1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Windows 7 on Latitude E6400

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by GoodBytes, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am trying Windows 7 on my Latitude E6400, and I am having two a little issue for the system.

First issue is despite enabling advance performance for the drive under Device manager, Windows 7 gives me score or 2.0, than in Vista the score is significantly higher in the 5.0 range. My HDD is the Hitachi 5400RPM 160GB.

Second issue is, I don't know what I missed when installing the drivers/software, but I don't have the on-screen volume control. But the ambient light sensor, brightness level and keyboard backlit mode, does appear.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. SpeedyMods

SpeedyMods Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the same issue with the Dell ControlPoint. I'm going to try running it in compatibility mode for Vista.

You likely did not install the SATA drivers. That would explain you hard drive score. Download the 8.7 drivers, not the application. It is the Intel Matrix Storage Driver.

You need to go to the device manager and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, open up the first one and update the driver. Tell Windows to look at the location where you extracted the downloaded driver.

Now, my SD card reader doesn't work, does yours?

Greg

3. Anvil

Anvil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    W7 WEI score has changed fram 5.9 to 7.9

My scores are:
    Processor 6.4
    Memory 5.9
    Graphics 4.1
    Gaming graphics 4.9
    Primary HDD 5.7

Did you check device manager for missing drivers?
    I had a few I needed to update manually form the DELL\Drivers folder.

In what mode is the disk controller running AHCI/IRRT?

Regarding the on-screen stuff I haven't installed any of the Dell DCP programs and I probably won't (at least until they release W7 compatible drivers/programs) as it's working perfectly without them, so I can't help you with that.

@SpeedyMods
    The SD card reader is working just fine on my system.

4. SpeedyMods

SpeedyMods Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm. Did you install the driver manually, or was it automatic.

Greg

5. Anvil

Anvil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I might have installed the Ricoh SD/MMC Host controller manually as it is a Ricoh driver and not the default MS one.
    You'll find the entry under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the device manager.

There is also a MS entry for a SDA Standard compliant SD Host Controller under SD Host adapters.

IIRC I had 3 or 4 devices that needed manual attention, one of them being the Mobile Broadband adapter.
    So, listed in my Programs and features are the following Dell related progs.
    - Dell security Device Driver Pack
    - Dell Wireless Broadband Package
    - Dell Touchpad

I still havent installed the BT driver but you can using compatibility mode.

edit:
    There are also entries for
    - Integrated Webcam Driver.
    - Windows Driver Pack - Dell Inc. PBADRV System.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    ok so I installed the Intel SATA drivers manually from Dell website, and they were already installed. I still installed them and after reboot, and performed the Windows Experience Index assessment I sget the same 2.0.

Because I have an external HDD using eSATA, I set my system to be AHCI.

7. wasabah

wasabah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have the Intel or the Nvidia graphics card? Which driver have you installed?

8. Anvil

Anvil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @GoodBytes
    Mine is IRRT and I also use an external eSata drive.
    I don't know if AHCI/IRRT makes any difference but I'm fairly sure that W7 installed the driver. I did not install IMSM.

I'm going to install Windows Server 2008 R2 later tonight and I'll write down what ever I need to do. (Server 2008 R2 is very closely related to W7 so it should have the same drivers)

@wasabah
    I have the Intel GMA (as in my signature)

9. wasabah

wasabah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't install IMSM either, but the Intel IRRT driver is installed, so it has to be W7.

I got the Nvidia card and only get a score of 3.4 for the Aero Desktop performance. I'm a bit confused about that. (I deactivated the PowerMizer, too.)

10. Anvil

Anvil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Strange indeed that the score is inferior to mine.

Do you remember the score in Vista?

@GoodBytes
    Could you try HDTach, it might just be that WinSAT isn't working in your case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.