Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mustangii, Jun 24, 2021.

1. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree. Everything is so simple and reliable in Linux. Network interface (Intel e1000e) random disappearance. No IR (Windows Hello) camera support, no 4G (Lenovo Linux certified laptop) support. Wonderful, I love Linux too :)

anytimer likes this.
  2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I don't seem to have those problems, maybe, just maybe it's just......you.;)

Shawn likes this.
  4. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you using Windows Hello on your Linux PC? I've tried Howdy and couldn't make it to work because IR lights not turning on when needed. And there are no Linux drivers for Fibocom L850-GL. I've bought this laptop to use Linux as my main OS, but had to switch to Win10 after many attempts.
    At the same time my home linux server (cf-19 mk6 + Fedora 34) works very stable, except of that disappearing Intel e1000e network adapter.
    I understand this is more of a holy war :D

Shawn, safn1949 and anytimer like this.
  5. anytimer

Reputations:
    All this UEFI, secure boot, etc. ends up making things very difficult to install Linux on a laptop designed for Windows. You are basically left with two choices:
    1. Either buy a laptop designed to be Linux friendly.
    2. Use Linux running on Windows' own Linux subsystem.

My Clevo laptop will not run ANY Linux Live USB distro, and I'm too unfamiliar with how Linux works to be comfortable doing a bare metal install in a dual boot configuration.

6. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @anytimer , It's easy to install Linux on my Lenovo T14s AMD. Almost everything works, except those 2 components, but they are critical for me.

My Win11 Virtualbox doesn't want to boot anymore. And this time I don't want to install beta-preview-prerelease editions on my PC's :))

7. anytimer

Reputations:
    20000.71 just dropped on WU.

8. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Windows 11 running very nicely on CF-31 MK4. Just turned on UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM in BIOS, did a clean install of latest Windows 10 on an old 7200 rpm spinning drive I had laying around, and did "in place" Windows Insider upgrade. (I have 3 drive caddies for experimenting like this without messing up my working installs of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04.) After it downloaded most of the upgrade, I replaced apraiserres.dll with one from Windows 10 install disk. I'm not sure how well it would have done with a clean install, but all drivers are working. At least Device Manager does not show any not working. TPM is there, but not working exactly right. I think it needs a newer version (maybe).

TPM-error.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    BaRRmaley likes this.
  9. theoak2

Reputations:
    Other Windows 11 glitches:
    1. Could not calibrate touchscreen until I changed Touchscreen to Tablet mode in BIOS, which is unfortunate because Ubuntu works better with Touchscreen mode
    2. Occasionally (twice) get "Network Protocol" error (I've never seen that before)
    Things that work well:
    1. Panasonic Dashboard (surprisingly) including Touch Calibration, PC Info Viewer, Battery Recalibration, Power Plan Ex, GPS Viewer, and Ignition Mode
    2. Touchpad works as well as it ever did (which has never been impressive in any OS)
    3. Hot keys for Screen Brightness, Audio Volume, Keyboard Backlight. Haven't tried F7, F9, F10, or F11 yet
    4. Bluetooth & WiFi works including physical ON/OFF switch. WWAN seems to work too, but I don't currently have a Verizon account to verify that absolutely
    5. HDMI out works
    6. DVD drive reads DVDs, and burns them using built-in Windows burner software
    7. SD Card reader & USB ports work, and so far I have not gotten "device is busy" message when I try to eject
    8. PC Card & Express Card slots work
    9. Tecrotech Webcam works
    10. TPM shows up in Device Manager as "working properly", but the TPM settings app will not open and gives the error I showed before, and Windows has never asked me to record anything to TPM chip the way Ubuntu has, but this may be me not knowing what I am doing

safn1949 and Shawn like this.
  10. theoak2

Reputations:
    Update on TPM:

It seems that Microsoft installs their own driver for TPM 1.2. The package from Panasonic for Infineon software is outdated, and not needed for TPM to work. So I uninstalled that driver package.

However, the TPM version is 1.2 (on my CF-31 MK4) instead of the required 2.0. If your "Manufacturer version" is 3.16 and your "Specification version" is 1.2, there seems to be no way to upgrade to "Specification version" 2.0 as officially required by Windows 11.

But If your "Manufacturer version" is 4.32, 4.33, or 4.34 (Module SLB 9655 and SLB 9656) or version 4.40, 4.42, or 4.43 (Module SLB 9660), then Panasonic has a file to upgrade to "Specification Version" 2.0.