Windows 7 Clean Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    @Matrix Leader @Mr. Fox
    I have a task in the task scheduler that is called Intel.
    INTEL TELEMETRY.
    INTEL TELEMETRY.png
    What the hell is this? Something that has come from XTU?

toughasnails and hmscott like this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Never seen this before, disable it!!!

hmscott likes this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Can not understand other than that Intel Telemetry 2 (x86) comes from XTU. @Mr. Fox might have the answer to this... Everyone want to monitor everything you do on your pc:D.
    Edit: @Matrix Leader
    Tablet PC Extras Windows 7
    Turn off Tablet PC extras
    [​IMG]
    In Services, find and double-click the Tablet PC Input Service. In the 'Startup type' drop-down menu, select Disabled, and then click OK.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Papusan - Newer versions of XTU have the "Customer Experience" feature. You see the opportunity to "opt out" when you launch it. Try disabling the Intel Telemetry task and if XTU still work correctly leave it disabled.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Spartan

Reputations:
    If you followed the guide which I spent 2 days working on, you will see that I actually uninstall the Tablet PC Components altogether!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papusan, ajkula66 and hmscott like this.
  6. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey fellas. I frequent the NBR Alienware forum & popped in here to lend some 7 advice to Alien owners. The fact is, I forgot this wasn't the Alien section when I typed this. Non-alien owners can bailout of my post? *shrug* I don't have a laptop, & my basset hound died so I don't have a lapdog either. What I do have are Alienware Win7 dvd's, Home Pro & Ultimate; when used on the original alienboard they install activated. My desktop with a home premium coa? No matter, I can & have tossed Pro or Ult on the hard drive, they all install activated, all three will. I'll continue to talk as if this is true for alien laptops using original reinstall media which I assume installs activated, correct me if I'm wrong. Once you have your install media, Matrix has created an epic wonder here for you to perform a clean install; when you're done, you may find another use for your 7dvd ...
    - Alien7Pro to W10Pro -​
    If I want to downgrade to Win10 Pro later on? I clean install 7Pro or Ult & my future downgrade will be to 10Pro, that's the free gateway out of the costly hell which is 10Home. True that. In the past these Alien7 dvd's could be bought from Dell for $10, but no longer, just a pricey usb-stick for $40, call Dell if you want one I suppose.

Many Alien owners were given basic Dell 7 reinstall media that won't activate without use of the outer COA label. Dell is Dell, they'll try to send you another basic Dell 7 dvd when u contact them - no ty - you'll want the Alienware Multi-Language 7sp1, preferably Pro or Ult.

You can find/buy these oem reinstall dvd's on eBay but the price has gone up in 2015 & you may have to play the waiting game for Pro/Ult to land (eBay 'Follow This Search' is a good way to be notified when Pro/Ult pop-up for sale).

This may be old news for most, but, it's a partial answer to the question over where to get 7 media that'll easily activate & may even split your license key 'in two'. In my instance, I clean installed 7Pro on an original mthrbrd, it installed activated & I went in & grabbed 10Pro which is also now activated. Note my Pro COA product key was never used & is still 'open'. If my info's wrong somewhere's tell me & I'll correct it. If I junked-up your monumental thread @matrix, say the word & I'll nuke-it w/the edit-function .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I've already read Your great Guide @Matrix Leader before I wrote the post :p. What I was referring to was from (Now comes the second part. In Services) You wrote about part 1(turn Windows features on or off;)) I know that it is the same theme LOL. http://www.pcworld.com/article/218323/speed_up_windows_by_stripping_it_down.html?page=2

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. Spartan

Reputations:
    On my Alienware 18, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, then made note of that new Win 10 Key and saved it then I formatted the laptop using the Alienware Windows 7 Pro disc I have. As you said, that disc will install on any Alienware system and be activated out of the box so we never miss the chance to downgrade :)

9. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    For those with manufacturer OEM installations of Windows 7 and wanted to do a stock clean install I would recommend backing up your activation status as doing so would mean losing the OEM certificate (the OEM product key on its own is not enough). For the time being you can call up Microsoft to activate the key again but given their focus on Windows 10 I'm not sure how long they will keep up on this.

Therefore I recommend using an activation backup app called "Advanced Tokens Manager" which is straightforward to use. Backup the tokens and save it on a USB Flash drive, then do the clean install after and leave the product key blank when installing. Once done, open up the app again and restore your tokens so your genuine activation should return. You can do this many times as you want without picking up the phone to Microsoft making it ideal for regular clean installers (or telephobic people).

Note: If you have 32 bit Windows 7 and wanted to upgrade the same edition in 64 bit this app will work by activating the same tokens!

Spartan likes this.
  10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1 member told me about way better way. Just create USB flash drive with Windows 7 installation and put there $OEM$ folder.
    DONE. THAT'S IT!

Windows will automatically activate itself if it finds your OEM certificate in BIOS.

P.S. yesterday I made clean Windows 7 install from official MSDN iso. It waited 10 minutes searcing for update and found an updated Updater. After downloading it it searched again for 20 minutes. Then it tried to install everything and got a BSOD. After that it took 3 times to reboot installing updates.
    I did that just to upgrade to Win10 and there is no way I gonna do it again ever on my notebook. Not from official MSDN iso. Custom builds with preinstalled updates FTW.

Spartan likes this.