0ll0s

d14b0ll0s Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    8.1 is still not listed for my NP700Z3A (which it was originally). I suppose that means Samsung has worked it out so that it only shows up on models that either (A) they know are now supported with updated drivers, or (B) are on their list of supported models (here) regardless of whether updates are actually out yet. Indeed, my model is not on that list.

10. everfor

everfor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Samsung NP880Z5E PTV3000 miracast is not working

After upgrading to windows 8.1 ,i am not able to see ptv3000 display in project. While installation i able to see and add pushtv p2tv3000 with security number after successful installation in few seconds it disappeared from other device. Also I have uninstalled all the display & wireless driver and through intel widi update tool it has installed the drivers itself. Intel display version is 10.18.10.3282 and amd display 13.20.16-130926a-163585E-ATI. But i able to see the push2tv ptv3000 driver and properties in devices and printers. Also i have upgrade ptv3000 firmware to latest one i.e ptv3000V2.4.19.

My laptop is NP880Z5E-X02UK. Kindly advise how to fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.