Windows 7 installation help for Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Atom Ant, Apr 13, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's an awesome little utility. I had a W7 Ultimate ISO on my NAS drive and was able to use that with your program, along with the Windows 7 USB media creation tool to get a fully functional boot disk. The entire process, including USB creation, took about an hour applying your updates only to the Ultimate version and using a Crucial MX 300 SSD. For S&G I tried it on my Kaby Lake laptop, and it worked flawlessly. The only drivers needed, aside from peripherals, were for the Killer Ethernet controller, Intel MEI, and GPU. It even activated fine with an old key I had.

I haven't used W7 in ages, and getting back in tune with it, after having used Windows 8 and 10 since their respective launches, made me realize what a phenomenal operating system it was. Yes, at its most fundamental level, the cores of Windows 8 and 10 have advantages, but from a style and usability standpoint, I don't think we will ever see something like W7 from Microsoft ever again.

2. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you really want to make it seamless, you could inject the .INF driver files - https://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/killer-drivers-inf - into the installation media's driver store, and then it should have Internet during install.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking
    *-*-*Check out this review on the Killer Wireless 1535!*-*-*

Raiderman, steberg and Spartan like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's strange because the Killer 1535 Wi-Fi works out of the box with that program. It's the Ethernet that wasn't detected. I would be installing the control center package anyway, so not having the Ethernet driver immediately available isn't a big deal.

4. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I havent been able to use this tool, as it errors for some reason during the last phase of driver installs. I would love to be able to use it to create a completely updated ISO. I am using an original, clean ISO of Windows 7 Sp 1 also. Maybe someone could shed some light for me.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I got the iGPU driver installed fine. Not because I wanted to, but because I bricked the 1080 Ti playing with a non-standard vBIOS and needed to use it for a bit while I corrected that issue. As soon as that was fixed, I disabled the iGPU again. If memory serves me correctly, I got the W7 driver from ASUS on my mobo support page, but I'm not certain. It was that or one that I found on Stations Drivers web site. I saved them both in case I ever need to use it again.

Atom Ant likes this.
  6. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What purpose would an IGP serve on a desktop? none.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Flashing a bricked discrete GPU. Or, being able to use the desktop temporarily while you are replacing or modding the discrete GPU. Other than that, pretty much nada. Intel iGFX es mierda. My personal preference would be that all of the K and X CPUs not even include an integrated graphics chip. The HEDT processors do not have it. Just a waste of silicon when you can use the space for something better.

alexhawker and Raiderman like this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or use another card :) I figured thats why you disabled it anyway/

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did you buy another 1080 GTX card?

10. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a couple cards to use if I bricked my 1080. But yes, I have a 1080ti coming.

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.