Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Then you won't notice much difference in W7. Multi-tasking is fine on W7, its multiple-instances of the apps that causes issues. I've switched mostly everything to Linux with 10 years of LTS updates for care-free life.
    Its looks like you're outdated on UWP matters; UWP apps and live tiles are dead they don't have any dependency and most of them are broken after updates except for Xbox,Your Phone app. Shelf life of MS user apps are so low that by the time you get adjusted to it they will be deprecated or EOL'ed, I'd rather go with Normal Win 32 apps that works and has longer shelf life. Switching took lot of time and adjusting but it was worth it!

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, you're 100% correct. In fact, I'm sure I am outdated on UWP matters. I do not care about UWP apps and don't really care one way or the other what happens to worthless UWP filth... totally irrelevant to me. I am spending equal, maybe slightly more, time with Linux than Windows 7/10. I want to get as geeky with Linux knowledge as I am with Windows. I'm still not thrilled with the lack of awesome software for Linux, but I am equally un-thrilled with what a smelly pile of dog excrement Windows 10 is. I want to be prepared for the day that I can no longer get drivers and/or cannot activate Windows 7 because Windoze OS X is not the answer. I'll just have to give up 90% of the computer-related things I care about today in order to not have to put up with their stupidity.

Edit: You'd be proud of me, Brother @Vasudev. I had an audio issue on Linux Mint. Only my HDMI audio worked with my crappy monitor speakers. I could not get any sound output to my 5.1 speaker system though the audio output jacks. I researched the issue and determined it was a bug in the kernel and updated Mint to kernel v5. I still only have 2 channel output (not sure why 5.1 doesn't work) but I am finally getting audio to the nicer speakers instead of the tinny "AM radio" garbage monitor speakers.

I've been breaking Linux over and over by tweaking things and having to figure out how to fix the messes I have made by tweaking. I hate to admit it, but that is fun in sort of a sick and demented way. Linux seems to be quite fragile compared to Windows. You can tear up all sorts of things with Windows and it will still run, but it doesn't take much to upset the apple cart with Linux and end up with an unbootable OS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  3. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How many instance are you talking about? I have 15 instances of control panel items open, and working in them, and see no stutter, or lag? I can switch through them all, and its like butter. All while running cinebench 15?? So I have no idea what you a referring to. My Asus Rog with an Intel core i7 3610qm. I will do the same with my desktop, and I guarantee it will be the same.

multiple.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Try opening the multiple instances of system info on different windows with different views/options. Use default Aero/basic theme for testing. Theme/UI packs changes the behavior sometimes. Do you have latest updates say March updates installed using Simplix update 19.40 or higher?
    @hmscott did you observe this issue?

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I'd advise setting up or tweaking speakers using alsamixer. Usually Analog/Digital Audio Duplex setting works flawlessly. If you've dGPU activate it and try HDMI audio through it. I always use nvidia gpu on Linux because Optimus is buggy.
    I'm proud of you, windows users find it difficult to setup Linux and they get used to after a year or two. It took me 3-4 years to adjust to Linux.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/comments/81pubz/enable_high_quality_audio_on_linux/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There is limited GDI memory, and in some instances you can run out of memory, while still having lots of memory left over.

IDK if that is what you are seeing, but try turning on swapfile / VM if you have it turned off in the guest image. Make sure you use a fast SSD for swapfile placement - VM container placement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lmited+gdi+memory

Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Thanks, it confirms my findings. + rep added. GDI+ is still a mess. VMware OS optimisation disables Swap file completely. I used tuned-adm to optimise my PC for guest OS and so far the issues were minimal. I will try using 1GB swap file. I allocated 5GB RAM for VMs and 2 cores with Intel VT-x and AMD VT/ET-x options checked in Vmware and VBox.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Alsamixer doesn't fix it. I've already tried that. It only recognizes the speakers connected to the primary front channel/connector. The rear, center and subwoofer channels are not identified by Alsamixer. I also tried Pulseaudio and that doesn't work. I don't use HDMI audio. I have no way to connect my 5.1 speaker system through HDMI. They use 3.5mm connectors, attached to the Sound Blaster Recon3Di audio on my motherboard. About 25% of the time Linux doesn't recognize my Corsair K95 USB 3.0 keyboard is connected on first boot and I have to reboot. It always sees it the second time, which is kind of weird. Even when it does see it, I see errors about USB port descriptor failures as Linux is booting (verbose mode is nice). That is the same on all kernel versions I have tested.

alsamixer.jpg

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Can you post a screenie of audio mixer especially Audio output. Then again, I'm a Linux user who prefer older systems than bleeding edge PCs, for cutting/bleeding tech working on Linux, contact @Dennismungai ; He has lot of use cases and will build a custom kernel for you w/ fixes from source.
    Is the Recond 3di from EVGA Dark mobo? Try this alsa upstream build https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ubuntu/alsa-daily/+packages

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please let us know what you find works best. :)

Even a small 1GB-2GB pagefile should be enough. You can optimize by placing it on another spindle, you can tune via Windows and via vCenter if you use it, and other VM tuning options. Storage layout and options matter as well. Using a large distributed storage solution adds another dimension.

If you can run without pagefile that is best for most applications, perhaps you can try bumping up the RAM allocation to 8+GB as a test to see if that helps blossom the available resources - with and without pagefile.

Mr. Fox, Vasudev and Raiderman like this.