Windows 7 Clean install Guide for Vaio FZ

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by coolguy, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonyfz440e

sonyfz440e Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.
    Just wondering,why NVidia v310.70's modified inf is still not available for vaio fz series? Is there something wrong with the driver?
    thanks in advance

2. sonyfz440e

sonyfz440e Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to say that but it is said that this nvidia 310.70 version does not support brightness control for fz440e even if you modify the inf file.It may support in version 313 which may release in the following days.

3. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How did you know that the next update will support brightness for our VAIOs?

4. sonyfz440e

sonyfz440e Newbie

Reputations:
    According to Nvidia moderator in this link:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/525087/brightness-problem-/?offset=9

5. spyfly

spyfly Newbie

Reputations:
  6. arg0

arg0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this great guide. Just installed Windows 8 on my over 5-years old Vaio FZ21M.

About the touchpad driver, I installed an updated version of the Alps TouchPad driver (v 8.100.2020.112) and it works perfectly. It even includes support for EdgeAction, that is Windows 8 swipe-in gestures (for displaying the charm bar or app switching). So I suggest to use this one, instead of v.7.
    You can get the driver here: TouchPad_ALPS_8.100.2020.112_W8x64U_A.zip.
    Just unzip and run setup.exe. If you have drivers v.7 installed, it may help to uninstall the drivers and associated tools from Control Panel.

Note that if your touchpad is recessed in the case, you still need to swipe from the outside of the touchpad across the bevel, and not starting from the edge of the touchpad.

7. arg0

arg0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Regarding the Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 key shortcuts for controlling display brightness, I just realised that on my Vaio FZ21M with GeForce 8400M GT, these keys actually work if I use the nVidia Graphics Drivers v.7.15.11.6760 that were officially provided by Sony for Windows Vista. For my laptop, I downloaded them from here and was able to run the .exe directly, but I suppose they could work on other Vaio laptops as well if you use the uniextract trick.

I previously tried more recent drivers, such as version 306.97 (modded as suggested in the first post), but, as reported by many other users, the Fn+F5/F6 keys were not working. In my case, I got the Sony overlay, same as for the volume keys, but the value would not change.

PS: If anyone wonders why I downgraded the display drivers, I am trying to play back Blu-Rays. Since I could not update the AACS key with InterVideo WinDVD (which was officially preinstalled on my Vaio), I launched the latest update, which upgraded it to Corel WinDVD v.8.8.0. The results were terrible, as now WinDVD does not even start: I don't even get the splash screen. I thought that this could be due to the graphics driver, so I started experimenting with some older drivers. But even with the nVidia v.7.15.11.6760, the WinDVD BD process immediately after being run. Anyone had this issue?

8. vaio-tv

vaio-tv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Coolguy,

New Nvidia driver 310.90 is out.
    Hopefully, you will release an update soon.

Regards,

9. RyuOnline

RyuOnline Newbie

Reputations:
    Im still trying to get my 8400M GT in my VGN-FZ21M to install correctly on Windows 8 32bit
    I tried the 306.97 with nvszc file and I still get a exclamation mark in Devices & cant play games, certain video apps & 1080p video (smooth)due to it saying its not working correctly

can anyone point me in the right direction?

10. alidag

alidag Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you for whole your helps. I have looked for this drivers on the internet but I haven't reached right drivers until find you. your directions are avesome and it is the best way to fit problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.