Windows 7 Clean install Guide for Vaio FZ

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by coolguy, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsbrigo

jsbrigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    try this one

2. JayTii

JayTii Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the file causes a bluescreen. Your fileheader says it''s for 331.65 anyway. I guess I just have to stay at 331.65. But thanks for your effort.

Edit: I am using a 64-Bit Version of Windows. Is your inf for the 32bit driver version or 64-bit?

UPDATE: I was able to mod the inf by myself after finding a newer tutorial. Actually it was quite simple. Now I'm running my 9600M GT and 341.44 smoothly together.

The installation of Windows 10 was working slowly, but it installed succesfully. Unfortunately there was no way to install the driver modding the inf or trying the latest Nvidia driver so I had to switch back to Windows 7. I guess we won't have Windows 10 for old GPUs until there is a proper workaround.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Iperzampem0 likes this.
  3. Barawagon

Barawagon Newbie

Reputations:
    Someone can help me with geForce 8600M GS and Windows10?

4. jsbrigo

jsbrigo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry wrong file :p

this one should work!

Attached Files:

Iperzampem0 likes this.
  5. vaio-tv

vaio-tv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nvidia drivers in W 10 should be installed in Safe Mode where driver signature enforcement is disabled. (Same for W 8.1, see the first page of this thread).
    Try the latest 341.74 from Nvidia with modded inf. it should work...

JayTii likes this.
  6. trfc0

trfc0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings ppl.

Can someone help me with modded nv_dispwi of the GeForce Windows 10 Driver 341.74 for my Vaio CW (VPCCW15FL) (Nvidia 230M GT)

It will be amazing

thanks so much

PS: thanks coolguy

7. capfuturo

capfuturo Newbie

Reputations:
    @coolguy Would be including a guide to Windows 10 update? Are you up to the challenge? I have updated my Vaio VGN-FZ21E but I am having random dead-end freezes and some issues with unresponsive task-bar, all ending up in having to restart the OS.

EDIT: Due to the annoying automatic updates in Windows 10, I had latest Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT driver v 341.74 downloaded from Microsoft and installed! This is something Microsoft shouldn't be doing and will bring a lot of trouble for many people. I had to mod, uninstall Microsoft version and quickly install the modded version of the same driver downloaded from Nvidia website to prevent Windows 10 to download and install it again. I chose to leave out the 3D Graphics and GeForce Experience (8400M GT doesn't support Shield Games, etc). It is working like a char, stable and the problems with the taskbar and system freezes have gone.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @JayTii could you please share with me the tutorial? I'm not practical anymore with this.. :)
    By the way the nv_dispwi.inf file must go into the Display.Driver folder of the extracted Nvidia update? I'm asking it because there isn't a similar one, just the nvdisp.inf file. Thanks!

9. JayTii

JayTii Newbie

Reputations:
    @Iperzampem0 It is indeed the nvdisp.inf file that must be edited. I simply followed this tutorial: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

It worked well for me, If you have any questions feel free to ask, even though I'm not an expert.

EDIT:

I finally managed to install Windows 10 and everything is working fine. Below I list the steps for people who might not know how to install Windows 10 on their "unsupported" device.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool: 32-bit / 64-bit
    2. Download the latest driver to fit your Graphics Card from Nvidia. It will probably be 341.74
    3. Try to install it - the installer extracts the files to C:\Nvidia . Either it will work, then you are fine, or you will get an error message. Then follow step 4.
    4. Mod the driver according to this tutorial. If there is no Win 10 section, put the device string in Win 8.1 section.
    5. As stated in the tutorial, reboot the computer with disabled Driver Signature Enforcement.
    6. Restart the driver installation by executing setup.exe in the Nvidia Folder.

7. If everything looks sharp after the installation succeeded but way too big, make sure that under settings -> system -> display the text, app size etc. is set to 100%.

I hope I could help some people here, even though most of you probably knew it already. These are just the steps I went through to upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Iperzampem0 likes this.
  10. vaio-tv

vaio-tv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The correct file to mod is nvszci.inf, try to modify others if you wish, but at your own risk... again, nvszci.inf is the file to be modified, I have a VGN-AW41ZF and the correct section to apply is 25 for NT 6.0 Vista, 26 for NT 6.1 Win7, 27 for 6.2 Win 8 & section 28 for NT 6.3 Win 8.1. (section corresponding to FAEIDS_78 addreg which is the best for AW series monitors).
    In fact, 341.74 is not a real Win 10 driver cause Win 10 is NT 10.0 and there is nothing inside this driver for Win 10.
    You can go to Nvidia setup.exe right click & select "Troubleshoot compatibility" and Win 10 will automatically report "incompatible driver".
    Let me know if you need more info/help.

Iperzampem0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.