Windows 7 Clean install Guide for Vaio FZ

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by coolguy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. icaro72

icaro72 Newbie

Reputations:
    This works fine with 8600M GS on my VGN-FZ31Z and Windows 10. It seems a new laptop ahah!!

In 341.74 Drivers

Unpack with 7Zip

Open nv_dispi

copy this
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0425% = Section028, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425

in the lists:
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3]

copy this:
    NVIDIA_DEV.0425 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"

in the list:
    [Strings]
    DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

Be happy with your old laptop ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Iperzampem0 likes this.
  2. vaio-tv

vaio-tv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "
    This works fine with 8600M GS on my VGN-FZ31Z and Windows 10. It seems a new laptop ahah!!

In 341.74 Drivers

Unpack with 7Zip

Open

nv_dispi

copy this
    %NVIDIA_DEV.0425% = Section028, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425

in the lists:
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]
    [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3]

copy this:
    NVIDIA_DEV.0425 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS"

in the list:
    [Strings]
    DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

Be happy with your old laptop ;) "

It's one thing to have the driver installed, and another thing to have the driver properly installed & configured, for each laptop's model monitor, if you see what I mean....
    I can mod at least 5 .inf's, the driver will install BUT modding nvszci.inf will give you optimal results, for reasons I'm too bored to explain... ;)
    I used to mod with earlier driver versions nvszcn.inf BUT since 337.88 whql, Nvidia renamed that file to nvszci.inf, it has the same structure with a different name.

Cheers,

Iperzampem0, sonyfz440e and JayTii like this.
  3. sonyfz440e

sonyfz440e Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks you for the info.you are right.Installation already works with the default official releases.But for instance,hardware acceleration does not work.The last driver for windows 10 installed on windows 8.1 too.
    Could anyone please make a moded .inf file for Sony fz440e? (win x64)
    PS.Has anyone suffered any problems with windows 10?should I install it?currently on 8.1
    BR

4. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @sonyfz440e : it all seems to work fine!

Initially I had a problem with the Intel 4965 wireless card which at every Windows boot it was somewhat off and I had to troubleshoot for issues every time to get it working, but then I had the idea to go to Devices -> Wireless Cards -> Intel 4965AGN -> then on Properties you have to deactivate the Power Save Mode so the card can remain always on ;-)

Other than that it all seems to work fine, even though sometimes checking for Windows updates takes an infinite time and I don't even know right now if it's a problem or if Windows can update itself without me checking manually for updates. It was settled to search and install updates automatically but I don't know why, since 2-3 days, I can't have a simple "No updates available".. :)

sonyfz440e likes this.
  5. sonyfz440e

sonyfz440e Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have installed Windows 10 x64.Windows keeps installing Nvidia 341.74.But I realized that this has issues with hardware acceleration.As far as I know,CUDA support is discontinued after 337.88.Thats why even we can install later drivers,for some software,we will face troubles.

How can we mod an inf file so that windows see it as the best driver?Changing date or version number or what?I want to keep 337.88 and dont want windows install 341.74.

How can windows know a driver is the best?Is there anyway to trick windows?

6. coolguy

coolguy Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, I wouldn't updating this guide for Windows 10.
    I am no longer using my FZ. But I could help you with modifying the driver if you want.

Surprised to see this thread still alive!!!

jsbrigo likes this.
  7. jsbrigo

jsbrigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @vaio-tv
    could you please share mod file or explain how to modify the .inf correctly for 341.74 drivers
    and win7 64bit?

thanks

I tried 341.92 without modding... no way on my FZ31s in win 7 x64 :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Iperzampem0 likes this.
  8. jsbrigo

jsbrigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    341.74 vs 341.92

any clues?

I attached the modded inf of R341.92
    Still preliminary version; I'm testing it on win 7 x64 and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

If you know how to use feel free to post a feedback

;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. Beetle Juice

Beetle Juice Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Vaio FZ31S and I finally figured out how to install the Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS driver (341.92) after I did a clean install of Windows 10.

Steps:
    1. Go to the Device Manager in the Control Panel. Click on the "Display Adapter" and double-click on the Nvidia driver (this could be the original Vista / XP drivers previously installed).
    2. Go to the "Details" tab and select the "Matching Device Id" property. You will see the "Value" which is the driver ID. Save this in Notepad or somewhere else as you will need this for later.
    3. Install the Nvidia Driver until you receive the error: "Nvidia graphics driver can not find compatible graphics hardware". This is perfectly fine as will install the following files in:C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver.
    4. Go to the following folder: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.92\Win8_WinVista_Win7\International\Display.Driver. Here you will find a file called: nvszci.inf
    5. You will need to copy the following the line:%NVIDIA_DEV.0425.02% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_9005104D (if you are installing a different Graphics card driver then replace the "Dev.0425"/"Dev_0425", "9005.104D" (note the period between)/"SUBSYS_9005104D" and "VEN_10DE" with the relevant values from the previous value you saved in Notepad (the "Matching Device Id" property from the Device Manager).
    6. The line needs to be added in the under the following headings:
      1. [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.0]
      2. [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.1]
      3. [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.2]
      4. [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.3]
    7. Finally, you will need to scroll to the bottom of the nvszci.inf fileand find (or ctrl-F and search for:) "[Strings]"
    8. You will need to add the following line: "NVIDIA_DEV.0425.02 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS "" - again if you have a different Graphics card driver change it what you previously added in (from the Matching Device Id etc.).
    9. Go to the folder: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.92\Win8_WinVista_Win7\International. Now right click on "setup.exe" and click on: "Run as administrator"
    This should now work :). Good luck!!

10. Beetle Juice

Beetle Juice Newbie

Reputations: