***Windows 7 general discussion***

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I second this, this is how i've learnt (and still learning), there's no better way than learning by your mistakes.

I think, if your dual booting, the beta would be a great place to learn, as it won't be the main os, it's not so bad if everything screwed up, so long as all personal data is stored in a different place and backed up.

2. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, but to the 32 bit key instead of the 64 bit key. On my link it says...
    "Windows 7 Beta 32-bit Product Key" instead of "Windows 7 Beta 64-bit Product Key."

3. sefk

sefk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah but we are not talking about trying a beta of a browser or a media player, we are talking about a beta of an OS. Even if, theoretically, Windows 7 beta is pretty stable, there is still some level of risk related to it. It can break your music files or even cause trouble to your hardware.

If he want to learn, then he should start with something less risky, like installing a stable OS first(eg linux). Don't do a marathon if you can't walk.

4. purplegreendave

purplegreendave Has a notebook.

Reputations:
    CassilineKnight, if you make a post here confirming you understand the implications installing a Beta OS, then I have no problems helping you.
    I myself plan on installing it on an external harddrive, as I am afraid of losing my Vista setup (even though it's all backed up).

Side note: 2hr 30minute download stopped with 20minutes to go - WHY???

EDIT: CassilineKnight, you already did :p
    I can't remember what the specific questions you had were, can you post them again/pm me?

5. Capella1

Capella1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And once installed you are not done. There are drivers and software to install to make it work with your system, configuration settings to make, etc.

I've had it up and running on my 3 month old notebook since late last night and it is not 100% yet. Still need to find fingerprint reader software and some specific stuff from HP to make it as seemless as my Vista install - and I'm not sure everything is compatable at this point.

What I can say right now is that daily W7 functionality is not there yet for my system. Gadgets drop out randomly, slow to boot so far, and much to do in the way of loading applications. Nope, not ready to make this my primary OS by a long shot - but maybe after much work. So be warned if you are new to Beta's - it will not set up itself and may not do everything right now due to lack of supported equipment drivers

6. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I kept on getting “We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found” error, but after trying like 10 times I finally managed to get a key. Thanks ! :D

7. sefk

sefk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, personally, I think that a pretty harmless way to test a beta-OS is by using a virtual machine.

8. Captain Fail

Captain Fail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The point is, you shouldn't be learning on BETA software, you should be using your knowledge and experience to evaluate it, which you don't have.

You are effectivly asking us to teach you how to use the advanced parts of a computer. Modifying the BIOS is pretty basic stuff.

The problem is, and this isn't any form of abuse, it's a fact that's designed to help you, that you WILL encounter problems with the beta. In those circumstances you'll be asking for help etc.. and you will have absolutely no idea whether you've found a bug, or you're doing something wrong.

I respect you for wanting to learn more about computers, and to do that you should be using a fully supported stable OS. Only then will you learn exactly how things SHOULD work, and therefore the difference between a bug and something you're doing wrong.

Seriously, the BETA is a totally unsupported unfinished platform. It's designed for knowledgeable users who can both provide feedback and evaluate. People who don't know what they are doing should stay well clear.

Learn more about computers based on a finished and supported OS, and come back for the Windows 8 beta. You'll understand what we're all saying then :)

9. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks captain fail worked on first try.

Installed on Test Machine and windows & Beta is faster than Vista at booting and Webbrowsing and several other tasks like Playing Command and Conquer Generals and loading tons of video thumbnails.

Test Machine 7 year old

Intel Celeron 2.6ghz 128kb cache 400mhz FSB
    1GB DDR RAM
    ATI 9250 PCI Graphics 128MB RAM (old PCI not PCIx)
    120GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache SEagate HDD IDE 100

Its an old PC worth sacrificing but this bore un expected fruit its running better than a Vista machine.

10. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    i will help if you need it.. just lmk..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.