Windows 8.1 Update Issues and Discussion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Dannemand, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spincel

spincel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of my thought on why Samsung might not release for the 2012 is that the graphic driver. Everything else is interchangeable between every model. Actually, there is not much about specs compatible for Windows 8.1. The 2012 is still compatible if and only if the OEMs provide the drivers. My laptop is currently running most newest driver from different vendors, though I only keep the old Settings and nothing else. They haven't released anything update after awhile for every models. Moreover, we could not blame MS for this because they actually gave other OEMs 2 months in advance and before that (partner builds) to create and test drivers. Once I get my laptop back, I will try to upgrade and see if it works. I don't really want to shelve out 1k more to get new laptop just because of one update.

P/s: Talking with Samsung US support now. They have no clue like before :mad:.

damouk likes this.
  2. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the UK NP780Z5E

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Indeed, graphics drivers and switchable graphics are the greatest and most visible variable (AMD 6000 vs AMD 8000 vs Nvidia Optimus vs HD3000 vs HD4000 vs HD4400). USB3 varies quite a bit as well (Intel vs ASMedia vs Renesas) but is fortunately supported directly by Windows now. The same is true with WiFi and Bluetooth (Broadcom vs Intel 6230/6235 vs Intel 7260). G7C has ModeShift. Also, many 2011 and 2012 models had ExpressCache, without which HDD speed will suffer -- though in my original test of 8.1 Preview (here and here) ExpressCache 1.0.94 seemed to still work.

But I think another big challenge for Samsung is the different families of BIOS that support the various features of the different models. Samsung's drivers and Settings rely on BIOS calls with knowledge of the different models encapsulated into the various modules. I wouldn't be surprised if many models require BIOS updates in order for everything to work properly with 8.1.

I still think Microsoft overshot when they changed architectural bits in an otherwise minor update, which broke hardware drivers. But I think Samsung failed by having a hacky driver architecture in the first place, so that they couldn't update as quickly as other vendors. And of course by not announcing and warning properly.

I am sorry, I get carried away in speculation here. It won't happen again (right :D )

damouk likes this.
  4. TBundz

TBundz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, i bought a NP510R5E-A01UK Series 5 laptop last week and updated to win 8.1 when it was released, i have subsequently lost the ability to adjust brightness. Should i get a refund while i still can or will Samsung release updates for this model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

5. joeTaco

joeTaco Newbie

Reputations:
    NP740U3E-A01UB here. Tried uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling Intel HD4000 drivers, but I still can't change brightness. SW update did find new touchpad drivers and they are working fine, three-finger gestures included.

I tried using Samsung support chat and it was just infuriating. The first guy told me it was a "registry issue" and we could fix it, but of course, I'd have to talk to a second guy to do that - and the second guy requires a modest subscription fee. OH REALLY SAMSUNG? You need me to pay you to fix a known issue on my five month old laptop? A known issue that is widespread and you had plenty of time to fix before 8.1 was officially released? I hate you. Actually, looking at this thread, I very much doubt the second guy would have even fixed it. It's just a racket.

Even if they fix the brightness issue tomorrow, I will never buy a Samsung laptop again.

tldr - Don't bother using "Samsung S Service" support.

6. SDog

SDog Newbie

Reputations:
    Same question here - I can't find that model John. What country is it listed under?

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would add that I discovered a few months ago that the X4Cs released with Windows 8 have a different BIOS family (***ABK) than those released with Windows 7 (***AAC). I think the same applied to the Series 7. So some of the potential headaches now arise from design decisions made when Windows 8 was still a blob on the horizon.

I think that speculation has a valid place in this thread if it helps the frustrated notebook users understand headaches. But I also suspect there has been insufficient reporting back up Samsung's line of command to say that they wouldn't be ready with the updates and needed more time or resources.

Samsung haven't yet released the 8.1 drivers / software for your model. They will arrive, sometime. As you can see from this thread, 8.1 is having numerous unexpected side-effects.

If you mean the NP940X3G-K06DE then it is Germany (DE for Deutschland) Series 9. I would note, however, that there is a report that the new touchpad driver lacked the 3 and 4 finger gestures.

John

Dannemand likes this.
  8. norepinephrine

norepinephrine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have a direct download link to SW Update 2.2.0.5? It's not showing for me.

9. Alfigue

Alfigue Newbie

Reputations:
    in NP770Z5E-S01CL they only upgrade the SW update for 8.1; but nothing more :( i restored my windows for repair the black screen, i think that we must wait until they release the newest graphic driver on SW Update
    (sorry for my bad english)

10. SDog

SDog Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Samsung settings back - downloaded a copy for a series 9 model (NP940) in the US, under windows 8 (not 8.1).
    So the Settings program is now working, plus SW update just updated it for me to 2.2.05, even though my machine is an NP780 series in Canada with Win 8.1

The Fn brightness keys now "Work" i.e. the brightness meter is displayed in the top left corner, but it still doesn't change the brightness, neither do any of the innate windows controls... ugh. I'm going to remove the intel 4000 drivers and see if that does anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.