1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Windows 7 Clean install Guide for Vaio FZ

Discussion in 'Sony' started by coolguy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had updated installation instructions for the Intel 965PM chipset driver, added Laptopvideo2go Nvidia 195.62 64-bit driver link.

2. MoodZy

MoodZy Newbie

Reputations:
    With me everything works except the S1 and the AV mode buttons...
    When I'm pressing the S1 button the program VESSchellExeProxy.exe appears very shortly in the task manager, but nothing really happens... (by the way in the control center there's nothing about the s-button)
    For the AV mode button it's different, I've something in the control center, but it's chinese or japanese... I unfortunately don't understand... :(
    But when I press the button nothing happens even after I've changed the values in the registry... It's really very strange... :-/

3. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You must install the Sony utilities in the order mentioned in my guide to get the S button functionality. Refer to the registry modifications in my guide to make use of the AV mode button.

4. MoodZy

MoodZy Newbie

Reputations:
    I followed your guide from the beginning to the end... And everything in the right order... (except the bluetooth and the webcam drivers because they didn't want to work (I found working ones for my webcam...) )
    Maybe it's a problem caused by the fact I've got a FZ38M and not a FZ190E ...

5. ShadowFast

ShadowFast Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing

6. UserofFZ21Z

UserofFZ21Z Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After doing a reinstall last night, I used this guide as a reference, although I didn't follow every step, but after installing the following, in this order, my FN keys now work.....
    ....however, when I did a clean install of Vista, I didn't install any of the above but could still adjust he brightness, but only with the original Sony-Vista driver, which is why I tell people it's never worked for me since that driver, just like my S-Video connection has never worked, unless I use that original driver. As you can see, I haven't installed Vaio Launcher, so I don't have a reg entry to edit my S1 and AV key, but that isn't a big issue.

I may even take the above off, as I've now got resources being used just in case I need to adjust the brightness, which I can do anyway using Win Key + X.

At least I know how to get them working now.

EDIT: I didn't use the drivers that are linked to in this guide, I got them from here...

- vaio-link.com/PUB/VAIO/WIN7UPGRADE/

Attached Files:

7. jcastill

jcastill Newbie

Reputations:
    I followed your guide and finished with an amazing copy of Windows 7 running flashing fast in my Vaio FZ190. Yet, I updated the registry to use a utility named "nircmd" to mute-unmute my laptop on the S1 button. Yet it didn't work. I've been playing around on having an application launch (for example notepad) and I've had unsuccessful results.

Could you please tell me an example of what to put in the registry as to be able to make the button work?

Thanks a lot for the guide, as it really helped me a lot!

Sincerely,

Jose

8. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    I can answer that as I just did it.

Create a shortcut with a name of ToggleMute and a target of

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Utilities\NirCmd\nircmd.exe" mutesysvolume 2
    You should change it, of course, to point to wherever you put the NirCmd.EXE. Then in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\Setting Utility Series\SButton\AppPath (for 64 bit user)

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Corporation\Setting Utility Series\SButton\AppPath (for 32 bit users)

Put the following:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Utilities\NirCmd\togglemute.lnk
    Again you might need to change the path to wherever you put the shortcut.

I tried putting the the application path and parameters in the AppPath key in the registry. But the parameters didn't get passed. Then after talking to Ramesh, he suggested the shortcut instead. And it worked great!

Gary

9. ziminator

ziminator Newbie

Reputations:
    great job, tks!

10. jcastill

jcastill Newbie

Reputations:

Wow it worked great. Thanks a lot for this tip!

11. no1uknow

no1uknow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When you add the "-overall" command to the Intel Chipset Driver 9.1.1.1025, does it update ALL drivers in Win7?

For me in my 32-bit install, it only updates the USB Controllers and the Ultra ATA Controller. It does not touch the other devices shown in the photos of device manager that you had before. I have the same exact devices that you have.

I end up having to use the "-a" command to extract the drivers, then manually update the remaining drivers. Is this recommended, or do you think I should leave these alone? Thank You.

12. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The overall parameter updates only the required devices, as other other chipset devices were already recognized by Windows 7. Intel drivers (manual update) just updates the strings, and there will be no real benefit of doing that. So you can leave the untouched devices as they are.

13. no1uknow

no1uknow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Makes sense, thanks for the quick reply.

14. blondewalker

blondewalker Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, following this guide, do you have Sigmatel HDMI 5.1 audio out in sound devices and can you also set it up as default device?

15. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use the driver in my guide. Also HDMI out in FZ doesn't support 5.1 channel sound, only 2.1.

16. JackieP

JackieP Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for guide, I finally fixed my SD memory card reader after much heartache. I can't get the webcam to work though with the Camera Capture. I tried what you said, using the Universal Extractor. When I tried to update the driver, Windows said that it already had the best driver. Should I delete the driver?

Then the SFEG... I couldn't find WHERE to put it. There was no longer an unknown driver, maybe it fixed itself. lol.

The S button still isn't working at all. It used to mute the volume on my computer. I had gotten the volume buttons to work before with the Utilities file.

I got an annoying popup when I put the Event Launcher on. My computer kept claiming that the battery was no connected properly, but I could run it on battery just fine. I finally found that the folder ISB was causing the issue, so I deleted it. Problem gone :).

17. blondewalker

blondewalker Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello coolguy!

2.1 would be also nice, but I cant use HDMI as default sound device even if HDMI cable is pluged in, the button "set default" (screenshot in attachment) stay gray all the time.

What do you think about this problem, mybe its nvidia's driver fault?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

18. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You might uninstall and then reinstall the IDT driver. Here's how it looks for me (see attached image).

Attached Files:

19. Zgolden

Zgolden Newbie

Reputations:
    coolguy,

I would have been lost without your helpful instructions for my Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit clean install. I have a Sony VGN-FZ340e, and I have gotten through most of the installation. I was starting to load external devices and software, and noticed that I couldn't see my external hard drive (the one with all of my data on it, of course). I was able to see a USB thumb drive and save and transfer data, and I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard through a 7 port hub. At the very beginning of the upgrade, I noticed a yellow exclamation that mentioned Mass Storage, but since I am a rookie at computer rebuilding (who knew upgrading an OS could be this hard!) I didn't write down exactly what the error was.

My external hard drive is a Western Digital Home Edition Book and their site says that the drive should work with Windows 7 standard drivers. I looked on the Windows site, and other sites, and can't seem to find what driver to install. I currently don't see a yellow exclamation next to any of the USB drivers or the E/F external drives, but my hard drive definitely isn't being noticed by my computer. (I did check the connections, and power)

Please help, I've gotten this far with your awesome instructions!

20. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Zgolden, I have a WD My Passport Essential and it works fine with my FZ-190. Try disconnecting your external drive, restart your laptop, and reconnect your external Hard drive. The yellow exclamation mark you saw was for the memory controller/ card reader driver (see my guide). Is your drive powering up when you connect it into the USB port?