***Windows 7 general discussion***

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jayayess1190, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRaptor

KingRaptor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Calm down there. What we want you to know is that Beta is not 100% stable/ready software. It's not like booting XP with Vista where people have done it countless times before. For Win7 Beta, you need to be prepared for more than just knowing how to dual boot and things; you need to be prepared for software not acting like the way its supposed to, not performing the functions you tell it to do, and not responding and completely crashing your computer.

Granted...Win7 Beta probably wont do that but you still need to be prepared to deal with all that because this is primarily a testing session not a practice session. Unpredictable things may happen.

2. Phritz

Phritz Space Artist

Reputations:
    Why did I not get any problems downloading Windows 7?

I'm on the other side of the pacific, connected to mainland Asia by puny cables to Taiwan and Singapore with a 4Mbs DSL connection and downloaded Windows 7 over a period of around 18 hours capped at 75kbs to allow other downloads I have running too...

This was all in Opera btw. Plus I started the dl at the peak of the server hiatus, around 1-2pm East Coast US time

3. zfactor

zfactor Mastershake

Reputations:
    seems the ms download links are down??

4. Captain Fail

Captain Fail Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed. Beta software is by definition not ready for the prime time, and contains numerous errors and bugs that you either have to work through, or may be showstoppers entirelly. MS has clearly stated that you are on your own with this release, and that no support will be provided.

As such, if you don't even know how to alter your bios's boot order, then you are VERY unlikely to have the technical knowledge necessary to be able to work your way through the inevitable problems you'll face using the beta, and you therefore shouldn't go anywhere near Windows 7 Beta.

Seriously, a beta OS isn't the best thing for you to be learning how computers work on :(

5. grbac

grbac Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But he could still try and learn how to do it and we could help him. If he is not afraid to lose all data. Everyone had their first time.

6. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. Phritz

Phritz Space Artist

Reputations:
  8. KingRaptor

KingRaptor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I suppose so. I learned from playing around with XP so much... Good days, good days. :rolleyes:

9. Full-English

Full-English Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just had to reinstall win7, the beast gave up on me lol.

I think my problem may have been from mounting the iso within vista, and running setup from there. Basically, win7 wouldn't shutdown, windows explorer wouldn't let me access my computer, then it died, disk managment wouldn't open, then i created a new user account and all the styles were screwed, classic windows theme was implemented with no option to change to the default windows seven theme, so my style files were screwed, but all seems to be good again.

Has anyone else mounted the iso and setup this way, has it been successful????

10. grbac

grbac Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm DL, at 2% now. Again. lol. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.