Windows 7 on Vaio Z - Procedure

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by cariparo, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are trying Windows file sharing over a VPN, yah? Almost all ISP's block RPC at their core, so you will need a tunnel to the device you want to share with.

The Steam problem is likely with your Windows firewall or some other security package. That should work fine.

2. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Most internet service providers drop packets to ports 138, 139 and 445. The reason is that these ports are almost universally used for hacking, due to the historical lack of decent security mechanisms for Windows file sharing.

And even for those who allow it, it's not always too useful, due to too high latencies, and a need to disable WINS resolution and instead use local LMHOSTS tables.

In other words, if you need to use Windows file sharing over the internet, you should establish a VPN connection.

3. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    Barely beat you to the punch, Arth1 although your reply is easier to understand :)

Ports 138, 139 and 445 are generally used for RPC and are indeed the bane of Windows Server admins existence everywhere. RPC is used for much more than file sharing, but it is a huge risk to present these ports to the interwebs.

Where I work, we universally block these ports on our core network devices along with some others like RDP.

4. Blank Xavier

Blank Xavier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows file sharing yes, over a VPN, no. Just over the internets. Works fine from my friends place, via his 802.11 and regular ISP.

No firewall. I haven't proved it and no reply from T-Mobile (Ben) yet, but I think the ports are blocked.

5. Blank Xavier

Reputations:
    Is this still true? Windows 7 encrypts and I've configured a local account to be required.

6. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    That's a home group and is made for a home network, but the issue with security remains.

From the help file:

You can safely trust your home setup if you are connected behind a router or wireless access point.

You should not trust any public networks, like the network your ISP assigns you to if you connect directly to your DSL, FIOS or cable modem.

A rule of thumb: don't trust the internet, trust private networks only. If you want to get fancy, these private networks are generally part of the RFC-1918 specification and are 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x

7. Blank Xavier

Reputations:
    No - I'm not using home groups; I don't have one set up. The encryption/public folder sharing is configured in network profiles. There is a network profile for 'public' - the internets.

Exactly; because the public network is not trusted, encrypt and account required and don't publish the list of shared folders.

8. Cherry0407

Cherry0407 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a Vaio Z VCPZ122GX, I opened it and started it up, it started up on Windows XP. Do you know why? Or how I can upgrade to Windows 7, I have the serial underneath my laptop. I feel so stupid. :confused:

9. medwes

medwes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hi i perchased a vaio z1290 cto (i7 620, 1920x1080, 128ssd, 4gb ram...) with win 7 home because i already have a win 7 ultimate but can we use the drivers coming with the z12ahx/qx posed at sony support since they are made for win 7 ultimate, since thy have the same components ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.