1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Windows 8.1 on Alienware m15x with gtx560m

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by amichail, Nov 12, 2013.

1. amichail

amichail Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I have a eurocom gtx560m in my Alienware. I used the instructions that Dutchess posted on this forum and was able to update the drivers and the card works great in Windows 7. I have used the same instructions on modifying the .inf file, specifically the nvcvn.inf file for the 331.65 driver in windows 8.1. The driver setup recognizes the hardware and then proceeds to ask if I want a custom or express setup. I select custom, then only choose the graphics driver and physx driver. It runs for a bit then gives a message that the driver installation has failed. Does anyone know how to install drivers for the gtx560m on windows 8.1? Thanks.

2. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you try another driver version?

3. mikysee

mikysee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am having the same problem with my M15X with 560M and Win8.1. The driver version I tried was 331.82. Is there a solution to this?

4. chopsy

chopsy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you disable the driver signing? I think it was something like this :
    win-X for admin command prompt and enter these without quotation marks:
    "bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS"
    "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON"

5. mikysee

mikysee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I entered both command lines but the driver install still fails.

6. Cryzer

Cryzer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The file that needs to be modified has many sections, if I remember correctly: 6.0 was for windows 7, 6.1 was for windows 8 and 6.2 was for windows 8.1. So just put the lines representing your GPU in the right one and it should work. Also do not forget to disable signature drivers in the Windows 8.1 menu (check google for that), otherwise it wont install. I also have windows 8.1 and it runs fine. Good luck.