Windows 7 Clean install Guide for Vaio FZ

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by coolguy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, after a long while I have again complete access to my old VAIO FZ21M (my father was using it for the past 2 years until he got a new Dell Inspiron 15 5567) so I can test things and hopefully have a completely usable machine like it was in its first days of life :D

Starting from some good techie-things, I've successfully installed a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, which I can say that I wasn't even aware of and it's basically a stripped down version of Windows 10 (as I like!) without EVERY preinstalled Windows 10 universal apps (like even the Store) and without Edge. It's like having a "Windows 7 slimmed edition" but officially distributed and supported by Microsoft, designed (mostly obviously) for companies which don't want to have to upgrade every once and then, and have useful apps.

Apart from that intro, I want to say that after a slightly long search on the internet I have been able to install and configure almost all of the available drivers and apps for this Sony laptop (as stated in the first page) along with the working brightness & audio controls using the Fn keys!!! :cool: :)

To do this I have installed all the following updated software:
    - Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device v8.0.2.3 (this one was posted by @Gineon some posts ago)
    - Sony Setting Utility Series v5.3.0.07231 (https://mega.nz/#!pl01ERxb!syKhYmSGT1-o9cYi5uytb3B2xAoZzvm8fZiSAqpgp_8)
    - Sony Shared Library v5.7.0.06070, then v5.10.0.12150 and finally v6.3.0.05080 (https://mega.nz/#!l49HBALb!roTek-qSsvQpawkQYuW-EA1yoUKS579u3XG1dIuqCPk)
    - VAIO Event Service v5.3.0.05310 (https://mega.nz/#!NtlUAb4Y!Zy4lYxVbcHqDF6DNqkgm__VjjqEn0j9jhdsm05-1Y2M)
    I have to say that unfortunately I don't remember the correct order of these setups but it should be right.
    Furthermore I think you can skip Shared Library 5.10, so just install 5.7 and then 6.3.

After that I've also installed the updated version of VAIO Control Center v4.3.0.05310 (https://mega.nz/#!Ul0BgCIY!z0wPdzfLJ1toaToZ8LVzlKSaQCAZvxj23Pck5eskjPc) and, along with the "Special button VCC" instructions in the first post, I have also configured the S1 button to launch any app I want it to. Next I may try to install VAIO Launcher and get also the "AV Mode" button to work, will keep you updated.

That's it for now! I hope you can find this post helpful. ;)
    Note: take in mind that I have the latest Nvidia drivers 342.01 installed (which by the way Windows 10 installed and updated automatically), so I didn't even need to change any values to get the Fn keys working.
    --- I wan't able to install the Audio drivers posted here, so I'm sticking with the default Windows 10 audio drivers which they seem to be working just fine.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey there!
    I've tried to configure also the "AV Mode" button, installing VAIO Launcher, but I haven't been able to do so.

EDIT: I've replaced the old Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (clocked at 2Ghz with 2Mb Cache) for the T9300 (clocked at 2.5 Ghz with 6Mb Cache) and it's all working smoothly without any issues!

EDIT 2: I have also thought about buying a new wireless card because of the BSOD I was having since about an year (with the latest Intel 13.4.0.139 driver) and since the upgrade to Windows 10. But right now I've discovered that enabling JUST the 5Ghz band of the integrated Intel 4965 card I have no more blue screens and the network performance is awesome like it has always been.
    It's also quite notable to say that the Intel 4965agn wifi card is an actual "Full Mini PCIe" card and nowadays almost all of the new Intel wifi cards are at least "Half Mini PCIe", so it could be a problem for us , at least regarding the length of the 3 antennas (yea, also new cards have mostly 2 antennas). Just saying...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wow this thread is still alive!

Glad to know that the FZ is still in existence.

Nice job lperzampem0!

Iperzampem0 likes this.
  4. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You are welcome!

5. jsbrigo

jsbrigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please install the following in the order below:

1. Setting Utility Series
    2. Sony Shared Library