Windows 11 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I still come back to Windows just to use specific SW such as Adobe reader or MS Office etc which frankly has no alternative in Linux or any distro's store. The situation might improve in a decade once all infrastructure is cloud based or web based instead of proprietary solutions requiring specifically PC or mobile device rather than being platform/device agnostic.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Agreed -

The Windows party is long over. Childhood's End, as it were (with a nod to Sir Arthur C. Clarke).

- Trev

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Gumwars and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Trevayne10

Trevayne10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vasudev, you might want to consider running LibreOffice in Linux. It has close to 100% M$ Office functionality, and is 100% free. In some ways it is functionally superior to M$ Office.

-Trev

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I like LibreOffice a lot. It really is great. Some of the things I do for work using Excel and Word do not work with LibreOffice, but most things work fine. The part of Micro$lop Office that is the most difficult to cope without has no substitute; and that is Outlook. Nothing else I have found works as well for me. Truth be told, if there were one specific software application that would keep me using Windows with a grudge, it would be Outlook.

Gumwars likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  6. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's always Codeweavers. I ran a dedicated Linux laptop for work several years ago, Crossover (which isn't free, unfortunately, but is relatively inexpensive) had MS Office working just fine on my Ubuntu machine.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Thank you for the suggestion. I may have to check that out.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    One of the dozen or more things about Windows 11 and its dumbed-down UI that severely chaps my butt is the idiotic "Taskbar Corner Overflow" thing they have implemented in their quest to make the OS less likable. For some stupid reason they removed the option to "always show icons" that I have turned on for years, on every version of Windows. The only thing I am aware of that is even more stupid and extremely inconvenient that they have done is bastardized setting file associations in an effort to force people to use their crappy software (Edge and multimedia UWP filth apps).

A solution to the latter doesn't exist yet for tweaking file associations by application rather than file extension. Hopefully that will be forthcoming. But, I maybe have found a solution for the former ridiculously agitating design flaw.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/hide-or-show-icons-in-taskbar-corner-overflow-menu-in-windows-11.415/

Turn On or Off "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" in Control Panel

If this option is turned on, you will not be able to hide icons in the taskbar corner overflow menu. <<< awesome... exactly what I want

1 Press the Win + R keys to open Run, copy and paste the shell:::{05d7b0f4-2121-4eff-bf6b-ed3f69b894d9} command into Run, and click/tap on OK to open the "Notification Area Icons" Control Panel item.

2 Check (on) or uncheck (off - default) Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

[​IMG]

I am not certain if this is going to fix the issue with icons I have already selected to show randomly not showing and having to go back into Settings and turn on the slider switch for it repeatedly. When I run that shell command on my system the box is already checked.

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Replace the taskbar with the retrobar under Windows 11 and do not display it in groups deskmodder.de Sept 4, 2021

As a little hint for those who don't particularly like the new Windows 11 taskbar . If you want to replace this taskbar with a Windows XP, ME or Windows 2000 taskbar and thus also remove the grouping in the taskbar, you should read on.
    [​IMG]

The small portable tool Retrobar makes it possible. Once you have started it, the Windows 11 taskbar is automatically hidden. You can look in Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar. The retro bar is now located there. With a right click in the task bar you not only have the settings, but also the task manager again.

Info and download:

steberg and Normimb like this.