Windows 7 installation help for Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake laptops

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Atom Ant, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    This guide is for those who doesn't like their new laptop with Windows 10 shipped and would rather use the good old Windows 7. There are more reasons to do that, for me mostly the ugly alloy of 10! In my opinion the 22 years old Windows 95 had better look. For example, check out the control panel in Windows 95;

[​IMG]

Now look in Windows 10;

[​IMG]
    Damn… it is unbelievable, or? Not just looks better the ancient Windows 95, but also easier to get to the right place...! Furthermore, others are concerned about privacy, telemetry, adware, forced updates, windows store, the must use of apps, lack of usable start menu and more. Unfortunately, these are quite real problems, which makes many of us frustrated! So either you tweak your 10 to make it more like 7 or wipe your hdd and put 7. I say doesn't matter how many tweaks you do with 10, it won't be like 7. Perhaps it is also easier to do a clean Windows 7 installation than do carefully all those modifications.

However, if you try to install Windows 7 for a recent laptop, you probably facing problem with “Load Driver & Missing CD/DVD drive device driver” right after the start;

[​IMG]
    It is actually an USB 3.0 driver issue
    I’ll explain how easy is to overcome of this unwelcome problem. Tested with Dell Inspiron 7559 with 6th Gen. Intel Skylake I7-6700HQ CPU and with Lenovo Ideapad 310 with 7th Gen. Intel Kaby Lake I3-7100U processor.

First step;

Before installation check your system components in Windows 10's device manager. Most importantly you will need the name of your wireless network adapter, then check your display adapter and chipset.

[​IMG]
    Search and find Windows 7 drivers for these hardware, for example at Intel.com, AMD.com, Nvidia.com or at your laptop’s manufacturer website.​

My Dell Inspiron 7559 most importantly needs the following Windows 7 drivers;

- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 from Intel’s website,

- Intel Chipset driver from Intel’s website,

- Intel HD Graphics 530 from Intel’s website,

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M from Nvidia’s website,

Or

My Lenovo Ideapad 310 needs these Windows 7 drivers;

- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 from Intel’s website,

- Intel Chipset driver from Intel’s website,

- Intel HD Graphics 620 from Here! The driver from Intel's website will not install!

Second Step:

Create your Windows 7 installation media with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. You need to burn the media to a Pendrive.

1. Download the latest Simplix Pack
    2. Integrate Simplix Pack into install.wim with the following command:
    UpdatePack7R2.exe /ie11 /WimFile=C:\install.wim /Index=4
    (or Index 1,2,3,4.. For example Ultimate is Index 4) (Correct also the location of your install.wim)
    To check Index numbers exactly, use this command:
    Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:DVDDRIVELETTER:\sources\install.wim

This way you will not need to install any Windows updates!

Like if you have a Samsung 960 Evo PCIe/NVMe SSD, you will also need to integrate NVMe drivers into your installation media..
    1. Download the necessary NVMe Driver,
    2. Integrate with Embedded Utility Windows Image Tool or if that cannot complete the job use NTLite. (Note with these tools you can also integrate the necessary USB 3.0 drivers and skip the next step).

Download Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility. Unzip all to a location, then run “Installer_Creator.exe”and give the location of your Windows 7 pendrive.

[​IMG]
    After more minutes of work, it will say “update finished”! It means you done this simply process right and you are almost good to go to Install Windows 7! Just disable Secure boot and enable Legacy instead of UEFI in your laptop's bios. If you are having trouble to enter the bios google how to do on your laptop. Like in my Dell i had to press F12 after power-up, on my Lenovo I had press a little button on the left side near the USB connector.
    After the correct settings, boot from your Pendrive and you will be pleased to see you are able to install Windows 7!

[​IMG]
    Earlier you could not reach this screen​

Third Part:
    Windows 7 installation is complete, now Install the earlier downloaded drivers in the following order; Intel Chipset --> Intel IGP --> 2nd GPU if you have --> WIFI adapter --> Other drivers.

Good working Windows 7 on both laptops:

[​IMG]
    Windows 7 and Skylake

[​IMG]
    Windows 7 and Kaby Lake
    Forth Step:
    (Install windows updates) and your programs. I recommend to follow the guide here, otherwise you might install an unwanted update! Especially is true if you have Kaby Lake, so take extra attention what updates you install.

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    Shawn, Raiderman, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  2. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Atom Ant likes this.
  3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Awesome! I would love to get your recently modded driver. Or if you could share how to do it? It will be even more needed for next generations Intel CPUs...

4. steberg

Reputations:
    Sure, working nightshift, but tomorrow I'll send the .inf file. I have written comments inside the file what I change so I can remeber till next time. But so far I modded 2 version of HD drivers and they work fine. Hope Intel doesn't find out, or they may stop it...

Atom Ant and JKnows like this.
  5. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The much anticipated guide. Thanks you made it! I remember it was problem to me as well how to install 7. it is still the best Windows yet!

steberg and toughasnails like this.
  6. steberg

Reputations:
    PM sent, just copy the file over the old .inf file. This is for DriverVer=03/09/2017,21.20.16.4627

Atom Ant likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    +rep
    Keep up the fight against the Redmond Morons:vbthumbsup:

Vasudev, Raiderman and Atom Ant like this.
  8. steberg

Reputations:
    Just installed the latest simplix update pack 17.4.15 and it works fine, no nag about unsupported processor. I think it installed 7 security updates, so it seems we can still use windows 7 security updates on our Kaby Lake's even after micro$oft decision to end support for Kaby and Ryzen last month.

Raiderman likes this.
  9. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunate people believes they've to use their new hardware with that crapware virus. Fortunately Windows 7 still working, everything more pleasant immediately as installed.

Papusan and steberg like this.
  10. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just ordered my new Dell Inspiron 15 5577 gaming laptop, so excited how Windows 7 will handle it :D.