Windows 7 installation help for Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Atom Ant, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, especially for steberg who provided the latest modded Intel IGP driver which works solid and stable. Windows 7 is great, especially after Windows 10...

hmscott and steberg like this.
  2. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Newbie

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    I adjusted the guide with adding PCIe/NVMe drivers and integrating Simplix Pack into the Windows 7 image. It is useful, because Windows 7 with Samsung EVO 960 PCIe SSD is awesome, blazing fast!

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. rhinoceros

rhinoceros Newbie

Reputations:
  5. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. dcg1k

dcg1k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello steberg, I'm also interested in your modded inf file. Can you send me PM plz?
    thanks a lot!

7. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    You can read now straight at the Intel's communities how to make Win7 driver. This also means some smart guy showing the trick directly to Intel. I Hope for Coffee Lake we can figure out a different trick to install drivers...

hmscott and steberg like this.
  8. dataworx

dataworx Newbie

Reputations:
    I was linked to this guide since I am trying to install Win 7 64 bit on a HP Pavilion, with 7th Gen. Intel Kaby Lake I3-7100U processor, preinstalled with Win 10.

I had a problem installing via USB (device drivers missing story) so I installed as a dual boot via DVD to a new partition. The install went fine, apart from the system complaining that 'Partitions on the disk are not in the recommended order'.

I have since installed Wi-Fi, graphics and chipset drivers (chipset I did after Wi-Fi and graphics, because I couldn't find them at first). I am now stuck, with non-working USB ports and Bluetooth. Going through this guide, I see the recommendation to slipstream Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility in the USB install.

Looks like I did a few things in the wrong order (ie chipset first, not last), so I'm happy to redo the installation. Can one of the guys here explain how I should prep the DVD install to ensure functional USB ports, or is it only going to work with a USB install? And finally, how am I going to get Bluetooth going - I installed drivers from the Intel site but there is no sign anywhere of the Bluetooth device.

Edit: after further reading and now understanding the process better, it appears that I can slipstream the Intel USB driver utility with the Win 7 install USB (since I will install from within Win 10) as a dual boot. Is my understanding of this correct? If so, my only problem seems to be the BT driver - it seems that is allied somehow to the Wi-Fi driver but I haven't yet figured that out.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Yes, you must slipstream USB 3.0 drivers into the installation media. I recommend to use pendrive, because slipstream to DVD is more difficult. Also if you want to use Win 7 and Win 10 in separate partitions, it would be wiser first install Win 7 than 10.
    With Bluetooth driver I also struggled once, but figured out first I need to install the correct Wireless driver, than the bluetooth. Actually I just checked my device manager and I see I have the standard Microsoft bluetooth emulator installed, so might the solution was not to install any bluetooth driver.

Attached Files:

10. dataworx

dataworx Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input Atom Ant - I was hoping you'd pick this post up.

I have Win 10 already installed, so I'd prefer to just add Win 7, unless that is likely to create a problem (is this the cause of the message 'Partitions on the disk are not in the recommended order' when I first tried it?).

The link you have given is to a wireless driver different to what I initially installed (I used v19.60.0 PROSet64 Win 7), so hopefully this is where I went wrong with Bluetooth.

I'll have a chance to try this install tomorrow, once I've prepped the USB. I'll let you know what happens.