Windows 7 installation help for Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Atom Ant, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Nice informations from you Atak_Snajpera. I was asking, because i worry if i am going to have IGP driver for Coffe Lake IGP or not... But that is good sign!
    Try touchpad driver from the one older model of that Asus laptop. Like I'm using the Inspiron 7559 touchpad driver for my Inspiron 5577.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Damn, I thought that is Coffe Lake. Why did they do that? Good i didn't purchase for testings.
    I read that too, but if the hardware ID entirely missing from the inf file that we used to mod? Intel for these new CPUs now making drivers which only installs for Win10.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a multiboot system on my old laptop that used GRUB2 boot manager to launch all the OS's (Windows 7 x64 + Windows 7 x86 + multiple Linux distros). It looks like that could be an option with GPT/UEFI and maybe a chainload if necessary? I think my old system was still on MBR/Legacy though, so my experience was much simpler at the time.

I am getting ready to attempt my Windows 7 install on my Dell 7577 hopefully tomorrow. I gathered all the necessary files tonight while reading through your guide so I am (hopefully) thoroughly prepared for any mishaps.

If I get Win7 up and running I hope installing Ubuntu won't wreck my setup. I hope to use GRUB2 as my bootloader because I enjoyed it so much with my last multiboot setup.

USEFUL LINKS:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/808156/triple-boot-windows-10-ubuntu-16-04-os-x-10-11

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. Maleko48

Reputations:
    If I left out the /ie11 flag in the integration step for the Simplix pack do I need to repeat the entire process over again? Or is there a way I can add just the necessary ie11 stuff on top of my already-integrated install.wim file? Do we even need the ie11 trash? I NEVER use internet explorer and always go straight to chrome.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Atak_Snajpera

Reputations:
    I've updated my tool (Windows 7 image updater) with some additional drivers
    Full list of drivers in package
    Code:
    Alcor Micro Smart Card Reader
    Alcor Micro USB Card Reader
    Alpine Ridge USB
    AMD Chipset
    AMD GPU
    Asmedia USB
    Atheros Bluetooth
    Atheros Wireless
    Broadcom Wireless
    Genesys Card Reader
    Intel AHCI
    Intel Camera
    Intel Chipset
    Intel DPTF
    Intel GPU
    Intel IO
    Intel LAN
    Intel MEI
    Intel NVMe
    Intel USB
    Intel Wireless
    OCZ Toshiba NVMe
    Plextor NVMe
    Realtek Audio
    Realtek Bluetooth
    Realtek Camera
    Realtek Card Reader
    Realtek LAN
    Realtek Wireless
    Samsung NVMe

Atom Ant, Raiderman, steberg and 2 others like this.
  7. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    Hello, I was on Holiday in the last two weeks. Did you managed the Win 7 installation? When you do the Simplix pack integration, there is a different command to skip the ie11, but on older ie is anyway there, so i think it is good to update to the newest.

8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    So I understand the entire process pretty well now and managed to package what was supposed to be a modified Win7Ultimate-onlyx64_ISO. I included all the drivers and then some. However I've been trading off between having the missing drivers preventing install altogether at the very beginning and the drivers being in place but running into a different error part way through the installation process. Forgot what it said exactly.

The entire image modifying and building process is very time consuming on my old laptop especially. I may just try making the changes using DISM commands directly since using some of the tools in sequence seems to screw up things. I also had Rufus fail to create a bootable disk on what should have been the fully patched final ISO ready to go.

I've been using the /ie11 and /Optimize flags and setting a custom temp directory when applying Simplix's pack. Using NTLite and/or Gigabytes WIU Tool to add USB drivers (which I thought Simplix's pack did). Had luck with Gigabytes newest version. I'm currently browsing my Windows 10 drivers so I can try to extract a few in particular to try adding to the image build.

Still have more workflows to try, but herb is recreational now and school hasn't started again yet so...:D

9. Atak_Snajpera

Reputations:
    This won't work because .inf files may not have sections for NT6.1. Windows 7 will basically ignore those drivers.

10. Atom Ant

Reputations:
    So what actually all these means? Like I won't even need to insatll IGP or chipset driver on my freshly installed windows 7?
    Have you seen anyone yet running Windows 7 on Coffe Lake?