Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. S.SubZero

S.SubZero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting. My engineers use a variety of CAD and PCB design tools and they are all certified for Win8+. I don't even know the full scope of the apps they use (they tend to load stuff after we give the machines to them) but yeah, nobody has come to us asking for a different Windows. This company is relatively new, so the tools they use tend to be brought in by choices made in the last few years. Maybe that gives them a certain advantage in not being stuck using particular apps long-term.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    This is a good article detailing all the new MS stuff coming out including lots of stuff for Windows 10: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

And also here an interesting quote from Nadella: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...ms/satya-nadella-windows-10-interview-1282205

"The free Windows 10 upgrade isn't about giving Windows away (especially to companies); it's more about making sure Windows 7 doesn't turn into another Windows XP, hanging around for years. "There are two things we are really focused on; one is to really make sure Windows 10 is a fantastic upgrade experience for even Windows 7 customers, even on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard. It's familiar but you can get all this new value. And then we hope that one year promotional offer really helps a lot of Windows 7 customers move over.""

At least they acknowledge the fail that is Windows 8. I like that he says... "Windows 10 is a fantastic upgrade.... even on a desktop with a keyboard. It's familiar..."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    ajkula66 likes this.
  3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Imagine: Dx9 era. Then MS decides to make DX10 where Dx10 games are not compatible with Dx9 computers and game can't be both Dx9-10. Dx10 games pay royalties to MS, are faster BUT has no Antialiasing (again, just imagine). After every 2nd gamer put balls on WinGamingShop MS creates Dx10.1, 10.1 Update 2 and then finally Technical Preview of Dx12 (why no Dx11?) with Master Chief in EVERY Dx12 game (optional for game developers) and with just FXAA and promises about MSAA for AA lovers.
    Many gamers decide to buy this trick and then comes January Technical Preview of DX12 without FXAA but with only SSAA (which people did by hacking monitor drivers anyway) and Nadella claims it is best and fastest DX EVAR.

Mr.Koala likes this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I wonder, will there be a possibility to grab the upgrade without installing OS. I currently have 3 unused Windows licenses (7/8/8.1), it would be really neat if I could upgrade those two 8 OSes to 10 without installing them.

5. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If a customer has Allen-Bradly hardware, then Rockwell Automation software is the only choice as it is propitiatory. A one year license cost me $4,800 this year, which is freaking pricey.

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    "The free Windows 10 upgrade isn't about giving Windows away (especially to companies); it's more about making sure Windows 7 doesn't turn into another Windows XP, hanging around for years."

This assumes that the following version(s) are even accepted as well as Vista and then Windows 7. Vista eventually became a stable and well accepted OS. Without saying Windows 7 just blew away all prior x86 operating systems (as far as the market is concerned).

Arguably Windows 8 is more of a failure than Vista, especially where the UI is concerned. Just to have Windows 7 only be the thorn XP was would mean Windows 10 has to be a major success, not just "It is now good enough" as far as the UI. So far they just have no shown that to us. In the end something drastic would have to be done to dethrone Windows 7.

When I mean drastic I do not then mean something to force consumers to upgrade. We have seen where that gets them. Something drastic as in a miracle UI that will just blow everyone away!

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I don't think they need to blow people away, I think they just need to include a familiar legacy interface.

8. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bah... 8 GB or RAM

alexhawker likes this.
  9. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen Windows 10 being pushed as the OS that will cater to users' main complaints ie Start Screen (I personally love Windows 8.1 and the Start Screen), while not really addressing the speed of the OS. Is it safe to assume the OS will be just as fast if not faster than Windows 8? Is that a good thing to assume it will have? As we saw with Vista, it was a complete travesty. 7 fixed almost everything about it but 8 became an even faster and lighter OS, so to speak...

10. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    The difference between Windows XP and Windows XP SP3 is greater than the difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I wouldn't worry about anything slowing down. So far everything is in the same vein as Windows 8.1, just adding a few features and tweaking things compared to the previous OS.

pizzasogood likes this.