Windows 7 64-bit drivers for the m15x (not M15x)

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by kobe, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hockinsonjohn

hockinsonjohn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    do you have your my hive info still? alienware wont let me sign up for one and i need to try to find a different command center

2. Pete- 7r0jan

Pete- 7r0jan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I still have a copy of the Ripley resource cd for the m15x if anyone needs it.. pm me.

3. drachyr

drachyr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'm almost certain i'm just doing it wrong in some way, but i'd really appreciate any help!

I've finally decided to upgrade my Area-51 m15x to Windows 7 64bit, and all goes well, right up to the nvidia graphics drivers installation part.
    I have managed to get 186.82 installed, but that appears either to simply not work, or not work well enough for games to actually run - such as minecraft or neverwinter. When I got the most up to date driver from the nvidia site, i just get the dreaded BSOD-reboot-BSOD loop whilst loading windows, but before getting as far as the desktop. I can start windows in safe mode, and roll back the driver, which then allows me to at least get back into windows to try other drivers, but i'm really hoping that it is possible to get Win7 working properly.

The BSOD error mentions dxgkrnl.sys if that's any help +)

I also found THIS tool, which does enable me to install drivers that previously thought they didn't fancy it.... but alas, no joy.

oh, also, i can't get the keyboard lights to work again. i've tried the steps mentioned early on in this post - about deleting the profile and creating a new one, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time to help out!

4. Pete- 7r0jan

Reputations:
    just encase.. I still have a zipped copy of the Ripley resource cd for the m15x in my dropbox.
    message me if you need it..

5. kobe

kobe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for keeping this resource thread going. I've long since parted from my m15x.

6. Pete- 7r0jan

Reputations:
    i sold mine too a few years back, only i wish i had kept it as it was the last pre-dell model :(

7. LA0214

LA0214 Newbie

Reputations:
    i just pass on this forum and I found your comment, I think it may be a great help if I can try this Ripley resource cd for m15x... thanks a lot

8. gameboy3800

gameboy3800 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    for both windows 7 x64 and vista x64, command center sees the computer as an area 51 desktop instead of an area 51 m17x. thanks to this, only half the keyboard lights up and the touchpad doesnt light up at all. also, video and touchpad drivers downright refuse to install on either os. pls fix nao.

9. BKarlo

BKarlo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this thread, I was able to get win 7 pro x64 installed on my 2008 Alienware m15x-r1 with minimal issues. I had the keyboard issue, used the 2010 drivers and followed the recommended install order and used the keyboard fix registry edit, the ripley registry edit, the touchpad drivers from the manufacture and the touch-pad driver fix prior to restarting. Now I am left with only 1 issue, fn+12 only generates a "touch-pad on" message from the OSD (win 7 version provided by dell, not the vista version with compatibility mode), and the light around the touch-pad stays on. If I plug in a mouse the light stays on but the touch-pad turns itself off and accepts no input (this is a good thing). I figure a touch-pad with a light forever on is better than a keyboard that is forever dark... And who cares about Aliensense (stupid program and annoying if you ask me). My power options in my command center also don't work as designed but I can use windows to select power options.

Now comes the great experiment, I was running windows vista x64 (manually installed because I ordered this laptop with 2 gb of memory and thus got vista x86 ultimate... then upgraded to a max of 4 gb), and vista ran quite well, no issues, great laptop, plastic wearing out but hardware still kicking and I only had to bake the 8800 gtx once! I should have taken pictures of my epoxy reinforcement project, anyway, I am going to install WINDOWS 10, yes, that's right, I am going to upgrade this way past expiration date laptop to Microsoft's latest and greatest operating system. I was going to do it this past weekend but I ran into keyboard lighting issues... anyway, fixed that and installed all the windows updates that windows update could find, I am on to upgrading to 10. Any one else do it? Any recommendations? Or should I take notes and provide what I find?

10. BKarlo

BKarlo Newbie

Reputations:
    Everything worked better than expected, system runs windows 10 great!.. On the Integrated Intel Card. Without Nvidia Drivers for the 8800 GTX I think I am out of luck. I tried to install the vista x64 ones without luck. I also let windows install the latest drivers from nvidia but then my monitor wouldn't turn on after the system booted... So after getting into safe mode and using the graphic driver sweeper, I am on the fence about staying on 10. At least 7 let you use the vista graphics driver and thus was still a computer you could play games on. If anyone knows of working 8800 gtx drivers for windows 10 let me know!