Windows 7 volume control won't open

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by smood, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smood

smood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I try to click my speaker icon to open the volume control and nothing happens when I double click it or right click and select volume control.

The only way I can adjust volume is by my keyboard media keys or going into sound in control panel then properties and changing levels there.

Any idea how to fix this? I have an on board sound and win 7 x64 ultimate.

I also have no way at looking at invidual sound levels of different programs since I can't open the volume mixer.

(This is a continuation thread from my last one which was closed for some reason. A year later, this problem is still there. I have fully updated my win7 installation on this system).

Thanks!

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Smood, is this on the ASUS? If yes,do you have any 3rd party sound software installed (Creative??) open All programs - Creative - Sound Blaster Audigy HD- volume panel - after minimize this should put a creative volume control in the task bar.

Actually the SW needs Creative THX TruStudio - the above info applies only to the G73-JH, but I assume there may be a simiar option?
    If a thread is not responded to in 1 year it gets closed...

3. smood

Reputations:
    I should have mentioned this is on a different system but it doesn't have any creative/soundblaster products in it. At first I thought it did so I thought you might be right but I checked theres no hardware in it.

Josea I see, maybe it was just time that caused the thread to be closed, fair enough.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    If you open device manager - sound, video .. are you using windows drivers for anything that appears there? Also try clicking properties - driver - update driver.
    Another thing that may help- create a new account and login with it to see if the issue is profile specific.

5. smood

Reputations:
    Hey Josea I have a VIA chipset for audio but I also have an ATI audio device in my 4890 that the system has. I think it might be a windows driver for the VIA audio since it it says under publisher "Microsoft Windows Hardware compatibility Publisher".

I'll try to see if theres any update for it.

6. smood

Reputations:
    I have the newest VIA audio driver but tried to reinstall it and it had no effect. This is such a weird problem.

7. smood

Reputations:
    Can anyone help me? My winamp level somehow got turned down and now I cannot get it back up because of this problem.

8. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  9. smood

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply Josea. The link you posted has very basic stuff that I've gone through before and that has not resolved my issue.

However the event viewer is interesting. I never knew about this feature of windows before. Looking in it there are a lot of recorded errors, easily 100's if not 1000's. 1 specifically caught my interest

Is there some way to fix or further investigate this audiodg.exe and the dll file? I searched but couldn't find anything so far.

10. smood

Reputations:
    The other thing I was thinking is I guess I should be able to also solve this by buying an dedicated sound card? Although since this is might be a windows specific issue that might not work. If that would work I would be most willing to do that.. maybe pickup a Creative sound blaster audigy 7.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.