Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a good strategy. One of the unfortunate truths of Linux is that new hardware lags support in Linux for the most part - CPU's and motherboard chipset's are usually quickest for support.

I see many trying to get Linux to work on brand new day one laptops and they are usually set for disappointment as there aren't drivers for the new components. Even if the CPU / motherboard chipset work, all the other peripherals usually aren't.

I do this myself, but am prepared with dongles for peripherals that won't work, and don't worry about dead ports as I know they will eventually - months, a year, or so - will be supported, and I can work around it to get the OS I need for work.

Porting new drivers into old kernels, making new drivers for new hardware, making new kernels work with old unique custom drivers, it's all part of supporting Linux in a work environment that needs fast new hardware, but also needs legacy OS support on some projects.

That's all a lot of highly experienced specialized work that requires lots of time and effort - but usually rests on the heads of 1 or 2 people even in large companies, it's not expertise easily taught quickly - it takes a lot of trial and error learning to really know and do on demand that kind of work.

Unfortunately that's the kind of work it takes to make new hardware work on the OS you want to use, and can be very time consuming and take you away from your primary purpose(s) in wanting Linux on a new laptop.

If there were demand for Linux on laptops, then vendors putting out laptops would have their own teams writing the drivers and porting the OS(s) to the new hardware, making that available to new owners of their hardware, just like they do for Windows.

It's a chicken and egg thing, and right now the "chicken" is on the wrong side of the road... :D

2. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like Linux in the way that it sets itself up for you with little fuss. However, I am one of the many Windows 'broken' guys that grew up with DOS, QDOS and then went up the ladder with Windows such that I know how to move around via a good file manager like Directory Opus, find files, work with apps, change drivers, and all the crap you have ot do to keep it running. I've tried to achieve the same prowess with Linux and MacOS but always found my eyes glazing over and then throwing in the towel.

Not to mention all thus handy utilities that don't have an equivalent in Linux.

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is interesting. Look it's a wide, wide world out there, and everyone has a different take. I myself found I can do more with shell scripts and Linux than I could ever do with Windows, power-shell, batch files and the little add-on apps.

Also, @hmscott makes a great point in that at this point in time, the latest and greatest tech may have support issues on Linux until someone gets around to implementing it. However, if things keep progressing the way they are at MS, I'm hopeful that over time as people start abandoning Windows, companies may release Linux drivers to mitigate those wait times.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Papusan, Vasudev, Aroc and 1 other person like this.
  4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with 'configuration inertia' here. There's no reason to mess with a working Windows system that you have tweaked so it is 'just right'... that is unless you've really just had enough of the BS and want to make a fresh start.

However, with that said, if you have an old system that is no longer used and would like to try to breathe some new life into it, or are starting over with new hardware, it's really not that big of a deal to create a Linux install or even install Linux in a dual-boot situation, so you can explore and see what it has to offer.

KING19, Papusan, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How ironic.
    Linux was once considered unknown territory and reserved for hard-core gentlemans and ladies. Windows were for noobs who barely know how to use a computer.
    Now Windows takes more time to be set up compared to Linux, not to mention god-knows how much telemetry and crapware is installed, even on "Pro".

6. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly!! :oops:

I remember that when I was having an old laptop (Lenovo G510) ... there were two version of it... one comes with Windows OS and the other ones comes with Linux OS by default (cheaper ones) so... I took the cheaper ones (which have Linux OS installed by default) and then I took HDD snapshot through O&O DiskImage through USB and then formated & I putted my own Windows 10 :) and after I bought a new Laptop.. (see my signature..:cool:). I decided to use my old laptop for work purposes so... I simply restored Linux OS through also O&O DiskImage to my old laptop Lenovo G510 and I use it mainly for my work ;)

It is a bless when you get a Laptop with Linux OS by default from OEM because it is made specially for it and guaranteed everything will work without issue ;) + always cheaper when you know it comes with Linux by default :rolleyes:

Sometimes... I dream about having a gaming Linux laptop :( but reality have no mercy :oops: if there's one laptop with very good specifications with working dGPU and with full support updated drivers from OEMs... I'm ready to sell my two kidneys for it :notworthy::p:D

Raiderman, Papusan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of using LiveCD creator to slipstream all updates and driver packs for nvi optimus based laptops. Most of them find it a PITA to setup Linux.

I still use Lenovo G500 and only issue is the hinge and palm rest assembly which was broken since I didn't have tools to open it and used a hair slade or whatever because the BIOS booted in debug 80H mode and I selected Keyboard and Mouse reset and it was stuck at Black screen. Pressed some random keys and went to debug mode to reset it to defaults.
    I think I have to find parts esp. i5 or i7 39xx series CPU, a palm rest assembly and separate hinge assembly if prices are good. Older parts are hard to find and prices are outrageous.

8. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone know why what I have deleted keeps popping back up on my desktop? Is the system restore dumping it there? I deleted these items and emptied the trash can.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Reinstall Windows 10 Offline - The Benefits deskmodder.de

Some will surely ask, "Why should I do that?" Here are the benefits:

• A local account will be created, which can be given a name, which will then be displayed completely as user name of the user folder. For MS account (online) only the first 5 letters are taken.
    • Windows 10 does not scan the hardware during the installation and then automatically searches for the latest updates as well as the hardware drivers. This will not save any information in the registry that is otherwise retrieved when Windows Update checks for the latest updates and drivers.

Aroc, jaybee83 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Disable System restore and use Linux livecd to delete System volume information folder. If they don't solve your issue try running Antivirus livecd from kaspersky or eset or Dr. web to disinfect any malwares.

eth3rton likes this.